Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The proof is there that we are improving, and its not just CP.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Haji is going to be an interesting case this upcoming season.
    Their first team has no shortage of forwards, although none of them really leap off the page at me. A lot of youth and inexperience. I have no idea how he fits in. Yes, he scores a bunch of goals against U19 teams and garbage pre-season teams. I don't know if that means anything right now.

My gut feeling is that Weston McKennie has more appearances than Haji this season, but we will see Haji sporadically.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not really sure what'll happen with those two.

I think Wright has less competition for playing time, but I think Schalke likes McKennie more. Wright's competition for playing time are a bunch of nobodies. He completely outplayed Di Santo and Reese today. Two players that don't leap off the page, as you said. Reese is supposedly going to go out on loan. There's also Platte, a '96 target forward, not awful, but not really that good of a player. There's certainly minutes there for a back up CF to Burgstaller and Embolo, if Tedesco lets Wright win those minutes. On the contrary, I think McKennie has tougher competition. Goretzka and Bentaleb will start for Schalke, but there's also Geis and Bentaleb, two very solid players. I think McKennie will beat them out, if given the chance, but they are not nobodies, like Wright's competition for a bench spot and minutes is.

Saying that, I think Schalke likes McKennie more, and is more willing to give him a chance to earn minutes. If you listen to the comments from Heidel (the sporting director), he was praising McKennie a lot, meanwhile he paid Wright a back-handed compliment. Last season, it was McKennie that got into a game last season, not Wright, even though they both were on the bench the last game of the season.

Of course, its all nitpicking and overanalyzing. They both should have a decent chance to earn minutes, if given the chance, and I'm sure Schalke is excited about both players. I'm hoping they both break through, and if they have to balance out the situations of three youngsters who got promoted, the German full-back is the one who spends a lot of the season in the reserves and maybe out on loan.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Of course he would have scored 24 in 90'. That was a pub team that quit playing.
    Still good for him, but I'd rather see him playing for 75' against at least BL2 and look belonging. Hopefully happens soon.

5. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -50 GD in Oberliga last season. :thumbsdown:

From an external pov all you can really use this test match for is observing relative performance compared to competition within the squad. By that measure our two young boys still did well.

Tedesco seems to have put together clear progression in intensity of competition over the first couple of weeks of the preseason.

They play a 3.Liga team next Saturday, then Turkish champions Besiktas, followed by Inter on 7/21.

Three games in seven days, we will see McKennie and Wright.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Doesn't mean much to me. Friendlies don't mean much either. I'd take 5 starts in BL or 10 goals on a loan to BL2 over that. That would be a major confirmation.

7. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just pointing out that the opposition was one of the worst teams in the 5th tier last season. I don't know anyone who wouldn't take Bundeliga production over preseason friendly action. Don't seek confirmation, just take in the journey.

butters59 repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sorry, I misread your previous post.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Heidenheim and their coach Frank Schmidt feature prominently in the documentary "Trainer"... it's on Netflix, highly recommended.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21st Century Bo Jackson

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    [Writes, then deletes, smart-alecky comment about Dutch defending that would've gotten me flamed]

;)

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. But you do know what happened with the Egyptians that thought it was the road to victory.:devilish: Like wise is the destiny of striking forces up against us:cool:

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

American-born, Dutch-raised Kik Pierie started and played the first half for Heerenveen in a 16-1 demolishing of an amateur team. He sustained a minor knee injury and was not able to play their second preseason match.

He's not well known among US fans, but I'd say he is truly in the top tier of young dual-nats for the USSF to monitor, up there with Tillman and Shashoua. Not saying it's likely he'll play for the US, but this is someone who's made his Eredivisie starting debut with Heerenveen at age 16 and was the starting left back for the Oranje at the U17 Euros. Worth it for the US to give him a friendly call at some point.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Klinsmann Signs with Hertha BSC

KLINSMANN WILL BE HERTHANER
    The capital club takes Jonathan Klinsmann under contract. The 20-year-old goalkeeper joins the blue-whites.

Berlin - Jonathan Klinsmann has been a guest at Hertha BSC since his training session last week. Now the goalkeeper has reached his goal. On Tuesday (11.07.17) Michael Preetz announced in the training camp in Bad Saarow the commitment of the 20-year-old."Jonathan has convinced us with his abilities, his charisma and his ambition. He wants us to gain a foothold and step by step," the manager explained. "Klinsmann radiates peace and self-confidence, has a very good right foot and is also technically and athletic on a good level," describes goalkeeper Zsolt Petry the young keeper.

Emotional moment

Jonathan Klinsmann says: "After breakfast, Michael asked me for the interview and told me that the decision about a contract with Hertha BSC fell in the short term." "It was an incredibly emotional moment for me because the club has a story in our family. I look forward to everyone in the club, the city of Berlin and the challenge in Germany," explains the keeper.

I'm assuming the hashtag "hahohe" doesn't mean it's all a big joke...

ChuckMe92, Bob Morocco, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how long the contract is for. Also if JK Jr speaks German.

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  21. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Heading abroad in Feb., when he turns 16?

Check out @imperatojack's Tweet:

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but he'd most likely have to wait until next July? Or does that rule not apply to registering EU citizens and just non-EU citizens at 18?

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite sure which rule you are referring to.

According to USSF, Imperato's DOB is Feb. 20th, 2002. So he's 15 now and could register with a club in Italy. As an EU citizen, he has to wait until 16 to register with a club outside of Italy.

If you are talking about the registration dates that some leagues have, I don't think anyone here has a good grasp for which countries and leagues require what or when. A player can still go at age 16 and then register in the next available window that the country has. He may miss out on competitive matches, but probably best to get on board as soon as possible.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, thats what I'm saying. Does anyone remember when Pulisic was registered? Probably matters less for a 16 year old than an 18 year old, but joining in February instead of July obviously helps.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, we've only seen the problem in Germany and with one or two players. Other leagues, it hasn't really mattered. I've got enough noise in my head to bother worrying about the local league rules. The players are usually going to show up just as soon as they are able to be there, so missing a few U18 matches won't make a huge difference.

ussoccer97531 repped this.