Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘97-‘00 YOBs: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

1188100200931512320 is not a valid tweet id

TxEx, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1188467324212432898 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Now that Dest has declared for the USA, can someone post links to all his Ajax highlights from the past month? For my sanity, I was ignoring them.

Pl@ymaker and TarHeels17 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1188530780718424067 is not a valid tweet id

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SCSAutism, sakibomb523 and bballshawn repped this.
  6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1189543605184159744 is not a valid tweet id

7. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Kalonji Soccer Academy to Hobro IK, name a more iconic duo.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    McKennie and Sargent had assists in the German Cup, Wright had a goal in the Dutch Cup.

Winoman and Stupid_American repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    TxEx and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Chris Richards sighting. According to family, he's training with the first team.

And best Halloween costume for a Yank Abroad may have gone to Weston McKennie :)

Winoman repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman repped this.
  13. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    FCD announced Thomas Roberts, Bryan Reynolds, Edwin Cerrillo, Pepi and David Rodriguez are going to train with Bayern. Hope they all get picked and move over to Germany. If not Bayern, hopefully another BL club will be watching them as they trial.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #364 Clint Eastwood, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Worth noting that this isn't one of those loans that Richards went on. Just a short 2-week training stint. I guess that if one of the kids really impresses, then a more formal loan can be arranged.

Pepi can't go on loan until he's 18.
    I don't think Reynolds, Cerrillo, or Rodriguez are good enough.

This is the 3rd time that Roberts has gone on a training stint at Bayern. Buzz strongly implies in his column on the subject that this is a trial for Thomas. Makes sense. Impress again, and a more permanent move may be arranged (maybe loan first like Richards did). Anyway, he's an 01, so its the wrong thread anyway.

don Lamb repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #365 ussoccer97531, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019

Winoman repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Four players signed to first team contracts, and then one who isn't signed but will probably sign eventually. I think the fact that Gomez wasn't included tells you that he's probably going to sign abroad, and not use the FCD-Bayern Munich pipeline to sign in Europe. The same might apply for Tessman.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I think it's still up in the air if Gomez signs with FCD, they just need to back up the brinks truck. If he was signed, he would probably be on this trip.

I find it hard to believe Arturo Rodriguez didn't go if David did. Arturo seems to get no love from FCD. He wins USL player of the year yet hasn't gotten a HG deal and to my knowledge hasn't played a single game with the first team. Gomez has played with the first team and isn't even a signed player.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think FCD has sent a kid not under contract to the Bayern training sessions. That's for kids that have committed to the program. And they certainly send players on loan there that aren't under contract.

It was definitely Tessman that was my first thought.....................not Gomez. If Tessman had signed a deal by now, this would have been perfect for him.

19. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    That's pretty short sighted and frankly stupid policy by FCD. They should send however many Bayern will let them send, signed or not. If they send Gomez and Bayern wants him, they could always do a sign and sell. Same with any kid from the academy.

I think Tessman is college football bound. Clemson kicker next year.

Patrick167 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What I'd like to know is the thought process around this decision. I'm not accusing him of making a bad decision, but I don't believe he's a very highly rated kicker. It's not like he's a sure thing to reach the NFL as a kicker in a few years.

On the other hand, he's a pretty high level soccer prospect. Without dispute, I think you can say that he's hurting his soccer development right now, and will as long as he's not in a professional setting. Does he think he can do 4 years of college football as a kicker and then four years of college soccer and still play soccer professionally? Is he even allowed to play for both teams? I don't know how that would work logistically. Is he giving up on soccer? I'm sure he has a good reason for this decision, but it doesn't seem apparent to an outsider what that good reason is.

Patrick167 repped this.
  21. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I follow Clemson Football and Recruiting closer than US Soccer and I am likely the only follower who has ever even heard of Tessman.

I can’t find anything about him even playing football, but kickers are the hardest to track so that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Tessman’s Dad is a childhood friend of Dabo Swinney (Clemson Coach) and runs his foundation. Swinney is notorious for having 3 - 4 players on scholarship who are kids of adults involved with the programs regardless of if they are DI quality. For instance Brian Dawkins kid is on scholarship and he probably would not play in Division II much less Clemson.

So the rumor that Tessman who might not even be a good kicker will be a kicker at Clemson can’t be dismissed outright.

Now to play both sports at Clemson, Tessman would have to be on football scholarship.

He seems too good of a prospect to waste time playing much college soccer much less split time, but who knows. His profile is more of the type that would value college than others.

Stupid_American repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #372 Clint Eastwood, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Not really. They have a lot of kids they can send who've committed to the program. You invest and provide opportunities for those kids first. By definition. Same as every other aspect of the program (NTSC opportunities, etc.) This is only a two-week trip. Just a perk for these youngsters that have been on the fringes of the FCD first team this season.

Unless Gomez has a passport that I don't know about, he can't move to Europe until the winter transfer window of 2021. Bayern isn't conducting a summer camp here. Maybe next winter for Jonathan when he's a little closer to that time. Seriously, he only just turned 16. Let's all slow our roll.

Count me as somebody who doesn't actually want our young prospects moving to Bayern anyway. If I made a list of academies in Germany I'd want our kids to move to, Bayern would be pretty far down the list.

Stupid_American repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1191906006181306369 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  24. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    #374 Runhard, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    I still think that is shortsighted. You invest and give opportunities to your best prospects, period. Sending over an Almagar will get you nothing and is more like the summer camp you mention. Why not send a play you have already brought into first team games as a 16 year old before he ever signed a contract? FCD surely thinks higher of him than anyone else in the club not signed. The fact he is not signed is irrelevant.

If Bayern likes him you do an easy sign and trade, FCD makes money, Bayner gets their player and we have another chance to have a real pro break out in Europe for the USMNT.

FCD needs to think more outside the box and get over this notion of "committed" to the club. A player is committed if you have something better to offer than anywhere else or you can make them money. It's a business deal, not a friendship or family. Even thought FCD likes to push that line.

FCD is close to last in club value for all MLS clubs. They are valued at 220 Million and the price to even buy a new fanchise is 200 Million, so not valued very highly. They are close to last in attendance for the entire league. They have sold one player to Europe they claim to have developed in their famed academy, even though they really didn't. They finished in the last playoff spot in a league where its very easy to make the playoffs. From all measures, FCD is currently a failing MLS franchise.

The best thing FCD has going is the hope of future sales on the potential of young players. Send as many as possible over the Europe, put them in the shop window and make some money off them.

If they try to hold onto these kids too tight, the kids will go on their own and cut FCD out of the loop.

STANDFAST repped this.
  25. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    I have heard it a lot from local folks. I agree it seems odd he would walk right into being a D1 kicker having never kicked a ball in a live game in HS. I think he goes to Lonestar HS in Frisco and don't recall having heard of him ever kicked for them. Yet, a number of people still talk about how he is going to Clemson for football. He surely has options and maybe he signs with a European team and surprises everyone.