Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--

Namdynamo repped this.
  2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @NatsAbroad’s Tweet:
    932338598527098881 is not a valid tweet id

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Too old for this thread

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What has Palmer Brown done to get it back on track??

Am I the only one not that impressed by Keaton Parks getting a sub appearance in a cup game?

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call it the curse of CJ Sapong. A player who is his parents had just held on a bit longer they'd be so much more favored in the youth soccer system.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its too early for me to get too excited. If he gets more games and looks consistent and grows, I will join the chorus. Hopefully he earns it.

Real Corona repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I would change, "back on track" to, "weeks away from getting out of MLS jail."

Parks moved to Benfica B, played well, trained with Benfica, and must have done well enough to get a sub in a cup. This is how players are brought in. If the coach didn't rate him, he would have been playing for Benfica B again. Plenty of guys are stuck, nice to see someone progressing.

Also, right on cue as this is a player that, "slipped through the cracks". Nice to see him making news at just the right time to contradict Arena.

ielag and Winoman repped this.
  8. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Their opponent, Vitoria de Setubal, play in the first division so the game wasn't dissimilar to a league match in terms of competitiveness. More importantly I don't think anyone was impressed simply because he got an appearance but rather because he looked quite solid in the 20 mins or so he had

Winoman repped this.
  9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They play Vitoria again next Sunday in a regular league match, so I will be interested to see if he is as trusted then.

Real Corona repped this.
  10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Shaq was a consistent starter with our U17 and U20 YNT's.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What was off track?

I think our fans put way too much emphasis into early playing time.

Alejandro Zendejas was the first to play first team minutes from that '98 group. Some players get early opportunities, others have the 1st and 3rd rated CB's in the league per the defender of the year voting ahead of them.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I mean we've seen that plenty players getting sub minutes. I've seen people projecting him a starter now for the senior team and the Olympic teams which seems entirely hyperbolic

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original poster said he got back on track hence the phrase. Anyway he clarified

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and born two months later he'd be a lock for a projected Olympic team in two years

15. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s more his meteoric rise and that in his debut he basically looked and played as would be expected for the first team, except he did it a year ahead of schedule. People have been excited about Parks for a long time.

Of course the NT starter talk is just the juices flowing, but the 20 minute sun appearance isn’t why people were excited.

Real Corona repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Konrad with 2 more goals, now up to 8 in 12 games. IMO, the top '01 we have (its close between him and Booth though, my opinion changes on this very often).

https://streamable.com/kxe28

Anderson11 repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Have we ever gotten an explanation from Hackworth or anyone else at US Soccer why he (and/or Ben Lederman) weren't given a chance to make the U17 roster?

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lederman was in some camps, trained with the side, I'm pretty sure he played in some scrimmages, he was deemed not good enough, which is not surprising, IMO, given his current standing at Barcelona. Being in Barcelona's academy itself is not that impressive, playing a key role is. Lederman does not.

Konrad seems a strange case. He was with the U-18's ('99 age group as an '01) during the U-17 WC. He has shown very well in his U-16 YNT age group. It would seem like he could've played a big part on that team.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  20. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a geniune question, because I don't know much about him.. What do you see that's so great about Booth? He looked decent but not great in the U-17 WC, and I'm just curious as to why you think he's seemingly one of our top prospects.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    His passing and intelligence is excellent, he barely misses any passes, complete passing range, and his decision making is very good. He can score goals, assist them, takes set pieces well, can probably play as a 6, 8 or 10, although he's best as a #8. But not only his passing and intelligence, he is combative, which is very important. There might be stronger and faster players, but he's not afraid to take them down or take a tactical yellow. He held up rather well as a lone defensive midfielder in the Japan tournament with his regular '01 age group a few months ago, and I thought he also showed well in the placement game with the U-17's in the tournament right before the U-17 WC where Goslin got red-carded early on, and he was tasked with manning that CM by himself.

What separates his game from most other technical types in CM who can pass the ball a little and might have some intelligence is the willingness to put a foot in, which I described above, but also advanced defensive reads, which he has at a young age. If he didn't, he'd have been exposed in some of these games, which he certainly hasn't been. He doesn't put himself in many positions where he needs to make great defensive recoveries. He was being played out of position in the U-17 tournament, but I still thought he did okay, and you gotta consider that England team was incredible. Most of our 00's were completely exposed, an '01 doing okay against them is rather impressive.

A year also makes a big difference at that age, look how raw Bryan Reynolds looks playing with the '00 age group, compared to what he can do in his own age group, big difference. And for all we know, size won't be a concern for Booth. He's right now 5'8, he 16.5, so he has time to grow. If he gets to 5'10, thats about average for a CM. But if not, there are guys like Modric, Winks, Verratti who can hold their own defensively because they are smart and don't put themselves in bad positions that often, but also combative when need be. Just my opinion of course, but it does seem like he's similarly rated within US Soccer and RSL. I usually do not like these #8's who are undersized and not the most athletic, but I think there is a clear distinction between what Booth brings and what most of these players bring, and I think that distinction is why he'll make it as a top level player and most of them won't.

TLDR; He's what people wish Hyndman, Zelalem, Yueill, etc are.

KUSA77, ShaftBrewer, Anderson11 and 3 others repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  23. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Namdynamo, Winoman, TxEx and 1 other person repped this.
  25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez is killing it again tonight for Monterrey.

Winoman and Peretz48 repped this.