Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What up-and-coming player doesn't want to play for an NT. To me, this sounds like he is keeping his options open. I don't like it.

2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is too small for CB duty. I see him as a possible DM

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug.

Dest will play an important role with our U20s, and then potentially be involved with our U23s (who, fingers crossed, will name a coach soon).

What I will say about Dest is that he does play against adult pros on a routine basis in the Dutch 2nd division. So there is plenty of tape for Berhalter and staff (plus scouts) to pour over. And we have called up a player from the Dutch 2nd division recently (Novakovich at Telstar prior to promotion).

I personally think Berhalter gets past this January camp and will then start the "casting a wide net" phase prior to the Gold Cup and League of Nations. Would it stun me if a player like Dest is looked at for a relatively thin fullback pool? No, actually.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think you can take it that way, certainly it entered my mind when he said it. He didn't actually say he wasn't ready for the NT. What actually happened is that he didn't know Berhalter's name. He had not thought about playing for the USMNT.

So, yes, he is keeping his options open. But all these kids always do in the media.

He said, in the interview, that he really only took being a pro seriously in the past 12 months and that is why his improvement has been so rapid and recent. Part of his process might be to set short term goals and not worry about playing for Real Madrid at some point. His immediate goals are to get into the Ajax first team and play at the U20 WC with the USA. He could just be hyper focused on the short term.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Looking at Netherland's right back situation I would say that Dest could possibly get interest from them. None of the right backs have really claimed the position and they don't really play in top clubs. So, yeah.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He is going to the U20 WC with the USA. There is no reason for him to switch until then unless he doesn't want to go to that tournament. Even then, Ajax could just refuse his release. He can't play for NL if they are qualified.

After that point, we have the Gold Cup and LON games in the next three windows. Ajax cannot deny a senior call up to any of those. He could be injured or feign injury and push his decision off. He should be called up and cap tied sometime in those three windows unless he doesn't want to play.

We will see. He seems happy. It would have to be a Sarachan/Arena type thing where we don't call him at all after the U20 WC and nobody talks to him and the Dutch offer him a camp and he switches.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he could say he is afraid of flying.

In all seriousness, I don't doubt he is going to the U20WC, too bad the GC is at the same time. If he is voted tournament's starting 11 and/or defender of the tournament, then I would worry a lot because he would be up for grabs for months, that is when excuses would come up that he is either tired or wants to concentrate in club ball.

8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd have to file a one-time switch to play for them, and they'd have to be calling him up to a senior camp. There's no indication that they've done so, and if I remember correctly, there was an indication that he turned down a Dutch youth call-up to play for the U20's.

I think when he starts playing for Ajax, which is when the Netherlands might come calling, he'll get called up and capped by us.

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Chandler was actually afraid, but I didn't want to open that can of worms ;-)

Until he is cap tied, we will just have to worry about Dest. And Mendez, Ledezma, Llanez, and others. Hopefully, Stewart is on this. I believe one of those four guys said they have never heard from anyone besides Ramos.

But if I was being completely mercenary and I see 23 yr old Tete (Lyon) and 22 yr old Dumfries (PSV) and Bakboord (19, ahead of him at Ajax) and then look at the USA with Cannon (MLS) and Yedlin (29 in Qatar); I'd probably take my chances on the USA.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The thing is that their right back situation is only mildly better than ours. It might be that he gets called up by both NTs at the same time.

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just a matter of time on this one.

I won't be surprised if he's gone by the end of this transfer window.

ussoccer97531 and don Lamb repped this.
  13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest took Bakboord's spot on Jong Ajax.

14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Sorry.....

But to "table an offer" would mean that the offer is being put off for another time or postponed. I normally don't point stuff like this out, but it was used incorrectly in the exact same way in a headline on MLS.com recently...

15. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s how I use it as well, but in the UK and other English speaking countries it actually means the exact opposite. Ives source must be from across the pond.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @ClassicASN’s Tweet:
    1088184858541805568 is not a valid tweet id

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Weah has 2 goals in 2 games for Celtic.

Tom Collingsworth and DHC1 repped this.
  18. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Brilliant. I'm going to use that excuse every time I misuse a word: "I was just using the Caymon Islands vernacular..."

Sup Bro repped this.
  19. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celtic fans are notoriously hard to please. It’s not uncommon for new signings to be pilloried even after having positive starts. So it’s not exactly like on BS where there is a lot of enthusiasm-based hyping. Even the best players now don’t compare well to what longtime supporters have seen before. But many of these old-timers are drawing genuine comparisons to Larsson in his movement, the timing/simplicity of his shooting, his technique, and his initial burst of speed that creates separation. It’s moderated of course, understanding the opposition of the first two matches, but he’s wreaked havoc in the hour or so if field time. The general feeling is that it will be a privilege to watch him as he’ll make it to the top. It’s the most effusive praise for a new signing since van Dijk and Wanyama before him.

20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "They spoke with me, with the academy director, he said I should be seeing games with the U-19s and then if I am doing well, I could see games for Jong PSV. They told me to focus more on next season [for the first team]."

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think he was a sub for both games so on a per minute basis, he’s even more amazing....

22. ?? He was with Dest on the pitch when they got beaten up.

23. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he was playing LB, not his normal RB position. Dest was at RB.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas