Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    All @Clint Eastwood is arguing is that playing for a high level academy during a critical age of a players development up until the age of 18 and then leaving for Europe is better than not playing at a high level academy and then leaving for Europe the age of 18.

This seems like an idea that all would agree on.

2. Way2late

Way2late New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Being the father of one of Ferri's inferior teammates, I think he did just fine. He spent majority of his time at Bradenton and when that was done, he trained in Norway with Molde, I believe. Otherwise he was in US team camps. His appearances at Solar were basically cameos.

My memory of McKennie was that FCD wanted him to go to Virginia and weren't ready to sign him. And it is interesting that McKennie disappeared from the academy team and didn't make a public appearance until he turned 18 in late August. Was that due to the pressure to sign with FCD or to attend Virginia. Either way, McKennie and his family felt it was best to disappear.

gunnerfan7, KUSA77, Pl@ymaker and 5 others repped this.
  3. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    In general I would agree with that. However, in this case and with FCD, I think the best option was to stay away from them.

FCD to my knowledge doesn't let their current (youth)players go on trial to European clubs for training without their approval. Why would you want FCD to have a say in if you can be seen a top club in Europe, why give them that power? Training and playing in a few GA cup games is not a good tradeoff for them not letting you out on trial. ( by the way I don't fault FCD for this, they can't just let everyone go for free, but it makes it an easier decision for someone in Blaines situation to stay away from FCD)

FCD would probably be pushing him for a homegrown deal that would have been a poor decision and most likely stopped him from taking the deal in Germany.

Here's hoping the best for Blaine and we see him playing for a top club in a few years.

Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So, in the off chance we still discuss actual YNT players playing in actual games abroad, it should be noted that Christian Pulisic came off the bench and scored in the Champions League against Brugge and in his CL debut, Weston McKennie started and got an assist against Porto.

In the Championship, Antonee Robinson and Cameron Carter-Vickers started for Wigan (win) and Swansea (loss).

gunnerfan7, chad, KUSA77 and 5 others repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #330 Clint Eastwood, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    I was thinking about this last night as it relates to the McKennie/Ferri discussion a little bit.

How many MLS academy products have started group games in the Champions league? It can't be a big number...........................

And Weston McKennie wasn't a one-year FC Dallas academy player (like say Chris Richards and others). He was there for 7 years.

Andy Najar of DCU/Anderlecht? Maybe? Probably?
    Anybody else?
    Off the top of my head I can't think of anybody else.

Patrick167 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    UEFA Youth League results:

Benfica vs. Bayern: 3-0
    CJ dos Santos was on the bench for Benfica
    Chris Richards started for Bayern
    Justin Butler entered for Bayern in the 80th minute.

Ajax vs AEK Athens: 6-0
    Dest entered in the 66th minute and scored in the 67th for Ajax

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We don't watch all these games, so I stress that we shouldn't use this as 100% proof, but I don't think it reflects well on the standing of these players at their clubs when they can't even start these games. Thats not to say any of them are bad players, but the 11 best players in these age groups don't make the first team, so if you aren't in those 11 best players, you probably aren't highly rated by your team. Usually you need to be in the top 5 to have a real first team chance.

Maybe the situation would be different if we are talking about a player who is in the lowest age classification for this competition, but some of these guys should leave their clubs at the end of the season.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm not sure it is always negative. But I'm not sure where UEFA UCL U-19 is in the priority of clubs. Let's take one of our guys as an example: Tim Weah

Weah did start a bunch of these last year but he wasn't even dressed yesterday. He has been transferred to PSG B. So, I guess PSG will not drop him back to play. So, not playing could be a sign that you are closer to the first team not just that you are not able to break into the U19 lineup.

It is possible the club values the domestic U19 competition more and sits their more important players with games coming up in a few days.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Other than Najar, I don't think anyone else has done it besides McKennie.

I saw something on twitter yesterday that said McKennie was like the 23rd American to play in the CL. I don't have that list in front of me but I imagine most of those were guys who did so before the USSDA came along or grew up abroad like Kenny Saief.

I think Najar and Pulisic are the only other USSDA alums to have played in the CL.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #335 Clint Eastwood, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Ethan Horvath............................? According to the UEFA site he's played in the early rounds for both Molde and Brugge (5 games total). Real Colorado was in the DA when he played with them?

I'm sure there are a couple more that'll come to mind. These types of guys in perhaps smaller leagues that played in early qualifying rounds.

But the group stage is a different beast. If you're starting or playing in group stage games (like we did with two thread eligible players yesterday), then you're playing at an elite level. Having thread-eligible youngsters do that with some regularity will be an important step for our program.

At the start of the year I was hoping Keaton Parks would play in these types of games, but he really doesn't seem to have taken a "next step" in the depth chart at Benfica.

Also Tim Weah (who did spend time at the NYRB academy) was a possibility.....................

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, I don't count the qualifying rounds. That's a much lower bar.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Actually, Those Champions League Appearances 'Don't Count,' Area Man Says ​

;)

chad repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1042764216523022338 is not a valid tweet id

ShaftBrewer and USSoccerNova repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did what Carleton should have done.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    U21 level...……
    1042523653496287232 is not a valid tweet id

xbhaskarx, SCSAutism, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Soto scored a brace.

He has 5 goals in 6 league matches. 7 goals in 7 matches in all competitions.

KUSA77, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    This guy is just a clinical finisher... US U20s need to qualify so I can watch this dude play

Sandon Mibut and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to be easier to put a Spanish club in your IG profile than actually be successfully registered to play in Spain. What is his passport situation?

xbhaskarx, Tom Collingsworth and ielag repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And hell, Sabbi has an Italian passport and still had registration issues there.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Weah scored a goal for the PSG reserve side. Thats two weeks in a row he's scored for them. He hasn't made the first team squad in over a month.

Wright was credited with scoring one goal for the Schalke reserve side. He had been out for over a month with a hamstring injury. I watched some of the game. He had two goals, but the nicer of the two was credited to a teammate who stole his goal. The ball was going in off his shot, and his teammate put it in on the line. If the teammate put it in, it shouldn't have counted. That player was offside. It doesn't matter much, but it was scored incorrectly. It was his goal.

Both players are way too good for these lower leagues, and need to get out in the winter. They aren't going to get a chance at their current clubs, and have to leave. I'd suggest a permanent transfer for both, although Weah might be able to get away with a loan. Wright definitely needs a permanent transfer.

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I've started following this particular twitter feed for our young players in Germany. Collects all of the info in one place.

TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In case people missed this, Luca de la Torre had a goal and an assist for Fulham in the League Cup (or whatever the hell they call it now). Supposedly played really well. Hopefully it leads to more playing time.

largegarlic, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sombrerito, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    You can check the comment section of this tweet for highlights of the Bayern (Richards) versus Ajax (Dest) game in the Youth Champions League.

Winoman repped this.