Youth Yanks Abroad, '01-'04 YOBs (and Younger): 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. Whether he becomes a better footballer is another story, but most talented at the pure skills required for CB (mobility, passing, feet, tackling, reading of plays, positioning, aerial ability). Main thing he needs work on is picking his spots better. He tries to make risky ventures out of the back too often. He needs to learn to dial that back.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't want to make another thread so putting this in here, but the ICC Futures championships are today. Although no US team made the final in the Championship division, the second highest division (called the Bowl division) features Spurs vs a North Carolina all star team.

The tournament is '04s and later. Game's currently 1-1 and streaming on facebook live (). I thought the idea of state all star teams was really cool, and hopefully MLS teams are taking advantage of how easy it will be to scout these kids.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

'02 U17 DM whose father is English.

4. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Worth noting also that the match reports on West Ham's website show an unnamed trialist coming on as a sub in the second half of both games.

5. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he have to wear a Mexican wrestling mask to appear in friendlies? I do kind of like that image.

6. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    More importantly, is he any good? Someone in the DA thread described him as fringe and said there probably weren't any pro-caliber players on his RBNY U-17 squad.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He starts for the u17 usynt right now, so he’s obviously fairly good. That could easily change in the next year and a half before the World Cup, but if you’re on that roster, you’re going pro somewhere.

Not sure why anyone would go to West Ham for development instead of the Red Bulls, though.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Historically West Ham has been pretty well known for development.
    [ Relatively recent names include Paul Ince, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Jermaine Defoe, Glen Johnson, Mark Noble, the list goes on.]

Just like all of the Premier League, it seems increasingly hard to break thru. Premier League teams just have so much cash and its so easy to buy a foreign player. Remember went people got so excited about Reece Oxford breaking into the West Ham first team in 2015? I think he was 16 and played well in his opportunities. Never got more of a chance, and they've loaned him out a couple of times.

Peter must have had access to a Euro passport, right? He's not 18 yet, and wouldn't qualify for a work permit when he is.

Patrick167 repped this.
  9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean all of those players are almost a decade out of youth development. I can't really think of any West Ham players who have come out of the academy other than Reece Oxford and the jury's still out on him. I think that RBNY is a much better place for development than most places in England due to their reluctance to play youth players.

10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stroud's mother is a frequent poster on the USSDA Facebook page, and it's evident that her husband, Peter's father, is English. They're also parents of Jared Stroud of NYRB II.

11. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Sebastian Lletget has to be the ultimate cautionary tale here, right?

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I get it regarding 2018.

I was pointing out West Ham from a historical perspective. Up until recently there was a steady stream of talent coming thru that academy. West Ham is still called the "Academy of Football' because it's been the most successful academy in England from a historical perspective. For instance, when the English think of their 1966 team, a bunch of those guys were West Ham graduates. Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters. So all four goals in their final win over Germany were scored by West Ham academy graduates. Up until the current generation, the West Ham academy was dominant for 50 years.

The same thing that's happened at West Ham happened at Southampton. A club known for youth and player development had been under so much pressure not to get relegated that they just kept trying to upgrade with foreign players. Part of the reason the model didn't work for them was because every good youngster they did develop was poached. Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Lallana, Shaw, the list goes on. Its unsustainable.

The one team that seems to still be trying to some degree is Everton.

Patrick167 and ShaftBrewer repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Somewhat.

He's good enough to play for the West Ham academy. Is he a top level prospect? Not in my opinion, but I think he's shown improvements in the last year.

14. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    1022186715237306368 is not a valid tweet id

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Kelman vs. Brighton & Hove U18s:

17. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kelman is a very interesting player. All I've seen is that he scores goals constantly. Is he a poacher? I'm working on getting some Southend U18 games so maybe we'll get a better idea but I'm very intrigued by him.

18. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

Have seen him play since U8. He was from the DFW area and then moved overseas, I think he has a parent that is of English descent. He moved back to DFW for about at year at U15. He is not a poacher and has tremendous skill and savy. He is a fairly big kid bodywise but has quickness and pace to go with the strength. If he keeps it up in England he should be called in to the U20s.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    '01 in the LAG academy who was recently called into the U-18 NT. Almost anything's better than LAG, so hopefully his trial goes well.

1024011390640578562 is not a valid tweet id

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1024369815501328384 is not a valid tweet id

22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Greene doesn't turn 18 until 2021, so unless he has access to a passport (which his DA profile doesn't indicate) the distinction is probably academic.

Tom Collingsworth and TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    '02 transfers from Bethesda to Fulham. Only played 12 times for Bethesda U17 last season, started 3.