Youth Yanks Abroad (1997s or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we are re-litigating the 2017 U20 roster, does anyone know when Monterrey converted Gonzalez to DM full time? IIRC he was mostly a winger or some sort of attacking midfielder not that long ago.

I wonder if Ramos missed the boat on how well the DM conversion went, but I'm not sure if the position change timeline lines up with that theory.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    '02 forward. He played in the "B" team for his FC Dallas age group.

979572171684110336 is not a valid tweet id

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. FCD wouldn't develop him as an ACM. He'd rot on the bench behind foreign DPs and TAMers and GAMers.

Parchman is right. FCD can at least identify but they're incredibly overrated when it comes to everything else. I honestly don't know where all the ridiculous hype came from.

The guys they played and sold like Shea, who flopped in the Prem and C'Ship, and Castillo, who flopped in Turkey are sad stories. McKennie highlights the need to escape.

They have an overrated coach, lots of empty seats and penny pinching owners.

Patrick167 repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    FC Dallas has had some hiccups but the money they made off Shea, Zendejas, and Sanchez was brilliant business.

I think it's wrong to assume Dunning is only going to Europe because of the way Dallas has played Pomykal. RSL is one of the best at playing teens and are still losing Taylor Booth.

Kids with EU passports will join Euro clubs a majority of the time. This isn't some new revelation.

onefineesq repped this.
  6. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Shea came to Dallas when he was 16. Castillo came to Dallas as an unknown, unheralded 18 year old from nowhere Colombia.

These are actually examples of players FCD obtained as teens, developed, and sold for big bucks to Europe. The opposite of what you're suggesting.

If you had asked me yesterday to rank my top 15 most likely FCD homegrown signings this spring/summer..................Jamie Dunning wouldn't have been on it. He's a 16 year old that doesn't play for FCD U17s. FCD has a 16 year old that's starting for them at the U19 Dallas Cup. In the game against Arsenal, I'd argue that he was their player of the game (Thomas Roberts). If you had told me yesterday that a forward/attacking midfielder had left the FCD academy for Europe, I would have guessed USYNTer Beni Redzic. He's one of the stars of their U17 team, and has scored 14 goals in his last 12 games.

We can all criticize FCD for their shortcomings. But that's letting 20 MLS teams (not named RSL and NYRB) off the hook, because they all lag behind FCD.

onefineesq and TCS35 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Do you think that's how FC Dallas looks at it? "Well, we lost Weston McKennie, but at least we're not Colorado," or something?

Seems to me that the most useful conversation we could have about this would be to 1) try to understand what the goal of each club's strategy for its academy is now, and if/how it's evolving, and 2) how it's doing against that goal. (Of course, we could also debate whether we agree with those goals.)

What do you think FCD's goal is? And how is it doing?

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    We can use this thread to discuss actual youth Yanks actually playing abroad?

Gorky, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD gets more flak than other clubs because:

1) DFW is one of the top three talent-producing metropolitan areas in the US
    2) FC Dallas clearly produces a lot of talented teenagers, but fails to create an optimal developmental ladder from the academy to the first team

From the perspective of a US soccer fan, it simply matters more that FC Dallas get this 100% right than whatever is happening with the Rapids or Revs or many other clubs.

It is not good enough that FC Dallas is doing somewhat better than most other clubs. Most other clubs are sitting on a much weaker talent pool and aren't even doing a great job with what they have, anyway.

Looking back before I hit 'post', there's a third factor, I think:

3) After a promising start, Oscar Pareja is increasingly viewed as a false messiah with regard to being a youth whisperer. There's still time to turn things around, but 2017 was a very big setback.

Patrick167, TCS35, xbhaskarx and 4 others repped this.
  12. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm very curious to see where Weah falls when the full team is healthy. I can't help but feel that the next pre-season will be enormous for him.

onefineesq and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No. I think McKennie is really the one loss to Europe that they're disappointed by. The led to the signing of a whole bunch of youngsters like Ferreira, Reynolds, and Pax. Of course they did that without a USL team and without an opening in the first team for those players.

Having anti-FCD tantrums because a player left that nobody had heard of prior to Will Parchman's tweet......................doesn't make much sense to me. That's what I was getting at. This happens all the time.

By the way, I think Dunning moved to the FCD academy from Georgia. I wonder if FCD found out that they aren't able to sign him to a homegrown contract anyway. Maybe that's why he hasn't been playing with their U17 academy team. I'd have a hard time believing that a player good enough to be recruited by Feyenoord can't make their DA team.

RiccardoSimone and onefineesq repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I'm critical of FCD not doing as much as I think they should, but it really does seem like Parchman whipped a bunch of Mad On Twitter people up without any real cause.

15. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    What’s the deal with Financial Fair play and PSG? I’ve seen some reports that they’re somewhat in the clear after selling Moura and probable sale of Draxler this summer. Other reports I’ve seen say they’re still in trouble.

If they can’t buy anyone new, that certainly helps Weah’s cause for next year

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And there's the whole Neymar saga this summer as well.

17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Sargent scores in a U-19 friendly -

18. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Sargent scored again in a 2-0 win over Everton. You can watch the archived stream here, its the 4th video in the sidebar, skip to 12:45 for the goal - http://www.u19-cup.com/en/livestream

Game against Salzburg is also there, skip to 11:10 if you want to watch that.

Next match is tomorrow against Gladbach

19. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    What time is the game?

The goal against Everton was great. Wins a long ball and flicks it to the left for a teammate to move on to, makes the run and bangs in the shot. Played as a ST in a 4-2-3-1 but dropped back a little bit early in buildups (just past the center circle). They had him stay high on a corner. They use him as an outlet.

The goal against Salzburg was easier. Salzburg's LCB got a short GK and played it long. Werder won the second ball. Chipped it forward back, just wide of where it came from. A Bremen player made a run to the top of the box and got it played inside to him. Sargent had peeled off to the weakside, his third man run was rewarded and he finished back against his run to his right, first time with his left.

Also there's a short game against a Japanese Highschool where Josh got a secondary assist (I think). He came back in midfield took control, quickly sidestepped a market, and laid off to a teammate in space on the left wing who in think then got it to LW to go 1v1 and score. I think it was him earlier with a good chance on the right side of the box where his (typical) well hit, high, near post shot was palmed out for a corner.

Mario Balotelli and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    @zlebmada maybe a little GIF action?

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  22. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is one of the more natural finishers we have had come through the ranks in the last 5 years. He had a poor run with the US U-20s due to a complete lack of training opportunity/ environment. If he is at a club that cares about his development we could see him bloom into quite the player.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Highlights from the game vs. AGF Aarhus ... an excellent goal by Sabbi:

bsky22 and Winoman repped this.
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    German-American '99 CB and Germany youth international Lennard Maloney made his 2. Bundesliga debut yesterday for Union Berlin.

Namdynamo, TxEx, ussoccer97531 and 2 others repped this.