Youth Yanks Abroad, '01-'04 YOBs (and Younger): 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm ... who do they have in common that might give them advice?

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman repped this.
  3. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    What’s about being a USYNT fan right now is that if this doesn’t work out, this isn’t their only pathway to the pros, it’s very feasible we see them get a chance with Loudoun.

I think Baltimore is screaming for a USL team of some level. I know they have the Christos in NPSL but I worked in east Maryland last summer and none of my friends knew of them. That being said plenty of my friends had grown up Baltimore Blast fans. The level of play of the kids in the area is pretty high there too. Baltimore would be perfect for a San Antonio type independent USL team where they sign local talent, they could even affiliate with Armour or Celtic.

Dirt McGirt and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

6. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Pretty Sure Justin has a German Passport so good move for him to get over there ASAP if possible.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Can he sign yet? He’s 15, and doesn’t turn 16 until November. I suspect this is for the January 2020 window, if he’s signing in Germany.

8. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    He may have relatives there but not completely sure. I think his mom may be German so don't know if Fifa Rule 19 would apply or not.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Luksarus, ussoccer97531 and Peretz48 repped this.
  10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    reyna seems like a player who could very well have a huge leap forward when he is forced to start solving problems with his brain in europe. hes shown flashes of having a pretty good soccer iq, but it just isnt necessary when he can go physically dominate kids his age

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think thats a good point.

I saw an article on the Bundesliga website that stated that Reyna could make his first team debut this season, which sounded crazy, if you consider that he's not a dominant player in U-17 football, often is outplayed by his teammates, and the first team at the academy he's now in is a top 20 team in the world that hasn't promoted many players to their first team from their academy in recent seasons. Reyna's not even 17 years old yet. If he debuted this season, he would most likely debut at a younger age than Pulisic did.

Reyna does have a high level of talent when you consider his size, speed, 1v1 ability, passing vision, set piece ability, and positional versatility, so maybe he'll start to show quicker decisions and more of an impetus to be the best player every game. It's also possible that he never makes it at Borussia Dortmund because most good young players don't, and he falls into some type of Taitague (without injuries) scenario where he's looking for a new club in a few years.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    '01 with YNT caps

Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #590 ielag, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Would think it’s a mix of them rating him and being American.

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    does seem like a nice sweetener to get a kid to sign

17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He's not? Who states these facts.

frankburgers and don Lamb repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This discussion is not in terms of facts. Its about opinions. I've seen Reyna play for years, and Reyna is one of these very talented kids that might have the talent to dominate, but doesn't do so consistently and his contribution comes out to more of a very good complimentary player. I think part of the reason the '02 age group is weak is because the team lacks a star attacking midfield player that previous cycles have had (like an Alvarez). Reyna is tasked with carrying the attacking midfield with little help, and this age group has achieved mediocre results because he's not been capable of that and is more of a complimentary player. This goes all the way back to the U-15 age group.

I've watched him play probably between 5-10 times for NYCFC, and more than half of those games Scally was the better player. He had a good (but not great) Nike Friendlies last year. He had one dominant half in one of those games, but its important to remember that Akinola had I think five goals at that tournament a few years ago, and was over a goal per game for his career with the U-17's. Its not a high bar to be a good U-17 player. We need to expect more from the best talents. To his credit, he's never played with other star attacking mids around him, so that could be part of why he's played like more of a complimentary player. He did look dominant against CONCACAF minnows, but I don't think thats ever been the barometer for top level players in this country.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Reyna is multitalented. He can play well 4 different positions. If he was as limited as Alvarez he would play always the same position and was making plays as automatically as Alvarez does. Hopefully BVB figures out what he is and lets him play there unlike what Schalke is doing to Wes.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I've watched Reyna almost as much as you did and I disagree.
    'The 16 year old is considered to be one of the most highly rated youngsters in his country. At the age of just 14, Reyna helped NYCFC U17s win the Generation Adidas Cup, and was named the player of the tournament. He also played a leading role in the US U15s’ win at the Delle Nazioni tournament, scoring four goals and providing four assists.In the 2017/18 season, he led the New York City FC’s U18/U19 team to the U.S. Development Academy championship, scoring 15 goals in 22 appearances. Reyna also scored six goals at the CONCACAF U-17 Championships in May, helping the United States reach the final where they lost to Mexico.'
    Dortmund doesn't waste their time signing average youth players internationally.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not the best quality of video, but that does look like a sweet goal. 2nd half of the video has a better angle. He abuses those poor defenders.
    1149819111817527296 is not a valid tweet id

23. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

24. coachd24

coachd24 Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Club:
    RC Lens
    I think Reyna has a ton of potential but the biggest issue I saw with him in the U17's was trying to do a little too much and he got away with a lot of bad decisions based on his talent/size. He's probably always been the most talented player on the field and has not been challenged.. I am hoping that the move to Dortmund will allow him to struggle in training sessions and force him to change his a game a little bit. The U17 World Cup will be the first look at what the move has done but I think the U20 WC in 21 will really be the measuring stick as to his development as a player. I think the sky is the limit for this kid but I don't think he's going to take the next step until he struggles in Germany.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In that case, I have good news for you. Looks like the move is really humbling him so far.

;)

dougtee, Patrick167 and butters59 repped this.