Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just made the U17 World Cup squad:

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe, but he isn't able to officially sign until late February when he turns 18. By the time he starts training with the team, gets comfortable with his teammates, and figures out what the coaching staff is asking of him........................the season will be over.

Our expectations for him this club season should be minimal. This is a kid that has had very little experience in a professional setting. He's not from an MLS or domestic academy. His only experience is with Scott Gallagher, USYNTs, and an extremely brief dalliance with SKC. The notion that he's just going to walk into Bremen II in Germany with their squad in mid-season form..................is a little fanciful. A garbage time debut? Maybe.

I mean, we all think Taitague is a really good prospect. It took him a while to get going with the Schalke U19s. How many appearances has Nick made with Schalke II? I think the answer is zero..............................and Taitague did have experience in a pro setting.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schalke doesn't really use Schalke II for a funnel to their first team, though, just like Dortmund. Once you graduate from the u19s, you either go to the first team or on loan if they like you.

Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call the Dortmund reserve team Terence Boyd level.

frankburgers repped this.
  5. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    It's only because their Schalke II team is in the 5th division and not really a good place to develope players.

6. Johnnybegood10

Schalke 04
    United States
    Aug 17, 2017
    It probably takes 6 months to get used to the team, but in Taitague's case...there was a language barrier. Tactically, learning the press style formation in a 4-3-3 was different. Shalke played double 6 and 8 when Weston and Haji was on the team. Language, formation and tactical awareness takes time.

bballshawn repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There isn't a language barrier for Sargent?

I think folks are expecting too much if they believe Sargent is going to play this season for Bremen II. We're on the same page.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weston McKennie gets another start and 73 minutes for schalke.

Pretty impressive for the kid

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has plenty of time to learn German. Actually, if he's not semi-fluent by Feb, he's not good with his time.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol or he could pull a Gareth Bale

11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 2 cents? He pronounces Werder Bremen "Wurdur Brehmen" instead of "Vehrder Brayman", which, while I'm completely extrapolating here, makes me think he's not close to fluent whatsoever. Hopefully he gets better with that in the next few months, but I think he's underestimating how big of a deal it is to be acclimatized.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random question. Real Madrid signed a Brazilian kid vincinius this summer who's only 15 and doesn't have an EU passport. Yet they can loan him back to Brazil?

Can anybody who understands the rules here explain it to me? Why can our guys not sign with a European club and get loaned back to MLS or USL?

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I speak German and pronounce Werder with the W while speaking English. It just sounds like your trying to hard to suddenly flip on a German accent in the middle of a sentence.

TarHeels17, GoingGoaling and Starman* repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Like English speakers who say Barthelona..........................

It makes it sound like you're trying too hard.

I think most people understand how hard it is to move away from home for the first time. Now do it in a foreign country with a different language. In this case you're not going to school with a bunch of friends, you're going to a compete with adult professionals for job opportunities. Some kids handle it well and others not so well. Those of us who've been around a long time remember Donovan's struggles.

15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    There is an agreement to transfer. It won't happen until he is 18

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...cius-junior-flamengo-46m-16-year-old-transfer

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Because they won't be officially signed until they are 18.

Placid Casual repped this.
  18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Did you read the link? Try doing that first.

The transfer isn't official until he is 18. He is a Flamengo player. Real Madrid have agreed to buy him, they haven't bought him yet.

There is no loan back to Flamengo until he becomes a Real Madrid player. When he is 18.

19. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    I wonder about this stuff too. To me it seems like college football players "verbally committing" to a university.

Real Corona repped this.
  20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the transfer agreement is on paper. I mean Real can't register him but they could probably sign some kinda agreement officially with Flamenco.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weston McKennie has started Schalkes last three games and went 90 minutes yesterday. If by some miracle we make the Olympics we could have a pretty good team

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Part of the issue is that this level of talent never is in the qualifiers. So. yeah. If we make it.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the talent among the 2020 U-23 eligible abroad-based players is impressive but so is the domestic-based U-23 guys too. Adams, Glad, Mihailovic, Carleton, plus many more.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

I am pretty convinced that the next generation of American players is pretty darn good. And that is not limited to the Puslic's of the bunch.

The U.S. will have a strong group of players for Olympic qualifying.

xbhaskarx, Winoman and Real Corona repped this.
  24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well damn I remember skipping school to watch the champions league on espn2 when some of these guys weren't even born yet. They've just grown up in an entirely different era.

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    xbhaskarx, Namdynamo, TxEx and 2 others repped this.