Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sakibomb523, ckajMonet and Winoman repped this.
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Unknown? Unheralded? Nowhere Colombia?

You don’t know Cali or Deportivo Cali? A youth international and 18 yo who scored a few goals for DC is unknown or unheralded? FCD payed a non-material transfer fee for the kid you described?

I saw him play our u20s in 2010 and and he was quite dominant. Based on his talent and what FCD payed for him, I wouldn't call him forcing them to sell for a small profit a huge success.

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2011/03/07/fc-dallas-acquires-forward-fabian-castillo-deportivo-cali

Fabian is a talented, young player who has shown considerable potential in his time with Deportivo Cali and the Colombian U-20 National Team,” FC Dallas Head Coach Schellas Hyndman said. “He’s very athletic, quick, explosive and capable of beating opponents with the ball, and we think he has a chance to be a key contributor for us in the future.”

A member of the Colombian U-20 National Team, Castillo began his career in the Deportivo Cali youth ranks before making his first team professional debut during the 2010 season. He appeared in 10 games during the 2010 campaign, notching three goals and logging 768 minutes.

https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2011/5/8/2159420/2011-mls-player-salaries-released

The biggest surprises right off the bat to me were Fabian Castillo's numbers and Ricardo Villar's. Castillo is said to be a Designated Player this season due to the transfer fee that Dallas paid to get him but his salary against the cap is extremely low, and one that is really typical of the age of the player.

https://www.sbnation.com/2011/3/6/2331029/fc-dallas-fabian-castillo-reportedly-finalize-deal

Rumors have been swirling around for awhile now that FC Dallas was close to signing U-20 Colombian forward Fabian Castillo. Now, Big D Soccer, SB Nation's FC Dallas blog, is reporting that the deal has been finalized. The deal reportedly involves FC Dallas paying $700,000 for half of Castillo's rights.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They should call Maloney in to the U-20's. He's not cap-tied to Germany, and we need CB's for the U-20 team.

Patrick167 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has an Instagram confirming he's German-American and it appears he's fluent in English.
    https://www.instagram.com/lennardmaloney33/

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A couple of sights say he is 182 CM or 5' 9", which is a bit wee for a CB.

And, yeah, I know all about Carles Puyol.

Maybe Lennard is the exception to the rule, as well.

But I'm skeptical of an undersized CB.

That said, I have zero qualms with the US trying to call him in and seeing if he fits somewhere on the backline.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    182 cm is essentially 6 ft tall.

ChuckMe92, Zinkoff and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Puyol is 178 cm which equals 5’10”. And the DM turned CB-Mascherano is 174 cm or 5’8”. For the shorter CB they must be quite cerebral in their game and use their positioning to their utmost advantage. Lennard imo is basically ideal enough in the height department. Hope to hear more about him

ChuckMe92, Patrick167 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I saw Mascherano once on the street in NYC. No way is he that short. (Messi was with him, btw - he is that short).

Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this on reddit,
    His instagram bio has USDE in it. He posts in English first, with the German caption underneath it.

He also follows US Soccer and several of our players including Yedlin and Wood.

Obviously can't draw any solid conclusions from this, but I'm optimistic.

Update: He liked a comment on his instagram saying "hope you decide to play for the US"
    So seems like he's interested and should be called up for at least the U20s

Patrick167, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    We seem to have dodged a bullet there, because while he was on Germany's provisional roster for the second round of UEFA U19 qualifying, he wasn't on the final squad and therefore didn't appear.

I'm pretty sure he also wasn't part of their first-round squad (which, however, TT was). So in that sense, he's apparently fair game -- though the fact that he was in the mix for Germany at all would seem to suggest it may not be so simple.

By the way: I'm still trying to confirm once and for all, if such a thing is even possible, that an appearance in a UEFA U19 round before the upcoming Finals competition, which is Europe's qualifying competition for the FIFA U20s, cap-ties a player for the U20 cycle.

The previous rounds seem more or less like CONCACAF's subregional prequalifying competitions; offhand, I don't know if they count as official in that sense. Perhaps one of you knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship#Qualification

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm told that, in CONCACAF, they do count. It seems reasonable to assume this is the same across confederations, he said, nevertheless also knowing what happens when one assumes.

ChuckMe92, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can confirm Lennard is American and holds both German and USA passports. He was born in Berlin but his father is an American from Florida.

xbhaskarx, Rahbiefowlah, Zinkoff and 2 others repped this.
  13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @travismclark’s Tweet:

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think we've actually talked about this in the youth forum. Have folks been seeing the discussion in the twitterverse that Folarin Balogun, the kid from Arsenal that scored against FCD at the U19 Dallas Cup, is US eligible? That he's eligible for the England, Nigeria, and the US? Maybe, born in the US?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/folarin-balogun-at-arsenal.2082404/

15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Born in New York City, to be more accurate

leading scorer for Arsenal's U-18 team.

Still, he's only 16.

16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balogun promoted to Arsenal's U-23s today and scores the equalizer against Liverpool's U-23 team. 1-1 draw

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's an '01. They should call him into the player pool, see how he compares to the other 01's. Playing at Arsenal doesn't guarantee anything though. Justin Butler is doing well at Bayern Munich, but wasn't at the U-18 camp right after the January summit camp that he attended. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but did he perform poorly?

18. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
    Yesterday Joshua Pynadath had 2 assists and a goal in AjaxU16 vs ADO Den HaagU16 match.

19. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole situation has sounded very shady I have to say. It seems that they have gotten around the spirit of the rule (which is supposedly to stop trafficking children) by sending Amon on contract-free stints to other countries, including Ghana if I recall correctly, where I assume he has taken all the risk (i.e. in case of injury). I believe that is trafficking, and much worse than just signing a contract in Denmark at the age of 16.

xbhaskarx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Agreed. When I first saw the great lengths FCN went to “hide” Amon, I thought that FIFA was going to be all over this. Doesn’t mean they’re in the wrong, but an investigation isn’t an absurd request given the rules.

At least Amon is 18 and can freely sign anywhere, assuming the worst if his contract is terminated.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And yet they apparently didn't even bother to hide the lengths they want to hide him. It's all spelled out on ASN!

While watching him play in South Carolina, a Danish scout convinced Amon to attend a boarding school in Copenhagen called the Kies School, which is noted for its sports programs in handball and soccer.

While practicing at Kies, he quickly caught the eye of a FC Nordsjaelland rep whose U-19 coach also worked at the school. According to Hjulmand, the coach immediately noticed Amon’s talent and called Nordsjaelland's front office to notify them. From there, Amon began to informally practice with the team outside of school.

But Amon was 15 at the time and could not sign a pro contract with a foreign team until he turned 18. To help avoid him being discovered by other clubs, Nordsjaelland tried to limit his playing time and even went so far as to send Amon to play with the club’s academy in Africa.

"We've kept him hidden a little because he had to turn 18 before we could do anything about him,” Hjulmand said. “He played a reserve game in Lyngby and was absolutely outstanding. It meant that we had to hide him away again. We did not let him play too much so people would not see him. So we have spent a couple of years training him, and he has also been at the academy in Ghana for four months.”​

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/jonathan-amon-18-making-presence-felt-in-denmark

It speaks to a system that probably isn't so easy to regulate and most likely won't ever be.

bshredder repped this.
  22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The key word in the article is "convinced". If no money changed hands then its good. That said I wonder if something like a scholarship and host family are ok. The other key word is unofficial. If it was some training stints then it is good. But what about being a guest player?

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What I really hope is that this does not become the NCAA with ever more arcane rules about what is allowed in recruitment.

24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest scored his first goal for Ajax U19 and also had an assist.

Namdynamo, TxEx, Eighteen Alpha and 4 others repped this.