Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I maintain that Silva was always one of the best players in his age group, and was a victim of Richie Williams bizarre managerial decisions in that U-17 cycle. Williams had no business changing the starting goalie from Silva to W. Pulisic. Silva was always the better player.

I watched some of Silva his freshman year at UCLA. He did reasonably well, considering the circumstances. It looked like a pretty talented team, but one that played nothing like a team. Mental mistakes all around. They'd be more talented than other teams, but find a way to not get results. And it seems like it was a combination of that and a much worse group of talent his second season. I like some of the keepers in some of the younger age groups (Garces, Las, Muse, Scott) and think thats where the #1 will come from, but in a three year window from '96-'98, I'm not sure Silva isn't the best of the Marcinkowski, W. Pulisic, Klinsmann, Caldwell, Vom Steeg, etc contingent.

TCS35, Sandon Mibut and Patrick167 repped this.
  2. If he's a free agent, he can sign at his birthday and play right away, apart from getting a work permit of course. But from FA point of view no problem.

3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @zlebmada’s Tweet:

Check out @KeithCostigan’s Tweet:

4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If they haven't already, the MLS teams have to approach the league office and ask for help. We've discussed training compensation/solidarity payments mandated by FIFA, but the USSF has claimed U.S. case law prevents its implementation. Therefore, MLS itself should look for a creative workaround so some relief is given to teams that lose promising players.

5. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty happy that Mendez and Ledesma are going out and getting looks with European teams. But I'd like to pose a question to everyone here: How often do we hear about a youth player going on trial at a European team do they actually sign with them?

Is it like 1 in 3 trials? 1 in 5?

To me Mendez and Ledesma have the talent to play on a European team, but who knows what happens with work permits and other outside issues.

Winoman, USSoccerNova and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken, but we just had one sign yesterday. Kevin Silva, the keeper from UCLA, signed with Hearts after a trial. I bet you're right and it might even be lower, like one in closer to 10.

7. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and I think there are also trials we don't catch just because it's some random American who has the right connections. And this is not to say that these trials aren't great or that we shouldn't be talking about them.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be wrong on this, but because Ledezma, as well as Mendez, signed a USL academy contract, they both should be eligible to play right away in Europe.

9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Ledezma was just on loan from the academy side. It may not have been Ledezma but I know someone was. Obviously, I don't know if this changes anything but it might.

10. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    How does that work if they don't have an EU passport? If you sign with USL can they sell you to Europe even if you are under 18 and have no EU passport?

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Players don’t need an EU passport for Germany or Holland. Although, Holland has higher salary minimums for non EU players.

Runhard repped this.
  12. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Thanks, but I also forgot Fifa Rule 19 may prevent them going over before 18 as well. Way too many hurdles for our young player to get to Europe.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    We need to keep a comprehensive list of alumni of MLS academies who never signed with an MLS team (or their USL affiliate) and had their first pro deal overseas.

Got to be a pretty interesting, and as we can see, growing list.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that different? I’m no USL expert, but I thought that that’s what academy contracts are.
    My bad, explained that poorly. I meant to say that they technically already had a pro deal, they’re allowed to sign outside a transfer window on a free. That helps Alex/Richie since their birthdays are both right outside the Summer window.

I don’t think they can sell players on academy contracts, though, and of course these guys have to wait until turning 18 to move to Europe, which is why the whole Academy contract thing is an important footnote in the first place.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah, once a player is 18, Germany is the easiest of the bigger Euro leagues for Americans to sign. Spain, England, and France much harder.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If Mendez gets an opportunity to play at Freiburg, he should take it. LAG has not shown that they are willing to play young Americans. He needs to either be playing regularly with the first team soon or go abroad, considering the low level. He's too good for the U-19 DA, and he's at an age where he should be towards the end of his USL career. Is there a plan for him to play in MLS next season? I doubt it. LA seems more concerned with building a Hollywood retirement side.

Ledezma's situation is different. I wouldn't say passing up PSV is wise, but RSL is a viable option.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So, amateur players from overseas on their first deal turning 18 can play right away in Holland but not Germany, where they have to be registered within a transfer window.

19. I doubt it is different in Germany, but I really dunno it.
    You have to be completely free of any membership or contract to sign at any moment in the Netherlands.
    Since the Dutch pro and "amateur" leagues are connected by pro/rel, changing clubs for amateurs also are restricted by transfer windows. Since recently it is now possible to transfer as an amateur in the winter stop too, while that has been restricted before to the summer.
    Amateur players without a contract in the Netherlands are members of a club and need to "transfer" in the summer after the season by signing out of their membership of the old club and going into a membership of the new amateur club. When moving to a pro club it is essential to sign off in the summer window before a certain date.
    Transfer windows only apply to players that are under contract with a club. When they arenot they are free to sign up at any time with a club as it is with a normal business and employee.
    Transfer windows also are void when a club and a player tear up a contract, basically making him a free agent from that moment on.
    But that doesnot work for a pure amateur.

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017

22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman, USSoccerNova and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he gonna sign with Jong PSV? Because that'd be crazy. They finished above Telstar last year, and they must really like him if he's playing with them.

He's the youngest guy in that starting lineup. 5 99s, 3 98s, a 97, and one other 00 that's older than him.

KUSA77, Pl@ymaker, ussoccer97531 and 2 others repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I have no inside information about this situation, but there's not a lot of history of high-level Dutch clubs taking 18-year-old Americans (or older) they don't see as somewhat close to contributing given what they have to pay in terms of salary. (Might be nice if they did, but so it goes.) Maybe if he had a Euro passport, or was 15-16, but in this case I would expect that if they sign him, it's very complimentary.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it crazy that he’s playing with the reserve team? Am I missing something?