Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘97-‘00 YOBs: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I agree with this line of thinking. If FCD approach is to only serve and promote kids that have committed to the club, they are really selling themselves short as a club.

They should have a 2 pronged approach to these prospects. For the kids that have signed and committed, they should be looking for opportunities for them to get better in environments like Bayern's. The second approach would be for the kids that haven't signed. They should be trying to create value for these kids on a much broader scale. If they end up agreeing to terms with FCD, that's great. If not, they have increased the players value and could catch some of the windfall if they end up signing in Europe.

Patrick167, STANDFAST and Runhard repped this.
  2. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    Agreed, just not the wisest moves. Take a kid like Seth Wilson for example. FCD has a lot of keepers ahead of him so FCD may not be interested in signing him. However, he is a National Team level keeper and very high prospect as a pro. FCD should sit down with him, offer any and all assistance to get to Europe and promote the heck out of him. If Seth goes on trials, and a Euro team wants him, sign him to a quick deal, then sell him and make some money off him. Or you could just ignore it and let him figure it out himself, and lose potential transfer money.

Same situation with a number of young kids currently in the academy. Get the value out of them.

Pegasus and STANDFAST repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If anything is true, it is that these 16 yo's are more savvy and/or better represented than kids used to be. The Munich connection was touted as a unique pathway to Europe by FCD. But if the Bayern affiliation is seen as only for kids that commit 5 years to MLS, then it no longer becomes a selling point to potential recruits. I also don't know if Bayern would have thought they were limiting themselves to the tiny subset of Dallas area talent that has signed with FCD long term. Is Brian Reynolds even a top prospect anymore, or is he simply on the payroll?

Any kid from the Academy can be monetized with a move to Bayern through TC. There is no real threat of not getting a return by sending anyone in the Academy over.

STANDFAST and Runhard repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    None of this discussion is appropriate for this thread.

Anyway.........................despite reports of it being possible, no Chris Richards today for Bayern. Only one MLS academy product in their 18.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #380 ussoccer97531, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    twoolley and Winoman repped this.
  6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    TxEx, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #382 ussoccer97531, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    EPB had the assist on the winning goal for Austria Vienna. I don't think anyone bothers to watch the Austrian league, but they are struggling this season, yet he plays every game, so I'm assuming he's not been one of the main problems. Either way, I'm not sure how 3rd division players and MLS rotation players are on the U-23 team ahead of him, but then again Kreis has always been a terribly overrated manager who has no clue what he's doing.

1193594882029473798 is not a valid tweet id

Another U-23 option at CF.

SCSAutism, USSoccerNova, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Gioacchini scored a goal and drew a penalty for Caen today in the French Cup.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1196816684142735362 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I totally missed this other day.
    Keaton Parks returning to Benfica...………..….

don Lamb, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He had a bad season. I think there's a lot he still has to learn, but Chicago might not be a good environment for that. I wouldn't mind him transferring to Europe, but I would not be sure he's ready to play in a top caliber league. There had been some rumors that some clubs in the top leagues had interest, I'm not sure he'd be able to play at that level yet.

don Lamb repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This last year was up and down, but he was coming back from a significant injury. Right? He basically missed all of the 2018 season after tearing his ACL.

I think he can "play in Europe," but Bundesliga is a step too far. Ya know, Nurnberg is actually near the relegation zone of Bund 2. They have a name people recognize, so they assume its a club doing well. And of course, we've had Americans there. Tony Sanneh, for instance. But they may actually need some players like Mihailovic. Even if its just squad players of a certain standard.

He has a Serbian father and Macedonian mother. Those are not European Union countries. So presumably that doesn't do him much good in terms of opening doors in most Euro countries.

By the way, Hannover is having a horrific year. They're one point above the relegation zone from Bundesliga 2. They're worse than Nurnberg!

Stupid_American and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So ... Parks Off To Benfica?

(Anyone get this reference?)

15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Parks lacks the surname impact of the infamous manager, though.

NYCFC has confirmed the end of his loan. Either he is loaned again or Benfica gives him a shot.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    At about 1300 minutes this year, this puts him in the range of a top squad player (defined as a field player who finished 11-14 on his team in minutes played based on 2017 numbers). That was a big jump for him. Wonder what's next.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kTr8jxpX6UoTc_7DvOrIlRkeaXYgNrIvwj46vwqCHJU/edit?usp=sharing

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He played 1,289 minutes of the last 1,620 that NYCFC played (not counting the last 270' he was injured for). He was not a squad player after matchday 15; he was a starter.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I double checked and it turns out you're 100% right to say that his minutes were higher in the games in which he played and/or for which he was healthy than in those in which he did not and/or was not. ;)

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Haha! I think there were 14 weeks where he was barely involved to start the season. After that, he appears in every game and starts the majority. He is injured at the end of the year and misses the last 3. Your narrative was he played here and there all year filling in. But, he became a starter in Week 15 and ended that way. Much different than your narrative.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Peretz48, TxEx, gogorath and 2 others repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dest had an assist yesterday for Ajax off the bench. 5 assists in 11 games.

EPB started again and his team kept a clean sheet. He's been a regular all season in a team that has struggled. The team is starting to play a little better.

KUSA77, deejay, USSoccerNova and 3 others repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I really haven't been paying attention to him at all, but Haji Wright apparently had an impactful game for VVV yesterday.

1198630482986098691 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Chris Richards still starting for Bayern II. [Would love to see Booth playing for this team at some point soon.]

But I guess this isn't so good. Sounds like was partially at fault for the opponent's goal (hard to say anything definitive without seeing it.)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I heard from a friend at FCD that Thomas Roberts was also being shopped around to other clubs in Germany outside of Bayern and there were a number of other clubs there watching the recent FCD kids on their visit to Bayern. Would be nice to see at least one or two of them move over soon.

KUSA77, don Lamb, ussoccer97531 and 3 others repped this.