Youth Training - The Brazilian Way

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by JohnR, Dec 24, 2003.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    "The old story that the game is mainly played by the poor is over ... the myth that players only come from the streets is finished. They are all bred in clubs, now. At eight or nine years old they are already in the academies." - Carlos Alberto Parreira, Brazil National Coach (World Soccer 2004)

Not what you expected to hear, is it?

2. Lono

Lono Member

Jul 1, 2000
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    whatever it is, it seems to be working.. U17, World Youth, World Cup. .

3. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    My brother has spent a lot of time in Brazil. From what he says getting future players off the streets, and into academies as young as possible is probably the safest place for them to be.

Richie

4. Usafan

Usafan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    My son spent two years playing in Brazil. We moved there after he was recruited at the age of 14. His contract expired this fall. FIFA changed the rules and now you have to be 18th for international contracts.

For the Brazilian kids they are "sold to the Clubs" by their parents. Many only see their parent once a year. They move into dorms with a hundred other parentless kids. Sex with older players and coaches is very common. Clubs are not a very safe place. That is why we gave up the comforts of America and rented a condo, so that we could be with our son. Thank God that I could take care of my business over the internet.

Their ODP success is a different story. It's due to the numbers of players training under huge pressure just to send money home to feed their brothers & sisters. It's not about getting into college or making your club look better so that they can charge higher fees.

A starting center mid on the Brazilian U-17 National team couldn't break into the U-20's. And that spot was held by my son a U-17 American. They could not understand why he wasn't in Finland.

There is no perfect system. Michael Jordon was cut. Mistakes will be corrected if the player keeps pressing on.

At least Brazil can't sell the slaves oversea anymore.

5. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    USAfan- How do they train players in brazil? They use foot reads right? How does that work?

Interested American.

Richie

6. Usafan

Usafan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    I don't know a lot about the detailed training. I played American football.

What I do know is that they spend two hours twice a day four or five days a week. They had 28 players at practice. This included 24 players with contracts worrying about the four test players who were trying to get their job.

They played a full sided game every day. Since I didn't speak the Portuguese I didn't understand the coaching. My son picked up Portuguese fairly well by the second year. I know that my son learned a new way to pass the ball; it is now harder for other players to read his passes. This can be a problem with his new teammates. Many times they are surprised by a quick pass when he hasn't given any body signs.

7. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    No, no body signs? Maybe his team mates here just don't know how to read those signs?

Why don't you ask your son about the way Brazilians communicate with each other by what part of his foot he uses when he passes to a team mate "foot reads". We might find it very interesting.

Richie

8. Anoldo Schwarzeneggr

Anoldo Schwarzeneggr BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    Wow, an American u-17 in Brazil starting for his club ahead of one of the u-17 brasilians?

What club?

If true, good for Ami soccer. And if he's good, don't sweat it pops. ODP isn't the end-all be-all. Two words: Kenny Cooper.

9. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    We definitely need to know who your kid is! Being outside the USSF umbrella would have hurt his chances at being looked at. However, the long term development of your son is what's important, and being developed in Brazil will surely lead to mega opportunities in the future...

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only know of one in Brazil who was eligible for the U17s in Finland.

11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I can't remember the kid's name, but I think some of the Anglophile posters were talking about how average he was....probably didn't like how often he got 'stuck in'. :)

12. miky

miky Member

Dec 24, 2003
    The brazilian way is the best way.to play football efectively you need such conditions.playing in a small compatment area, not only corditate your skill to be able to maneuver the ball through defenders on pitch. It develops useful tricks and skills to get pass defenders.the likes is that you would be fast.control the ball well.outrun, outdribble and futher more plunge on your opponents mental ability causing fustration and embarrasment which is the main deal to succes. thats why we have players like jay jay okocha,zinede zidane,ryan giggs,pele,roperto calous,and the greatest maradona.there history would be shocking but there achievement classy.

13. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Reading foot touches is part of the brazilian way.

Since you know the Brazilian way. Maybe you can give us examples of the foot reads that the brazilians do. Like a ball touch on a particular part of the foot pick the part, and then what should the receiver do after that touch with that part of the foot? The dribbler is communicating to the reciver what he wants the receiver to do by the touch.

USAfan never came back to us on this for some reason? Maybe you can help us?