Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘01-‘04 YOBs (and younger): 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    From what I read, they rate him very highly. He also has 3G, 6A in 842 minutes (all comps), so he's playing well. Reyna's also the youngest age-eligible player on the team (they have the 14 year old Moukoko on the team as the youngest player of any age).

What I'd question is the pathway. When Pulisic broke through, there was less competition, and there were games to allow an academy player to be integrated into the team. A team competing for a title probably isn't going to start giving minutes to a 16/17 year old. They might not have a game this season that doesn't matter where they can afford to throw Reyna or Moukoko in.

Many people think of BVB as a club that brings through a lot of academy players because they've done so in past years, but the last academy player they brought through was Pulisic or Bruun-Larsen (same age). Bruun-Larsen also doesn't play very much, so they don't have a young player on their first team that came through the academy that plays regularly. Have they not had any good academy players since Pulisic came through the system? I doubt it. There was likely no pathway for these players.

If you look at their first team, they have a bunch of young players who don't play often like Unbehaun, Morey, Raschl, Zagadou, Balerdi, Bruun-Larsen. They have Gomez out on loan, and recently sold Isak (who didn't play much for them). The only two players younger than 23 who play regularly are Hakimi and Sancho, so it shows that BVB is now a club where they have a lot of veterans and established players who take up the minutes. Is there a pathway for Reyna? If there is a pathway available for an academy player, would it go to Reyna? The highly rated '04 Moukoko has 15 goals in 10 U-19 games (Dantouma Toure, an American highly rated '04 CF, has 4 goals in 6 U-19 games playing in a weaker U-19 system.)

USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I believe Moukoko isn’t even eligible to play in Bundesliga matches until the 21/22 season due to BL age rules. Gio barely qualified for being eligible to play in BL matches this season.

Also in terms of BVB’s quality coming through their academy the past few years. They really haven’t had anyone on the German YNT’s. So it could’ve been a dry spell for a couple years for them. Hasn’t been a Kai Havertz or anything in their academy.

Sancho could be sold this coming summer or summer ‘21 at the latest and that will move Gio up the ladder.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’d hope so, but whose to say they don’t spend money on a replacement? If they are trying to win a title, is it smart to replace one of their best players with a 17 year old academy player?

I look at Reyna’s club situation as similar to KDLF’s (with a slightly higher chance of breaking through). Hoppe (a worse talent) likely has a better chance to break through. Llanez (probably also a worse talent) likely has a better chance to break through. That doesn’t mean Reyna isn’t a very good player and isn’t going to have a good career, but to me it’s looking a lot like the Richards path where it’s probably a loan or two and then a permanent sale instead of breaking through to the first team.

I think he should’ve signed with NYCFC because I think he’d be on an Adams type of pathway. I often find that our players have more success breaking through the academy of the second tier of teams that can’t afford to sign and keep high profile experienced players (McKennie at Schalke, Dest at Ajax). Even when Pulisic broke through at BVB, they were more in that mold.

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    nycfc has very little in common with Schalke and Ajax.

5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Sancho is probably in his last season. Guerriero could be too. Brun Larsen has been pedestrian. Brandt and Reus are played inside. Hazard is really the only winger they will have returning. They could sign someone. Right now, Reyna might be an injury away from the 18. He has been training with the first team most days.

After her returns from the WC, he will probably go with the 1st team for winter training. They might sign someone, but he could also overtake Bruun Larsen and Guerriero ( who is hurt a lot) for minutes.

don Lamb repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sousa made his first team debut in a friendly for Hamburg.

1182432952824877056 is not a valid tweet id

Here's a highlight video of the Brazilian-American player who was just called into the U-23's. Looks like a good finisher, some skill on the ball, finds the ball in the box and can hold up the ball to some extent. Doesn't look incredibly dynamic, but these are only highlights. How he compares to the other strikers in the U-20 pool is still to be determined.

Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

KUSA77, TxEx, ussoccer97531 and 6 others repped this.
  9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When a guy like this does well it's just some gravy on the side.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i can feel the sentiment, but it really does show how much of a crapshoot player identification is at the u17 level.

Thundering165 and TarHeels17 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Sousa was under the radar. He had been mentioned a few times on this website as a guy with some potential, but played in a non-MLS academy and isn't yet a regular in his YNT age group. He's also a player who has high potential, but hasn't yet turned that potential into excellent play. He might be beginning to do that at Hamburg, and thats the type of thing thats hard to predict. You can analyze that a player is talented and could become an excellent player if he turns the potential into results, but predicting when that will happen (if it does) is incredibly hard.

Pegasus and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1183817539366916098 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Winoman repped this.
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

KUSA77, gogorath, xbhaskarx and 5 others repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Peretz48, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Under Dale Vince's chairmanship Forest Green became the world's first vegan football club in 2015, and the New Lawn was installed with numerous eco-friendly innovations."

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-38099788/forest-green-rovers-the-completely-vegan-football-club

Unfortunately I found out about this just after my last trip to England otherwise I would have gone there...

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1185696493380030464 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1186055069743095808 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker, USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1186329192197251079 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker and bballshawn repped this.
  23. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    USYNT 02 and 03 combined camp coming up in Lake Ranch Florida November 10-19th.

Assuming this is kids who are not on the current 02WC team as hopefully they will still be there.

BraveUpNorth, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1187015175662198785 is not a valid tweet id

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles