Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just seems like a really high level right away. I guess I'm used to Germany where everyone plays U19 for a year, but jumping from the DA and a few USL games to the Eerste Divisie just sounds crazy impressive to me.

Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Speaking of the Eerste Divisie, Chelsea has loaned 97 MF Kyle Scott to Telstar, the same club that had Andrija Novakovich last year.

1018127565821628416 is not a valid tweet id

Novakovich parlayed a strong season there to a gig in the Dutch top flight.

SCSAutism, Winoman, USSoccerNova and 2 others repped this.
  3. The "reserve" team is in fact the Young team supplemented with first team players that need play time rithm after injuries and potential first team players getting ready for the jump. Plus they play against teams that put up a fight for promotion to the Eredivisie.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '99 former US U17 left back Edwin Lara has left Pachuca for Club Leon and is listed on their first team for the Apertura. He has not been called to Mexico U20s in 6 months, and that lone callup was his only Mexico callup of any level in almost the last two years. The same guy who beat him out at Pachuca is also who's beating him out with Mexico U20s. For what it's worth, Lara does call himself Mexican-American in his Instagram bio.

Pl@ymaker and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He is welcome back anytime, IMO.

Especially if he's starting regularly at left back!

Too bad Landon's not there this season. I bet he could do an awesome sales pitch for the US. Probably much better than William Yarbrough.

6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Looking at reports on the Hearts goalkeeper situation (they just brought in Zlamal, who has decent if not amazing pro experience, this season on a three year deal) I don't get much of a sense that he's expected to compete for the job this season. Of course, I haven't read every news article and fan forum post, and anything's possible.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was posted in his thread but not here.

1020301525871194112 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh Sargent better work out. Yikes

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The plot kinda thinkens. I don't know what this means.
    But Chris Richards accompanied the Bayern Munich first team on their pre-season trip, and played today against PSG! This is a VERY young Bayern squad as their World Cup players aren't playing yet. Still, I'm a little surprised he's been included in these first team activities! Good sign? If he really impresses, will Bayern press for a full transfer? This is one to keep an eye on.

1020691769636376576 is not a valid tweet id

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hey...…………………...Chris Richards wasn't the only American to play in that Bayern-PSG game. Tim Weah started and scored! Goal celebration needs a bit of work.

1020718019872546816 is not a valid tweet id

Sandon Mibut, TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Here's the pic we were waiting for...……….....

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yeah the whole thing is kind of odd, definitely unprecedented.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which part

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He's no Willingham.

18. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and was told to come over to this thread: I'm a fan of Argentinos Juniors, the only team in South America to have had 2 american born professional players and myself being a fan I guess was destiny, since I was born here and became a fan of that team in 1985 lol In 1989 we moved to Argentina and it solidified me as a fan. I have a blog, www.lapelotaenlacabeza.com (in spanish but I think you can translate it) and I interviewed Renato Corsi and Matko Miljevich, who recently signed his first professional contract and played today an exhibition game with the first team against Ferro Carril Oeste:

In 1985 the team won the Copa Libertadores and Renato Corsi was part of that team:

lapelotaenlacabeza.com/2016/06/22/podria-haber-jugado-en-el-mundial-de-1994/

lapelotaenlacabeza.com/2017/08/13/en-estados-unidos-preguntan-por-la-forma-de-trabajar-en-argentina/

19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bob Morocco, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That Weah goal is exactly why he’s a CF and not a winger. You want him in foot races with CB’s, not fullbacks.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. We see this kind of thing a bit in World football these days. There are a lot of these networks of clubs that have the same ownership, and they send their players around for training/friendly opportunities. What's good for us to know is that Bayern is taking this collaboration seriously. This FCD-Bayern agreement doesn't seem to be window dressing. There's substance to it. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

The exciting news here is that Richards seems to have impressed the Bayern staff to the point that they're comfortable picking him in a friendly. We know they're missing most of their first team defense. Fine. But they wouldn't throw him out there if they thought he was incapable of doing the job. A year ago I don't think Richards thought his first game as a pro would be Bayern Munich versus PSG! :) This has happened really fast for him.

Keep in mind he could have signed in Europe on a free a few months ago. And we know he was over there in Germany with his agent Corey Gibbs. [I'm not talking about the 10 day training session.]

With Chris I'm to the point where I'd love for Bayern to put a bid in for him after this 6 month training stint. Or maybe another club will be so impressed that they put a bid in. That's how this should work. The idea here is that unlike with McKennie, FCD will get paid. It wouldn't be a ton. How could it? Maybe what they got for Zendejas would be enough. To Bayern Munich or another Bundesliga club, that's chump change. For FCD that means something.

I don't think they'd stand in Richards' way if they got an offer. He wouldn't be scheduled to start next season anyway as Hedges and Zeigler are doing great as starters for FCD. Then they have a bunch of other homegrowns like Reaves, Cano, possibly Terwege that can serve as backups/USL starters. Richards has been with Dallas for only one academy season. This isn't a player like McKennie that they've invested 7-8 years in. If they get paid half a million for him then they should be ecstatic with their work. [And they should throw some money they Texans' way as well. Maybe pay for their clubs' entry into the Dallas Cup for a couple of years or something.]

TCS35, USSoccerNova and TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. Way2late

Way2late New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    I want this to work, not because it benefits FCD, but because it shows a pathway. That is exactly what ODP should do in the era of DA--create exposure to players that are in non-DA locations.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if FCD gets a small offer they should ask for a sell on. Agree about giving some money to Texans and the Alabama club. Would be smart recruiting for future players as clubs would know they are the only one or one of the few who do that.

gunnerfan7, TCS35, onefineesq and 2 others repped this.
  24. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Considering that BM made this agreement with FCD they're not going to lowball FCD on their first deal. 500k-1m is chump change for them but a big damn deal for FCD, the Texans, and his Alabama club. It could also be a test for training compensation. Regardless he's getting a fantastic football education for six months and being exposed to a ton of Bundesliga clubs who could also be interested if BM don't want him or want to flip/loan him out. His agent Gibbs is going to tout all this too.

Beyond that it bodes well potentially for Thomas, Cappis, etc. too.

25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    That's obviously a plus, but I also don't see any back to the goal game yet with Tim. A lot like Landon, he's explosive running at defenders.

And Tim's faster and stronger than most fullbacks too, and will only be better at those two as he becomes an adult.