Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A reminder that Weston's German is VERY good (I'm a speaker as I lived in Germany with military parents like Weston did.) I think we underestimate the advantage this gives a player like Weston in terms of getting settled right away compared to other youth yanks abroad.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Maybe German (or Spanish, French or Italian) lessons should be part of Academy training. A club may be able to sell a prospect for more if he already is fluent in the language where he will be playing.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. AFAIK Pulisic did not have the background in German that McKennie did but he gained fluency very fast. I'm sure that helped him, as did the presence of family members for his first two years in Germany.

The yawning gap in team camaraderie between Euro youth teams and American youth teams + general homesickness of a teenager + a coach screaming at you every day in a language you don't understand is a recipe for being taken "out of your comfort zone" in all the wrong ways.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You see it happen a lot with Latin baseball players and Russian hockey players. So often a 16 year comes over and is supremely talented by slowly fades. It takes an extra effort to overcome that culture shock and at 16-18 most people are not equipped to do it.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have any specific knowledge, but I would imagine clubs can vary considerably in their ability to help a foreigner settle. It's like having an ELL kid in a high school class. Success hugely depends on the psychological and logistical support they receive. Sometimes they receive good support, sometimes they don't.

anivha repped this.
  6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    IIRC at La Masia, the kids there have to learn a 2nd language but Spanish doesn't count. So, Lederman was having to learn Spanish and another language when he first showed up there.

If you're a Josh Sargent and know you're eventually moving to Germany, it'd certainly be helpful if he's learning German now.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was silly is that he already spoke Hebrew, but that didn't lessen the language requirement.

ielag repped this.
  8. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the sports world, I think learning multiple languages is immensely important for jobs, traveling, etc. So it's good that these kids learn this because of soccer, but can utilize this even if their soccer career doesn't necessarily become a livelihood.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've raised the idea that some of the USSF's 100M+ windfall should go to teaching our YNTers German. Where the hell is that money going anyway?

Anyhow hope Sargent is learning German now.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know how much German is spoken during training at a club like BVB? Obviously some is but in such a squad, most players don't speak German as their first language. Dembele never did an interview in German as Pulisic did last year. I doubt Mor/Isak among others suddenly learned it enough to be fluent.

Then I consider a guy like Vidal, I don't think he's ever done an interview in German and he's been in the Bund for many years.

To me it seems learning the language is more important for off the pitch life but I'd think more players at BVB speak English than German. Guys like Gotze/Reus/Bartra/Schurrle are completely fluent. Bosz is fluent too, as was Tuchel and Klopp previously.

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that BVB's youth teams are much more German and that's where a teen is going to start out.

I have no idea if this problem is an issue at BVB in particular, but I've certainly read a number of retrospective comments from players over the years regarding the difficulty in adapting in training because of the language barrier.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the coach is German it's up to the player to keep up. If the coach is foreign and doesn't speak German they will have a translator yelling out the commands. Sometimes foreign players go through training just following the guys in front of them because they don't know what's going on.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth kids are going to get very little support. It's going to be on them to integrate. Now a star is going to be a different story. A 46£ million davinson sanchez or similar player is probably going to have a personal assistant to set up a hotel, find an apartment, get language lessons etc. although bizarrely not every club invests in stuff like that despite spending multiple millions on the player.

14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that Stuttgart, in the past, has had Japanese, Spanish, & African translators for new team members who didn't speak German. I think they still do that.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it varys by club and German clubs are generally better about it. From anecdotal observation the Italians are some of the worst for having that support.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1841 ChuckMe92, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Free kick by Konrad de la Fuente results in his 4th goal in 4 matches for Barcelona Juvenil B. He also contributed to the second Barca goal.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    909265336079458305 is not a valid tweet id

909266058057535488 is not a valid tweet id

#CapHimNow

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep he should be in the next qualifying roster

19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Mckennie should be called in before him or at least the same time

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mckennie isn't going to play for another national team and for a absolutely do or die qualifier don't need two spots used like this

butters59 repped this.
  21. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    neither is gonzalez

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay cool

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    BigSoccer when Mexico shows interest in an American-born player:

24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    "Don't think of it as work. The whole point of it is just to enjoy yourself."

Winoman and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    One of my favorite movie quotes of all time.

Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.