Youth Tie Bush, Draft Reinstatement

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Chicago1871, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poll: Youth Tie Bush, Draft Reinstatement
    That's a big blow to the Bush campaign with the registration of young voters up this election year. It is bound to be addressed, and vehemently denied by both sides at tonights debate.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting if true (and validated Nov. 2.) Since, as I understand it, the polls don't encompass recent registrants, this would mean a point or so for Kerry on election day.

3. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    Didnt tonight Kerry compain about how there was such a small number of troops and how he was going to increase the troops. Where are they gonna come from the sky?!?!

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AA...have you heard of the World Cup? It's this soccer tournament. And aaaaall the nations of the world have a chance to be there.

The World Cup is NOT a contest between the US and Iraq.

Look, AA, I've already pegged you as a smartass teenager. And that's OK. But somebody's got to edumacate you. Don't pretend to be dumb; it's really annoying.

I would also point out that the draft fear is pretty unrealistic wrt Iraq only. The fear is that the neocons haven't been purged, and will almost certainly get strenghtened when Powell (and maybe Rummy) leave. At that point, the US will be playing "spin the globe" to decide where to invade next.

5. AbercrombieAnde

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Despite vehement denials, and despite the Blind Bush Backer's vehement protests that it's all part of the liberal agenda to bring this country down, this is a bit of poetic justice.

1. Despite the overwhelming info that establishes no link btw Iraq and 9/11, many Americans believe otherwise, thanks to the propaganda spewed by the administration in the months leading up to the war. This naivete serves the goals of the White House.

2. Uh, youth are the ones who fight the war, so no matter what ANY politician states, they are legitimately concerned about themselves, their friends and colleagues having to go to war. The "misguided" concern about a draft is really just re-articulated protest against the war.

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    This is in large part because Democratic speakers have been going around to college campuses saying that a vote for Bush is a vote for the draft. How do I know this? Because Howard Dean did it at BC just this past Wednesday. This despite the fact that the Bush Administration has repeatedly said that there won't be a draft, and despite the fact that the only draft bill in Congress was sponsored by Democrats. Extremely dishonest tactics, but it's not like the GOP doesn't do the same thing. Unfortunately during the Q&A session, Dean announced that he had time for just 2 more questions when I was 3rd in line, so I didn't get to call him out on the mat for it.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

But at this point, the evidence that you can't trust the Bushies to tell the truth is massively overwhelming. How many troops will we need? Does Saddam have WMDs? Do we know where they are? What are the aluminum tubes for? Did Saddam try to buy yellowcake from Niger? Does Saddam have mobile biological weapons labs? Does he have unmanned drones? Did Atta meet with Iraqi agents? How will we be greeted in Iraq? Is Chalabi a suitable person to hand power to? Will our soldiers need body armor and armored Humvees?

Need I go on?

9. AbercrombieAnde

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    He wasnt the only person who thought so, need I go on?!?!

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: WMD's

Ah, then all those doubts that ppl have about the war will just go away. :rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe, ppl actually hold the president up to a higher standard. So yes, keep going on and spin away on the inordinate amount of deception...

11. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, you need to go on because you forgot to mention that Bush invaded before the inspectors had finished the job. Had Bush allowed the inspectors to complete the job (which by the way was the purpose of the resolution) we would of learned the truth. You remember the truth, right? That thing that will set you free. Let go off your blind devotion to that disingenuous argument that Saddam is connected to those that attacked us and let the truth that there were no WMD, no connection between Saddam and ObL, no plans for WMD, and therefore no threat to the US, metaphorically and literally set you free.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its good to see that our young voters are as hopelessly ill informed as our older ones.

I love America.

13. AbercrombieAnde

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    Where were you when he kicked the inspecters out and kept avading them? It was just a big game.

First of there was no mention of a connection by me. I just said that Bush wasnt the only one that believed that there was WMD. Where you come up with all this other stuff I posted here IDK. But thank you for tell me what I said bc I dont remember saying it

;)

14. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I said you forgot to mention all those other points. That means you didn't say them. The Duelfer report shows that the UN sanctions and inspections were working and that Saddam's WMD capabilities were steadily eroding to the point of being non-existant. This means that Bush's central (read: the first) reason for war w/ Iraq has been proven false. To read a point by point analysis of the report go to www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12115-2004Oct6.html. It is not a justification for war that other countries were also duped by poor, misleading intelligence.

15. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please explain.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AA...when did Saddam kick the inspectors out?

PAGING DAN LONEY!! DAN LONEY PLEASE PICK UP THE WHITE COURTESY PHONE!!

Kid, it's a trick question. But go ahead, answer it, you need the hidin'.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No candidate would favor reinstating the draft, let alone actually manage to get it on the table. And getting it passed... that would amount to political suicide for anyone most congressman who voted for it.

Im about as worried about a draft as I am of growing a third arm out of my forehead.

18. AbercrombieAnde

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY

Its easy to now the future once it happens

19. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    OK that's funny.

20. AbercrombieAnde

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    Leave the spelling alone
    You have to drink especially when SGR is taking the penalty
    :D

21. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    In all, perhaps too much, fairness, Bill Clinton said the same thing back in 2002, when he of all people should have known better. It was Clinton himself who told the inspectors to get out of the way, because he was about to launch Desert Fox. They did not return until December 2002, of course.