Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does NYRB still hold his MLS rights?

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    For comparison's sake, here are some mini-bios of the non-Olosundes who are leaving Man U, per Wikipedia and other sources (done quickly, may not be 100% accurate):
    • James Wilson -- English '95, EYNT cups of coffee through U21, decent number of recent appearances on loan to Aberdeen and Sheffield United
    • Regan Poole -- Welsh '98, WYNT appearances including several at U21 level, recent appearances on loan to Newport County
    • Matty Willock -- English '96, some recent appearances on loan to St. Mirren and Crawley Town
    • DJ Buffonge -- English '96, 1 Montserrat MNT cap, smattering of recent appearance on loan to clubs in low English levels
    • Zak Dearnley -- English '98, some pre-U17 EYNT appearances, some recent appearances on loan to Oldham Athletic
    • Callum Whelan -- English '98 who was on loan to Port Vale in second half of this season
    • Tom Sang -- English '99 who was on loan to Fylde in second half of this season
    • Tyrrell Warren -- English '98
    • Millen Baars -- Dutch '00 with some Dutch U19 callups

Winoman repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You can't get past how one-footed Amon is and how he plays too individualistic at times, but the dribbling ability, speed, creativity, passing ability is all there, and the end-product was good enough (considering it was a up and down injury-filled season). I also think the "low soccer IQ" comments some have labeled him with are not correct. He shows a good soccer IQ at times, but plays too individualistic at other times, so its not a matter of whether the IQ is there, its developing his game to the point where he's making the right play for the team more often.

1133890722460053504 is not a valid tweet id

olephill2, Patrick167 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't confirm that these players are American, so take it for what its worth, but here are some names that haven't been talked about much that I've found in the Football-Talents database with an American listing.

Matthew Loo ('99): Wide player at Greuther Furth II. The first team plays in the second division of Germany. He was a regular starter this season playing LM, RM and LB. He had 4G, 2A in 1546 fourth division games this season.

Zorhan Bassong ('99): LB at Cerle Brugge. He's previously been discussed on this website, but there's never been confirmation that he's American. DMN found an article saying he had an American mother, but thats all thats known about his American links. He is listed with Belgian and Canadian eligibility by transfermarkt with two Belgian U19 caps two years ago. Cercle Brugge played in the first level of Belgian Football this season, and Bassong made the bench once in February. He moved in the January transfer window from Lille B.

Christian Miller ('99): LB at Augsburg II in the same division as Loo. He only played eight games this season totaling 646 minutes, but he did start six of the first eight games, so I do wonder if there was some injury that had him out of action.

Gabriel Weiss ('99): Secondary striker at Ingolstadt II in the same division as Loo and Miller. He played 1900 minutes this season and scored two goals. Not a very effect

Marcus Gouldbourne ('00): Midfielder (not clear which position) at Stevenage. They play in League Two (the English fourth division). He was on the bench once in the EFL Trophy in October. He was born on the last day of 2000.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

PalmettoSpur and Winoman repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I respectfully submit that the right thread for players who haven't been confirmed as American is the YA thread dedicated to figuring out whether players are American. The Soccer Talents database in particular is a very mixed back that includes dudes on college club and high school teams, though it has yielded some pleasant surprises.

Bassong in particular is one where there's very little other indication that he's eligible. Canada's FA has him as Canadian-born to parents who were both born outside of Canada, but not in the U.S. That is not to say he might not have American blood in there but ... who knows, at this point.

This thread seems like a good place to track interesting known quantities.

This one seems like a good place to ... find some more quantities:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/th...-guy-is-a-yank-detective-work-thread.1987805/

(Aspiring sleuths, please apply!)

Of course, I'm not a mod, so if people want this stuff here too, fair enough.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1136069002890022912 is not a valid tweet id

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1136747840364060672 is not a valid tweet id

PalmettoSpur, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I still prefer he goes out on loan. He's good enough to be playing above 3. liga

10. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    He has a nice pass with his left foot, but yes he generally can't dribble with it.... Or at least he doesn't trust it.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Soto and Mendez are being scouted by Leeds

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Mini-profiles of the other guys promoted along w/Richards:
    • Can Karatas: Turkish-German '00
    • Josip Stanisic: Croatian-born German '00, somewhat high-profile YNT defector from country of his birth
    • Daniels Ontuzans: Latvian-German '00 who moved to Germany from Skonto Riga to join Augsburg
    • Marcel Zylla: German-Polish 00, Polish U20, apparently managed by Alex Zahavi's great-uncle

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It's not bad to be scouted by a club that has a good chance to play in the Premier League in another season, but I don't like our players signing in England, if they have other options that aren't worse than England.

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And they're not qualifying for a Work Permit to begin with

15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yeah, seems like a step down to me. Echoes of Julian circa 2015. Richards could benefit from some Eredivisie seasoning or the like.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

It sorta all depends on what Bayern's plans are. If their plans are to have him play with Bayern II most of the season, but then also play some first team games (maybe cup competitions or the like)……….…...then I can get behind that for a 19 year old. I'd certainly rather have him play in Bundesliga II with a first team than play a whole season with Bayern II.

Typically, our elite prospects in Germany have skipped over that level. McKennie, Pulisic, etc. I think Sargent played 10 games or so at that level.

It'll be interesting to see what Bayern does in the transfer market in defense. As of this moment, they have very little depth at centerback with the first team. And what they do have is getting on the older side (Humels and Boateng are both over 30 now).

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    3.Liga is like the equivalent of playing FC Cincinnati and USL type teams. Chris is better than that level, but it’s still not horrible for a 19 y/o and I imagine he’d be training with the 1st team a lot.

We’ll know more about their plans come the winter break.

TarHeels17 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They have Sule, Hummels, Pavard and Hernandez. Mai is a young CB before Richards in the pecking order, although he could be sent out on loan. I doubt Richards will play more than a game or two next season. They also haven't sold Boateng yet, despite it being expected that they will.

TarHeels17 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '99 Edwin Lara is one of 16 healthy players in preseason camp for Club Leon's first team. (Yarbrough is also there.) Might have a shot at first-team minutes, but we'll see.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a bad spot to land, if he plays. First division club in Switzerland.

1140325075381604354 is not a valid tweet id

Here's a report from Sciaretta on Sabbi moving.

bballshawn, Winoman, Luksarus and 2 others repped this.
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Javi Martinez can also be deployed at CB as well.

also the idea of Bayern playing a youth player in a Cup when we started the 1st team even vs 2 RL clubs last season..........

and Matthew Loo ('99) seems out of Furth II.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Video courtesy of @ShaftBrewer. Richards plays as if he's 6'5/6'6, but he's only 6'2. Thats what might make him so good.

1140685274021879809 is not a valid tweet id

ShaftBrewer and Winoman repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And when he has the ball he is playing as if he is 5'9". The kid has no ceiling.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A gentle reminder that FCD negotiated a substantial "sell-on" fee when they sold Chris to Bayern..................

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Easily the best of an Uber talented US squad. Followed by Pax. Good to see FCD continuing to make smart moves.