Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB's WhoScored rating of 8.4 was in the top five for today's Eredivisie matches.

2. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    He needs a strong showcase the rest of this season given the fact that City will probably have to sell him with the proposed FIFA rules on limiting loans

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which may actually be a good thing. If so he goosed the system by getting more money with City and then moving on soon to another club that may have more of his improvement in mind than a club with a loan army. I will add that even though we have several kids that struggle in that loan army we also have some that have also struggled picking out there own smaller clubs. Fit, health and luck also are important. Back to EPB i I'm glad he is getting his chance and looking better. Up until now he's been the biggest miss of a can't miss prospect of mine. He along with Richards is one of the few quicker backs needed to pair with our army of big aerial beasts like Besler used to be. The US cranks out the big backs all the time but the complimentary quicker ones are rare.

eliwood repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1099697408085319680 is not a valid tweet id

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't see this week's game, so its hard to be too sure about context I don't know. From the every touch video I saw though, I thought he was better the week prior against Ajax. Two good performances in a row.

This is the level of play he can show consistently. He was about average/slightly above average in the earlier games this season. He can play better than he was playing, but he was unfairly benched due to one terrible performance. Its probably because he's a loanee. Their other players who play much worse aren't benched for one bad game.

ChuckMe92 and scholes181818 repped this.
  7. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Thought he was good vs Ajax (relatively speaking). Crossing my fingers that he's done enough to get a good run of games.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Duane Holmes is too old for this thread but his story is relevant. He just about disappeared for four years but he is back and playing very well. He could get a move to the EPL in the next 18 months. We have all these young players and people are so quick to discard them after a few weeks of not hearing about them. One good USMNT focused podcast did a draft of Americans to fill out three NT rosters. They then solicited comments on players they left off on Twitter. I responded that I thought it crazy that they picked 7 CBs (someone had a CB at LB) and never even mentioned EPB. They responded that he has done nothing on loan. Dismissed based on a couple of months.

Same thing happened with Horvath. Robinson is 21 and is totally forgotten because someone stepped on his ankle in USMNT camp. Wright is two years younger than Holmes. Miazga was dropped off the depth chart because his manager was unfairly making an example of him. Could write an entire post on how people have metaphorically flushed Pulisic down the toilet already.

EPB might have figured something out or not and it was just whim keeping him on the bench. He is still very young and hopefully he is getting a shot. CCV was in a similar situation, an injury happened, and now he is playing very well for a good club. But people have already moved on from CCV.

btlove repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know which podcast you are referring to, but what are the chances these people actually watch these players consistently, have a real idea about their skill-sets and have a good idea how they would fit into the NT at their position?

I'd say the chances are slim.

Not all players have equal talent. EPB is as talented as a professional CB as we've produced. I'm sure they named the usual cast of "in their prime CB" like Zimmerman, Parker, maybe they even mentioned Alvarado or Opara. We know their level. Its not very high. Unless the reasoning is that a player out of form shouldn't be playing for the NT currently (which I agree with), its likely ignorance that EPB wasn't named. Also, most NT fans have advocated for players to be called into the NT who couldn't possibly show NT form because they aren't full time first team players, so I doubt its form-related.

There's no guarantee with any player being a good professional player, but EPB has been underrated for years due to the lack of games I suspect most have watched. If we are judging which prospects have the best chance to make it as high level professionals, he should be near the top of that list. At the end of their careers, the most talented players are usually the best players. I think its a little too early for the criticisms that he doesn't accumulate enough games. A lot of that has been bad luck. He's had nowhere near the luck with his club situation that players like Pulisic, McKennie, Adams have had.

Patrick167 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Winoman repped this.
  11. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Great news for American Soccer fans. It looks like he is fitting in nice with the pro soccer culture and taking to the inking of the arms, unless I missed those before.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Now he just needs the neck tattoo....................

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It appears that Gloster is training with the first team..................

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    One of their LB/LWBs just fractured a rib. He could make the 18 this weekend.

15. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    [​IMG]

Blaine Ferri starts and scores for Greuther Furth in Germany U19s. They have been on a long break.
    He started in the U17 WC for the US a few years back now making way his way in Germany.

Winoman repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If they appear in the Bundesliga, we will have had seven YNT eligible players (Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Sargent, Wright, Soto and Gloster) who will have played in the Bundesliga this season. Next season, Richards, Booth, Mendez, Llanez and Taitague, to name a few, could be added to the list.

Five years ago, one of these players appearing in the Bundesliga would be big for our program.

1102924082209873920 is not a valid tweet id

xbhaskarx, ChuckMe92, don Lamb and 5 others repped this.
  17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1104094797550231555 is not a valid tweet id

xbhaskarx, Winoman and Peretz48 repped this.
  18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Soto scored yesterday for the U-19's. I doubt he'll be in the 18 for the first team today.

1104538010140504064 is not a valid tweet id

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    What a gratuitous potshot at Tillman. Decent (at best)...maybe a typo?

btlove repped this.
  22. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Doyle's MO......definitely not a typo

ChuckMe92, DHC1 and eliwood repped this.
  23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Well, that's the news from American Soccer Online, where all the takes are strong, all the posters are good-looking, and all the attacking prospects are above-average."

24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late '98 Kevin Lankford starts for promotion-chasing St. Pauli. Perhaps he's in U23 contention.

Luksarus repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Alex Mendez with Freiburg U19s yesterday. Looks to me like they won this game 4-0.

From this morning. A bench player for the U23s? TIme to get out of Schalke (which we already knew).

USSoccerNova repped this.