Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017

ChuckMe92, Patrick167, butters59 and 6 others repped this.
  2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Nothing a call up to a camp or friendly can't fix. You get to look at the player up close if he is really that good that they want him in Europe.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is the rumor that he's going to AC Milan coming from his father?

TxEx and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #3030 butters59, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Nothing that others haven't seen. Still think he might be. Who is/was better? I missed Hugo.
    Who? Adu?

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've not seen him play, so I can't say for sure where he'd stand.

I'd put Carleton #1. After that, I think Adu probably comes next. Past Adu, you get to players like Pulisic, Donovan, Dempsey, Pomykal, de la Fuente, Taitague, Gio Reyna. Its hard to make these comparisons because we are talking about pure skill, technique, etc.. There's a good chance that some of these players don't have close to the career that players like Donovan or Dempsey had, yet pure skill I'd put some of them even or better than them. And then you have players like Adu who had a worse career than Donovan, Dempsey, Pulisic, yet probably had more pure skill.

Are we including Nyeman here or not? If so, he's either first or second. Its hard to compare his skill/technique/creativity/end product to Carleton. I think Carleton is probably slightly better in all areas, yet Nyeman is more athletic, and therefore should have more dribbling quality. Is the margin in those areas so small that a dribbling advantage gives him the overall advantage? I don't know. I think its too early to tell.

7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After putting that clip together on Nyeman the other day and watching him some more, I could easily see him start to get on the Efra plan and possibly get some minutes with the senior team next year. I already expect him to start getting USL minutes about April or May next year. I think every game I’ve seen so far, he’s been the best player on the field and it hasn’t been close.

But I think his game is more complete than most of the other guys mentioned. I don’t really believe he has the creativity of a Carleton or the 1v1 ability of Adu, Pulisic or maybe Pynadath. He just has this ridiculous ability to navigate tight spaces and make the right pass.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree to disagree. Playing him as a holding mid doesn't best allow him to show his creativity, so some games he doesn't get as many attacking chances. I specifically pointed out three plays (just in that game) that most attackers don't attempt because the idea doesn't come to them. A player like Pulisic is very good, but he's not creative, at all. Everything is predictable. Very hard to stop him, but he doesn't do things in a game all that often where you say "I haven't seen that before" or "I didn't think he'd try to attempt that." I've seen that many times from Nyeman. He has great vision, dribbling ability, skill moves and he's not afraid to try things and turn the ball over.

I haven't seen Pynadath play, so I can't really compare him to any of these players, although from what I've read and the highlights, I really don't expect him to be in this discussion. I certainly could be wrong though. I didn't follow as closely when Adu played, but I think he had issues with end product, along with work-ethic, attitude issues that derailed his career.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    It's not related to his skills level which was really high. I've seen plenty of Carleton and don't think he is super skilled, he is extremely creative, more like Mathis, Dempsey type.
    Pure skills wise Adu was better.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back and read what I wrote. I wasn’t saying he should be a holding mid or that he’s not creative. I was saying he’s not as creative as Carleton and doesn’t have the 1v1 ability of the other guys. I’m just saying he’s not the absolute best at those things, not that he can’t do them.

He’s good at everything, although his tackling could use some work. But he can dribble and he’s an elite passer. I personally prefer a lot of 1-2s and 1 touch passing in addition to creative lead passes and he is absolutely perfect for that.

I think I do like him as a 10, but I think he’d be good as an 8, too. I felt like he sat back a little more earlier in the year and that they trusted him to go forward a little more as the year went on. Since we stopped getting video of the games, it seems like he went on a little tear at the end of the year. I’m betting next year when we see him he stays forward far more as an attacking 10 instead of this method they have now where he plays the 6 for 5 minutes, then moves to the 8, then the 10, then the 9, then moves to the wing.

But I bet his time in the USL and when he starts in MLS is as an 8 with the expectation that he will grow into the 10 role.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Is this kid US-eligible?

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @USMNT_U25’s Tweet:

Winoman repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Do we have any idea where Taitague is playing next season? I've seen nothing. Its almost July, and we don't even know what club he'll be at next season.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Why not Schalke?

SUDano repped this.
  16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he's too old for the U19s. Transfermarkt has him with the Schalke reserves although they may just be saying that for every player that's not eligible for the U19s. If Harit leaves which is looking plausible, I expect him to fight for minutes in preseason and if he can't win those minutes, he should go on loan to a BL2 side.

17. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    If I recall, Haji didn’t go on loan until the end of preseason so it’s possible Taitague stays with Schalke throughout their exhibition games. I also believe Schalke have eliminated their reserve/U23 team, so that’s no longer an option.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also had it in my head that Schalke was planning to eliminate their reserve team, but it looks like Schalke II are still in the Oberliga Westfalen. I believe Schalke considered disbanding the team, but it looks like they decided not to follow through.

Either way, the fifth division wouldn't be an awesome situation for Taitague.

TheFalseNine and kba4life1 repped this.
  19. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm still crazy high on Nick and feel that had he not been injured during the winter training window than he would've been with the first team this season. I still think he'll have his opportunity.

My real question is what is going to happen to Haji who has seemed to go AWOL.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #3045 ussoccer97531, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    It could be, but wouldn't they have announced that he's been promoted to the first team? Thats what they announced last year for McKennie Wright and Hemmerich. I've been looking for info, and their fans seem to also be unaware about whats happening with their U-19 players this late into June. The club has made no announcement.

Thats the point though. We don't know. Its nearly July. Teams start preseason in July, and we don't know where he'll be playing his football.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Injuries do seem to be a problem for him. What I really don't want to see happen is him play with the reserves. If thats the situation, he might as well just leave. He's a talented player, and now needs to hone his craft against professionals, whether thats with Schalke or elsewhere.

LandonDonovan2018 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't see a future for Haji at Schalke.
    He's 20 now. I think a full-time transfer to Bundesliga II is in the cards.

Hard to know what's going on with Taitague.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  23. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Agreed. That just seems like a straight line to stagnation. I don't think he'll be with reserves though. All signs point to the club rating him pretty highly.

24. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Sigh, sigh.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. WHen those boys all moved there, I would have accepted a 30% "hit rate" in terms of future USMNT regular..........................

We want them all to succeed, of course, but we know reality can be very different.

Haji is one of those players we've talked about for a LONG time. But when we look at what he's actually accomplished in first team club soccer, the resume is pretty bare. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's scored one goal in Germany above the U19 level, which was in BundII this season. He's not a scrub, of course. He just hasn't yet demonstrated himself to be a future USMNTer. He's just one of those players (like Kenny Cooper and Nate Jaqua before him) that really SHOULD be a target forward, but seems determined to not be a target forward.

I'm not giving up on him by any means. Target forwards can break thru a little later. See Andrija Novakovich. This upcoming year is going to be important for Haji.............................