Youth Soccer Clubs - Stretching the Truth

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Feb 23, 2015.

1. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    Zero truth to this.

Of course the DA knows there are some good players who choose not to participate, or cannot participate, but that is not within their control. This is the decision of the player/family at the end of the day. The goal of the DA program is to create the best possible environment for player development using what they can control. This includes, but is not limited to, player ID. But this includes other standards for clubs (approved training plans, training-to-game ratio, education, facilities, etc.) as stated above. You're only looking at player ID in your evaluation of the program. Try to see the bigger picture.

Money is always an issue for youth soccer in America, can't argue that. But the DA does offer scholarship for travel and tuition fees to the tune of millions of dollars. Sadly its not enough. I am curious of your statement about the great lengths parents will go to ensure participation...in reality, the parent has no say as it is up to the club who does and does not participate. If your club is actually allowing wealthy parents to dictate it's decisions, I can guarantee you that this not a widespread issue. No one at Fire, Sockers, or SLSG has expressed similar opinions...maybe its time to find a new club?

luftmensch repped this.
  2. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fair enough, I guess some of my maybe misplaced concern was that the integrity and value of President Cup itself was being attacked, not to mention those clubs that appropriately and honestly compete at that level. The President’s Cup doesn’t in any way hide the fact that it is an alternative, 2nd tier competition to the State Cup…

The fact that some clubs try and hide that fact from its less uniformed members is disappointing and I can see as frustrating…

3. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    Name one Illinois club outside the Chicago area that could consistently (every year) provide an appropriate level of competition for the current DA clubs, that has an A-licensed technical director that could submit a proper annual plan, that has year-round access to approved facilities to provide the proper training-to-game ratio for all 10months of the season?

Considering level of play alone: Going back to State Cup/Presidents Cup/Mickey Mouse Cup or whatever event is considered high-quality...how many winning clubs in Illinois were from outside Chicagoland in the last cycle? Or the previous cycle? Or go back 3 years?? It doesn't make sense to expand in Illinois outside Chicagoland/St. Louis because thats where the consistent quality is. It's not fair, but its reality.

4. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's cost prohibitive, and yes, kids who have played competitive soccer will likely have the edge at U12, because they will have already had years of better coaching and higher level experience. I don't know what the solution to that is considering the American soccer market, because SOMEBODY has to pay for the coaches, refs, and club/league overhead. But like I said above, most good clubs have a scholarship option available for talented players whose parents can't afford it. Yeah, a lot of good players likely slip through the cracks or play other sports, but well...we live in a capitalistic society, why do you expect this sport to be any different?

And yes, DA clubs only compete against each other, by design. They limit the number of games played (usually no more than one a week or sometimes two, but never on the same day), and they only compete against other DA clubs because those are supposed to be the highest level of competition, who share the goal of player development. From U-14 down they don't keep standings, so the emphasis is not as exclusively on winning as in most leagues.

Then the only "tournaments" they compete in (though if you're right that may change) are DA showcases, where they play against DA teams from other regions. So a few weeks ago we played in our first one in southern California against SoCal teams, and then in June there will be a national one where we play teams from around the country. Between that and the DA league there just isn't time to play teams outside of the DA, nor is there any reason that I can see. The intent isn't to have something to prove about how good these teams are, it's on player development (though, yes, having that DA feather in a club's cap is a big attraction, our club's tryouts had more interest this past year now that it was a DA club).

mwulf67 and aDifferentPerspectiv repped this.
  5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    That's good to know. Now perhaps it would be wise for USYouth to allow s USClub to participate in State and National Championships?

6. intime

intime Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course parents influence coaches, whether as team managers, benefactors, or just via sheer persistence. But what happens when wealthy parents are the ones running an Academy club and directly influence who makes an Academy team? What happened at FCU was textbook nepotism; there's no question about it. I can only infer that USSDA did not intervene because they did not want to tarnish the reputation of the DA system, and because FCU is a well funded and organized club. However, the fact that USSDA allowed this to happen makes me wonder if it happens at other clubs.

I'm confident that the training is better at the Academy level. I agree with you on that point. However, player selection is a key aspect of player development. In my experience, there is a limited pool of players who are even considered for Academy. It's limited by who can afford travel soccer in the first place. It's limited, somewhat, to players already playing for a club with a DA team. And it is limited, to greater and lesser degrees, to players whose parents advocate strongly for them year after year. In my opinion, these limitations add up.

I love soccer. I love that it is becoming more and more popular. However, I would like to see more transparency across the board at every club. Clubs need to be honest with parents, and parents need to be better educated about how the system works. And when it comes to Academies, there needs to be a concerted effort to truly identify the best players and to have zero tolerance for corruption.

7. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seriously, how many times do we have to cover the some territory? I have stated multiple times that I 100% agree it is not feasible, nor I am remotely suggesting, that the DA system expands out of its current major markets at this time, or even in the foreseeable future…how many more times or in different ways do I need to say this?

I agree as a whole, there are NO downstate clubs that can compete with the top level, major market clubs like you find in Chicago and St. Louis, especially at the DA level (I mean like, obviously)…they simply do not have the player pool, concentration of talent, nor resources that are available to those larger market clubs…that is a reality I fully live with and accept…

I have simply stated/argued that they (downstate/smaller clubs) are not completely devoid of individual talent or teams that can play high-quality soccer…I have no idea why you take that as an affront to the DA system…

The President Cup has only been in existence since 2010…my downstate club has won it 5 times over that 6 year history (once on the girls side, 4x on the boys)…

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Not sure if there are any examples of clubs losing DA status but certainly one could argue that Chicago Magic came close. As far as I know they were on double secret probation ;) for a multitude of questionable issues.

Even outside of that - Magic was messing around and breaking rules - even at the lower league levels.

So that being the case, would USSDA rather lose a DA in the area altogether?

I honestly do not know.

9. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    Agreed.

Unfortunately your experience at FCU was/is not something the DA stands for. In this case, I feel more responsibility falls on the club to operate with integrity. Magic operated behind the back of the DA for years, and look where it got them. End of the day, it's difficult for the DA monitor all organizations at the level that (for some clubs) is required...understanding the club politics for all DA clubs would be impossible. What is clear is that there are 3 full DA clubs in Chicago, and they are all VERY different.

10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you say wealthy parents are running the club do you mean literally or figuratively? Because it's hard for me to imagine US Soccer approving a club with that kind of structure. I don't doubt that that kind of favoritism happens, after all these are human beings we're dealing with, but I really don't think it's that widespread, any club that allows lesser players on a team due to nepotism or any other reason is going to suffer for it on the field.

Well, yeah, but the same can be said for numerous other activities, athletic, academic, or otherwise. In general, kids with parents who support them financially and with their time are going to receive better opportunities. Soccer clubs do what they can to overcome these limitations (like the aforementioned scholarships), but overall the truth holds that Life Isn't Fair.

I don't think many would disagree with you, including DA administrators. Given the scrutiny participating clubs receive, I'd actually argue it's harder to get away with corruption and lack of transparency at that level.

11. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    FC Wisconsin is one example. The environment they were providing was to standard on-paper, but top players were leaving their organization every year to play in Chicagoland. This indicates some sort of issue with the everyday environment. In time, they could not consistently field teams that were level appropriate to provide meaningful games and they were removed from the league. It doesn't go to show that the level of individuals was not high enough, though. Based on current rosters, Fire has one top 2002 player from Madison area, FCU has a solid GK from Milwaukee area, and Sockers have 2 2004s, 2 2003s, and 1 2002 from north of the border.

The FCU-Magic merger started on the grassroots level, outside the DA. Magic ownership had their fun and wanted out, and FCU was a logical buyer being local and having the financial means. The reason why FCU was allowed to take over running Magic in the DA is the season (logistically) had already started when FCU bought the rights. There were already level-appropriate registered players and certified coaches, an annual plan, facilities, and schedule in place under the Magic organization. FCU was already admitted to the DA at the U12 level, and by applying for this level they had to pass the review board. So literally all pieces were already in-place before the merger even happened. On top of this, US Soccer knows Chicagoland needs at least 3 DA's to cater to the talent level.

12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I don't know if FC Milwaukee was up to the same tricks Magic was for years though.

13. intime

intime Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify, what are you saying there is "zero truth to"? Because I personally spoke with the Development Academy Manager at USSDA who told me that the reason FCU was taking over Magic Academy was because the Director of the Magic Academy did not have an A license. In addition, I have heard from more than one credible source that CT only has a D license, yet he is the Head Coach of an 02 Academy team at FCU. Seems like a double standard to me.

FCU took over the Magic Academy on short notice (and despite initial assurances to the contrary) because the President of FCU wanted to get his son and his son's teammates on Academy before the start of the season. The fact that USSDA would use BR's lack of an A license as an excuse for this was very telling. It was my conversation with the USSDA that convinced me that they knew what really happened and they chose to look the other way. Maybe behind the scenes they weren't happy with FCU, but they chose to condone FCU's decision to cut half a DA team without ever evaluating a single player in a game.

Where does USSDA draw the line if not here?

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I think there is a lot of blame to go FCU's way on this as well. How they apparently handled the new Fire kids was not appropriate at all. FCU has started out no different then Magic ended - with owners pushing DA for their own personal interests - at the exclusion of solid players who never got a shake.

intime repped this.
  15. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    True: CT's licensing level. Not sure what the club is telling you, but according to the DA, CT is an assistant coach for the 02's. Sounds again like either FCU is not being totally honest with you or the DA.

False: the reason for the takeover came down to licensing. MS has an A license and was (on paper) the technical director for Magic Academy on August 1. Real breakdown of the takeover stated above.

Either way, sounds like you're unhappy with your experience at FCU...consider other options.

16. intime

intime Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #216 intime, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    CT is the Head Coach of the 2002 Academy team. The plan was to bring over a group of his 02 players from the Fire as soon as FCU took control of Academy.

MS does have an A license. Regardless, USSDA told me that the fact that BR did not have an A license precipitated the takeover of the Magic Academy after the merger. I don't believe that was the REAL reason, but it’s the explanation USSDA gave to me and at least one other parent who also spoke directly with USSDA.

As you stated in a previous post, everything was already set in place for the year in terms of players, coaches, schedules, facilities, etc. So why the urgency, two weeks after the merger, for FCU to take control of the Magic Academy after we were initially told that it would remain under Magic control for the year?

On August 9, the Technical Director at FCU sent an email assuring parents that Magic Academy would "continue as a full member of the US Soccer Development Academy." Then, on August 25, FCU sent out an email announcing their takeover of the Magic Academy owing to "significant changes to the organizational structure at Magic.” What happened in those two weeks? What were the organizational changes? The only changes I am aware of was the decision to cut half the 02 team in order to add CT’s players from the Fire and to no longer practice at College of DuPage because the powers that be do not like to commute.

I lost respect for the USSDA when they allowed this to happen, and it definitely made me question the integrity of the Academy system because it happened while they were closely scrutinizing the merger/takeover of Magic. Reading in another thread that Magic was on secret probation for years, also makes me question the Academy system. How are parents to choose the right club if such sanctions or probations are secret? And where does USSDA draw the line?

17. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    Are you a parent or a coach? They aren't going to disclose all the details of this agreement with a parent...you got the run-around. Sorry.

Club decision. Not the DA.

Club decision. Not the DA.

You hold the DA accountable for all these decisions your club is making. Remember: the DA doesn't own the club, it doesn't run the club, it oversees the club to ensure that it is operating within the structure and philosophy of the league. The DA knows FCU is going thru a transition. The DA understands that these transitions don't happen overnight. The league sees the club is making changes and it will continue to be evaluated thru the end of the year. If at that point the club is not stabilizing or operating to standard, then the DA will make a decision on whether or not to continue. But here's the alternative: let's say the DA kicks Magic/FCU out of the league. Now all those players who are level-appropriate will not get the opportunity. All the games that were scheduled would not get played, meaning the rest of the division would get 2 less games. Is that what you want? Let's punish everyone who's not actually responsible, like the kids and all the other DA clubs. Makes sense.

Honestly, this whole discussion screams butthurt parent who's kid has been displaced because of the club's decisions and you want to blame something/someone. Why not blame the club? If you're dissatisfied, leave. Who's forcing you to be there? There are other DA clubs in the area, go experience one of those before you jam the whole system.

18. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #218 mwulf67, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Maybe if this was Communist Cuba or something…but here an ‘Merica we believe is competition and free markets…

But seriously, nothing stopping a club from being a member of both US Youth and US Club….many, many [Illinois] clubs do just that and participate in a mix of sanctioned leagues, tournaments and Cups between them…

If State or President Cup is so important to a club, it ain’t that hard to join IYSA and get teams qualified to play in them…

dehoff03 repped this.
  19. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    St Charles? Yeah, way to push those borders out…it’s still east of 47 and north of 88…isn’t Olympic Park is like a 30-40 minutes drive from St. Charles; not really that far….we got parents that drive twice that far to come out little club…

In any case, I am not criticizing the expansion; it’s all good…

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Okay - not to make you feel bad but I think it's quite telling that they are still selling Magic gear (stickers and such) on line - I swear I am pegged once a week from facebook with this.

Why would they do that?

Ahh Magic... If FCU is anything like them I would expect PLENTY of disgruntled DA parents.

21. intime

intime Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #221 intime, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Yes, I hold the DA accountable. When there is a great deal of evidence that a club is not operating within the structure and philosophy of the league, the DA should step in. Instead, the DA looked the other way. They were defending FCU for doing something FCU was not supposed to do. Yes, those decisions were made by FCU, but the DA knew about them. So it’s not a stretch to wonder if this happens at other Academy clubs.

FCU needed USSDA’s approval to take over the Magic Academy. The excuse regarding BR’s lack of an A license was how USSDA explained why they expedited the takeover. I never believed that was the real reason. Regardless, it’s hypocritical to cite licensing as such an important issue with Magic when at the same time an FCU Academy Coach with a D license is responsible for cutting half an Academy team. These cuts were not made over a period of weeks and weeks; they were made literally overnight: the day after FCU announced they were taking over Magic they sent out emails announcing the cuts. So, in my opinion, the real impetus for FCU to take over Magic when they did was to get a group of CT’s players on Academy before the start of the Fall season. And the DA knew this was happening, but decided not to do anything about it. How is any of this consistent with the philosophy of the Development Academy?

22. intime

intime Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully, we are not on that email list.

23. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Well yes you are - and you have many times thus far to the point where I have no idea what you're on about.

Sorry.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I am not sure if you got caught up in the Fire boys vs Magic boys melee but that's all on FCU - not the DA.

Unless you can prove that the DA had knowledge that - that mess was going to happen and was fine with it prior to FCU pulling the trigger.

25. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    Magic still operates on the local levels with teams in the YSSL and IWSL but they are an "affiliate" of FCU. Kinda like Trevian. Haven't heard much about what happened to the Magic City groups ran by JV...