Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While true, it's worth pointing out that McKennie wasn't a guy who emerged from out of nowhere since his U17 cycle. By the end of the cycle, many people were calling for him to be included on the WC roster, but he seems to be a victim of Bradenton Inertia more than anything else.

Some guys simply aren't on the radar until after their U17 days, but I wonder if shutting down Bradenton will make it easier for future players who emerge late, but strongly, in the cycle.

Patrick167 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone has selectively removed Zendejas from his memory ;)

He might be in Chivas purgatory, but he was good enough to debut for Dallas at 17, so even in retrospect that choice wasn't completely egregious.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zendejas is on loan in Ascenso MX this season, so we'll see if he can use it to springboard back into Liga MX, be it at Chivas or elsewhere.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure....................but Zendejas and McKennie are very different types of players.
    Zendejas is/was more of a #10, and McKennie is more of a #8.

FCD did give Zendejas some time at central mid and on the wing (like they have with Pomykol), but that's not his position. The problem for him is that if you're a #10, you better be pretty damn good in order to get playing time at a club like Chivas (much less FCD with guys like Mauro Diaz). He's on loan at Zacatepec (which I guess is some kind of "sister club" to Chivas). He's actually listed as a forward with them, so maybe they envision him as some sort of withdrawn forward type. He's not the only former FCD academy player at Zacatepec. Last I knew Jose de la Tejera was there, but I haven't looked in a while. [His brother Diego de la Tejera is still at Leon.]

I think Balerion is right that McKennie (and others) didn't make that U17 roster due to Bradenton inertia. The staff there is always going to reward the kids that choose to train full time at their facility. The U17 program is going to change a lot over the next couple of years.

All I was pointing out is that when you look at that U17 roster, there's a fairly glaring lack of depth in central midfield. Now we think of Adams as a central midfielder, but he was a defender on that team if I remember correctly (like Acosta in his cycle).

By the way, overall this crew is looking pretty strong overall. Gonna get a lot of senior caps here between Pulisic....................and some combination of Perez, Wright, Adams, etc. If you get 5 or so players on a U17 roster with senior caps, then its a really good class. And I do think we have a chance of that with this crew.

Biggest disappointment so far related to expectation is Gallardo due to injury.

upload_2017-7-20_8-0-47.png

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That '98 group is ridiculous. You could create a whole 23 from just 98's that would be very good. I'm not even including players like Romero, Friede, Gutierrez, Koreniuk who are playing for other YNT's, and there were another 5-10 players who I thought were pretty good from that year. We are like 30 deep in quality players from the 98's.

Goalies: Silva, Pulisic, Diaz
    Defenders: Fossey, Cannon, Olosunde, Trusty, Terwege, Barbir, Farfan, Arellano
    Midfielders: McKennie, Zendejas, Mihailovic, de la Torre, Pulisic, Perez, Kunga, Lankford
    Forwards: Wright, Vazquez, Gaines, Young

Silva
    Fossey-Cannon-Trusty-Farfan
    Perez-McKennie-Mihailovic-Pulisic
    Wright-Vazquez

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haven't heard of Mihailovic. Who is he?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's even more talent out there...............
    Hector Montalvo of Tigres is a '98, etc.

There's also talent in the NCAAs that we don't really think about. USYNTer Luka Prpa of Marquette is a '98. These are gonna be drafted MLS players.

Reggie Cannon was 3rd team all-freshman team in the NCAAs last season.
    So there were freshman in the NCAAs at fullback last year deemed better than Reggie Cannon (although not necessarily American, and not necessarily '98s. The majority of NCAA freshman last season, like say Cam Lindley, were '97s I believe)

TCS35 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I had Montalvo, Vega, Munjoma, da Silva, Lowe, Zubak, Des Pres as players that were just off the team. Thats 30 players.

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our best Mexico-based prospect starts at 18 years old in his Liga MX debut.

xbhaskarx, Namdynamo, bballshawn and 3 others repped this.
  11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a youtube stream:

I'm pretty sure that there's an official stream somewhere but I can never seem to find them for Liga MX, so if someone has it then by all means post it.

12. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subbed off in the 54th.

13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight reel of '05 Kevin Kelley with Barcelona Alevin:

KUSA77, Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '05 Robert Deziel scored 20 goals this past 2016-17 season with Real Madrid Alevin A. It was the third-most in the entire "Primera Division Autonomica Alevin, Grupo 1" only behind a RM teammate and someone from Atletico. His goal/match ratio was better than everyone's except the guy from Atletico.
    http://eternocampeon.es/resumen-cantera-rm-alevin-a-2016
    http://www.ffmadrid.es/pnfg/NPcd/NF...ticion=4993683&codtemporada=&codgrupo=5138438

Unfortunately, it looks like he's departing, likely due to FIFA eligibility rules.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  17. funinsun

funinsun Member

Jul 25, 2017
    #1592 funinsun, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    So Cannon over the true CBs? There is no way that Cannon can read defenses better than those others you listed. Yea he is good but you can't just fill him into another position if he can't even compete with others at RB.

18. funinsun

funinsun Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Montalvo playing RB at Tigre's. No better combo than montalvo and terwege at CBs. But montalvo lacks speed to get to the next level. Sad but true. Terwege has the speed and will show well at ucla this season.

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.schalke04.de/en/news/170725_donishajisidney/page/3016--86-86-.html

Christian Heidel on Avdijaj, Sam, and Wright

Donis Avdijaj, Sidney Sam, and Haji Wright are three players who have not made the journey to Schalke’s training camp in Mittersill. Director of sport Christian Heidel explains why.

… Haji Wright:
    The kid is on a very, very good course, but he’s just missing something that would allow him to be able to really have a chance at breaking into the team and playing for us. It’s difficult for him because of his position as a striker. However, we’re of the opinion that Haji is definitely in need of playing time, and so the manager has decided that it is best for him to remain with the U23s – or better – play in the 2. Bundesliga in order for him to acquire more match experience at a high level. We’ve got a loan move in mind, and so we agreed that it wouldn’t make much sense for him to make the journey to the training camp in Mittersill.

Namdynamo, Peretz48, LouisZ and 2 others repped this.
  20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @NatsAbroad's Tweet:
    890215372489719808 is not a valid tweet id

21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The Wright news is just flat out depressing. Is it me, or is this starting to look a depressing year overseas? McKennie is the only unconditionally positive thing going on. Schalke giving up on Wright. CCV looking stalled. Josh Perez MIA. Zelalem?

Overachiever repped this.
  22. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Not depressing for me. Yet at least.

Overachiever repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When it comes to U20s...................how many are you expecting to get significant playing time in Europe? I think the Pulisic situation has thrown some of us for a loop expecting others to follow him on that path. I know folks are looking for that WOW breakout story, but those are rare. For most players (of any nationality) its a steady grind up the ladder.

If we have one of these U20s get a healthy amount of first team playing time this season (and McKennie is the best bet), and we have a bunch of others advancing thru their systems.................then we're doing fine.

If Haji Wright is loaned out to a Bund2 team, and gets playing time, that'll be a step up from last season when he was just playing for Schalke's U19s. That blurb there didn't sound depressing to me at all. It sounds like they think he's not ready for the first team, but want him to get oppportunities at a higher level than last season. Sounds about right to me. McKinze Gaines looks like he's going to take a step up this year and will probably get some first team playing time in Bundesliga II with Darmstadt. I wouldn't be surprised to see Luca de la Torre get more first team opportunity at Fulham this season. I could go on with other players I'm intrigued by for this season. Will Mukwelle Akale take a step forward in his career? How will Taitague do with Schalke this season? Will he take a step forward? Will Kyle Gruno start making noise at Leicester? Maybe Olosunde will get loaned out for some playing time. Maybe the Lederman hype train will get back on track at Barcelona. Maybe other young Americans like Williamson make the move soon? When will MLSers like EPB, Adams, etc. make their moves? There's lots to be interested in.

On top of them we're going to have the start of Sargent's career to follow carefully. That should be fun.

And we can't forget that Pulisic is still only 18. If we have three U20s getting healthy minutes in Europe................say Pulisic, McKennie, and CCV............that's actually pretty damn great. Right? That's a potential USMNT spine for a decade right there.

I mean, a pre-season thread-eligible Euro team would probably look like...............
    I'm pulling this out of my ass, so I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody (like a CB to pair with CCV).

-----------------------Wright----------------------
    Akale----------------Pulisic----------------Perez
    ------------McKennie----de la Torre--------------
    Fossey-----CCV-------Gruno---------Olosunde
    ---------------------Klinsmann----------------

Folks understand that it wasn't too long ago that there'd be no chance of constructing a roster like this with only European-based thread-eligible prospects. Right? When we'd have to feed on a Preston Zimmerman or Gabe Ferrari scrap of an update? We have more reason to be excited about Euro-based U20s than we've ever had.

If folks must find a reason to be depressed.........................its Zelalem.

eneste, Namdynamo, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  24. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would hardly say Schalke is giving up on Wright. They're already got loan ideas in place so he can get a ton of first team minutes this season. Just because he isn't quite ready yet doesn't mean Schalke aren't excited about him

Patrick167 repped this.