Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Pulisic joined in February 2015 according to Wikipedia. De Anza has a really solid academy, surprised it hasn't been absorbed the way FC Dallas absorbed some of the nicer Texas academies

2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because up until very recently, a certain bay area time didn't care about player development. Maybe that will change soon.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    De Anza's USSDA results at the U16 and U18 levels have been dreadful the past 2 seasons. Part probably because the Earthquakes are taking it more serious and also the addition of a 3rd Bay Area DA (Juventus).

4. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    That surprises me, but I def don't know them as well as you. At the very least it's still not uncommon to see a couple of their players called up to the youth camps. Are the younger age groups doing better?

5. What rule?

6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KUSA77, xbhaskarx, sakibomb523 and 6 others repped this.
  7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Was that a first team friendly?

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it appears so. I don't profess to know anything about the team, but a quick comparison shows that most of the players were on last year's first-team roster.

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At age 16, Texas-born new US U17 midfielder/forward Jacobo Reyes has been promoted from Monterrey's U17s to their U20s for 2017-18. Jonathan Gonzalez did the same with Monterrey when he was 16. Reyes has also been called up to Mexico youth teams at U15, U17, and U18 level, so there is a bit of a tug-of-war brewing here, along the lines of Jesse Gonzalez, Ulysses Llanez, and Efrain Alvarez.

Twitter:

Liga MX profile:
    http://www.ligabancomer.mx/cancha/jugador/98212/eyJpZENsdWIiOiA4N30=
    US Soccer profile:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/players/2017/06/15/20/55/jacobo-reyes#tab-1
    Mexico youth callups (just a sampling, there have been more):
    https://miseleccion.mx/la-seleccion-nacional-mexico-sub-15-disputara-la-copa-uc-chile/
    https://miseleccion.mx/convocatoria-la-seleccion-nacional-mexico-sub17/
    https://miseleccion.mx/convocatoria-de-la-snm-sub-18-para-su-primera-concentracion/

Lookingforleftbacks and Winoman repped this.
  11. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Speaking of jona: This is from bsmx.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is it that rare though? How many other 00's are playing with Monterrey's U-20's? How many other 00's in the league are playing with the U-20's?

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1563 ChuckMe92, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Good question. After checking individually each of the 22 players currently registered with Monterrey U20s, three are '00s, including Reyes. The other 19 are in the '97 to '99 range. Checking out your second question would take laborious clicking, though I'd imagine it's not all that many, probably about the same ratio. I don't know if I'd call it rare, but it's definitely not common.

Edit: I had to at least get an idea. So I just went through each team and 2017-18 registered player before stopping at Monarcas. America has none, Atlas has none, Cruz Azul has three '00s and one '01, Club Tijuana has 9 (?!) including one American (Jared Romero), Queretaro has none, Chivas has one, Leon none, Lobos BUAP none, Monarcas none. So outside of the Xolos oddity, it seems being an '00 or later in Liga MX Sub20 could be considered rare. Even with Xolos having by far the most '00s, it's still only about one-third of their players. What makes it more impressive for Reyes is he's a fairly late '00, not an early one.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tricky to judge based on registrations because, from what I can tell, there's nothing stopping clubs from using a player in any team for which they are eligible regardless of registration. So it's possible that Tijuana is pushing players aggressively and it's possible that Tijuana's '00s registered with the U20 team will actually be playing for the U17s or their Segunda team.

What we'd really need is easy access to last year's playing time + birth dates at the U20 level. As @ChuckMe92 alluded, the only way to piece that together would involve a painfully high level of clicking through the Liga MX site.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Repped for the research.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '97 Kyle Scott is traveling with Chelsea's senior team to China. He wasn't called up to our 2017 U20s beyond the early stages of the cycle.

ussoccer97531 and bballshawn repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Scott is one of the biggest mysteries of this '97 pool.

One thing I'm fairly well certain of is that he'll never play for Chelsea. I know that's kinda more overtly negative that we normally aim for on this board....................

Whenever Chelsea has an opening they just go buy a 100 million dollar player.
    How difficult has it been for Ruben Loftus-Cheek to get consistent playing time at Chelsea?
    In fact, I believe he just became part of Chelsea's "loan army."

So best case scenario here is that Scott gets some looks in pre-season, catches the eye of some clubs, and either gets a loan or a transfer out of there.

TxEx, Winoman, ChuckMe92 and 1 other person repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Matt Olosunde traveling with ManU in this pre-season?

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope:
    [​IMG]

LouisZ, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malik Tillman, who has appeared for the US U15s but has been more recently with Germany U15s, is just one of two '02s with Bayern B-Juniors/U17. US-eligible Justin Butler and Jalen Hawkins are also with Bayern U17.
    https://fcbayern.com/de/teams/junior-team/u17

21. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @BrianSciaretta's Tweet:

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    What's really cool about that pass is how he's doing several difficult things at the same time, creating space for himself with a defender close by while staying connected with his runner. (And, of course, pulling off the play.)

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I could watch that for hours. He did so many things well there.

The first touch to keep the ball close.

The deke and look-away to create space.

The acceleration on the second touch and movement into space.

The pass itself, hit without telegraphing it by not looking directly at his target and with the perfect amount of pace, splitting a defender.

And it all happens in 3 seconds.

Kid is special.

Patrick167, LouisZ, brjohnson and 6 others repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's also a cautionary tale for those that put too much emphasis on our U17 program. Weston McKennie didn't make our roster for either the U17 CONCACAF Championship or U17 World Cup. He's now only 18, and people are calling him "special."

Its an interesting exercise to fit him into our 2015 U17 World Cup squad, cuz central midfield wasn't the strength of that team. I guess we already had de la Torre in that position, but really.................there was little else. I guess that McCabe had a good freshman year at Notre Dame, but I don't pay attention to that kind of thing as much as you.

Werdman89 and TCS35 repped this.