Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They lost 4-0

Winoman repped this.
  2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kutucu has come in and played very well for Schalke and looks like a legit pro. Wright was already just getting minutes based on Schalke having sold all their best players and then inevitably getting some injuries. At this point he’s just squad filler for Schalke, and Schalke are bad.

3. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    1107325557069529088 is not a valid tweet id

Blaine Ferri with another goal and assist for Gruther Furth. Finding his stride and doing well overseas. Will be fun to watch him advance in Bundesliga.

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

92% was 58 of 63 in passing.

6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Cappis started for Hobro in Danish Superliga action. Continuing to build his case for the U20s after a strong camp.

don Lamb, TxEx, KUSA77 and 3 others repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He’s now started six matches in a row.

TxEx, kba4life1 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I feel like Pomykal’s emergence as as 8 in MLS compresses “new options” in central midfield for U20’s. Pomykal, Mendez, Durkin and perhaps Servania as locks? Maybe leaves one open spot for Cappis, Carleton or Ledezma to grab.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Mendez should not be a lock, IMO.

deejay repped this.
  10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Who else would you slot there?

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn’t say he shouldn’t be on the team. I said he shouldn’t be a lock. I don’t think it’s smart to give out roster spots to players only based on games against vastly inferior competition to what we’ll face at the U-20 WC. A few players seem to have been awarded spots based on qualifying. If they earn a spot based on the full range of considerations, they should be on the team.

As for options centrally, I think you start with Durkin and Sands as the two holding mids in front of the two other CM’s. Then you have to decide how many in the 8/10/double 8 spots and how many of each type of player. I think at least 3, maybe 4 of those players. Some of them also might be able to play as third string in the holding role or as a back up winger. Who are the players in consideration? I think the main ones are Pomykal, Carleton, Mendez, Ledezma, Cappis and Servania. I’d personally pick the first four, but I’d be tempted to include Cappis.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    "I'm not saying I wouldn't pick Mendez. I'm just saying YOU shouldn't" almost feels like the BigSoccer YNT version of saying "You know, state schools are a perfectly good alternative to the Ivy League" while wiring $500K to the offshore account of Dartmouth's coach. ;)

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Your comparison makes no sense because I didn't say he shouldn't be picked or anyone should think he shouldn't be picked. There's a difference between thinking a player shouldn't be a lock and whether a player should be on the roster.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You could've stopped there. It was a joke. If you've noticed any of my other jokes, they tend to come in around the same level.

Winoman repped this.
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if it means anything yet but '00 US U19 Declan McGlynn is currently in the Netherlands and was at the NAC Breda - VVV Venlo match today. He has been playing for Seattle University.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is this during Seattle U's spring break or is he missing class? That is usually a big sign for what a player is intending to do, in terms of going back to school.

Also, do we know if he's trained/trialed at these clubs or just been at their games?

He had a strong freshman season at Seattle, scoring 6 goals and 5 assists in 18 games while being named WAC freshmen of the year. That followed a really strong senior year with Crossfire when he scored 27 goals in 33 USSDA games.

There's some there there. How much is TBA but this kid can play some.

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was his Instagram story which showed him live at the Breda match, and he said it was "Match 3" presumably of his current trip. Not really sure what that means. He also just started following NAC Breda's account. Isn't following other Dutch team accounts. Also, he follows Ireland national team stuff so he might well have access to an Irish passport if he wants to play elsewhere than the Netherlands.

Sandon Mibut and Luksarus repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Weah back doing damage in Scotland..............
    1113519337321705472 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    EPB started his seventh game in a row. Breda won 2-1. This was the first win for Breda in 12 games.

EPB should be called into the Gold Cup team, IMO.

don Lamb and TarHeels17 repped this.
  20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what I think about EPB. But simply starting 7 consecutive games and getting A win in ONE of them (literally, one) is not reason for him to be on the Gold Cup squad. First of all, it has to be about his performances, not about whether the team eked out a win. I want to see a string of games in which he is credited by neutral media. He has it in him, and that's what we should demand of all players who desire to be called in. It would be hypocritical of me to say otherwise, just because it is Palmer-Brown.

frankburgers and don Lamb repped this.
  21. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    If there’s one thing EPB needs right now, is club stability. If he plays in gold cup he won’t be able to join a team for preaseaon until late July/early August....not ideal as presumably it’ll be another loan with a new team.

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we have to take note of is that the 2019-2020 season is the final season that teams get to have these obscene amounts of players out on loan. After that, FIFA has mandated that you can have no more than what … 7 or so? So this upcoming season is going to be HUGE for players like EPB, CCV, Miazga, and even Steffen. These are all players that are going to have to show something, if not to the parent club, to some other GOOD team watching them on their loan spells. Otherwise, after next season, they could easily be on poor teams, in poor situations.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What’s gonna happen if you have a contract with city and they’ve already loaned out 7 guys? I’m guessing you either ride the bench in reserves or get sold somewhere and players can’t get sold to places they don’t want to go.

24. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    What's going to happen when teams realize Chelsea wants to sell guys but gets lowball offers? Is Chelsea going to eat their investment or force fringier players to waste away in the reserves because they refuse to sell for less than they paid?

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably would take whatever to get out of the contracts for guys they really don’t want. Like the players in the squad 40 through 50. But probably will hang on to guys with minimal committed salary or fringe players if lowballed