Youth player at Bayern Munich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by rossgreen, Aug 3, 2006.

1. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the American youth player at FCB?

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Hmm, the grass is always greener on the other side it looks like. This kid plays for Bayern Munich and talks like he'd rather go to a US college than sign with them at 18.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people value education very highly. He might see some Euro numbers from German sides that make him re-think his position, but you can't fault a kid for wanting to go to college to get an education. Could be that his parents have told him from day one that he needs to go to college.

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounded more like the older brother that is talking about pursuing going to a US college. Here's his quote from the article. It sounds like a pretty realistic view and pretty mature for a high school kid.

“If you play with a youth club in Germany, they ask you to turn pro when you’re 17 or 18. If you get hurt at that time, it’s hard to come back,” Durr said in explaining why he’s not following the route most top-level German youngsters use to get to the pros. “If I go to college, I can get stronger and faster and have something to fall back on.”

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I took that to be Kevin's quote, not Stephan's. Vague, but the next sentance says his is also hoping for a call back the US national team camp, and Kevin is the one who was with the U15s.

When I read these comments, it's clear to me that the bigsoccer poster fantasy of MLS having youth development programs dismantle the college soccer system are dillutional. US kids and their families want to get a college education.

7. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DANKE..this is the article I was looking for...

I think this boy will be next USMNT player..he will play in the world cup soon!!!!!

by the way he played in Leverkusen youth club first..

so Leverkusen had already 4 american players: Kevin, Landon Donovan, Frankie Hejduk and Reyna:)....maybe we can get some new talents again!!...

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have question.

do someone of you guyes working for YANKS ABROAD follow Durr??

do someone make reports about him?

If no, maybe I can follow his career a bit...

Kevin Durr - I noticed this name already last year!

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And Jeff Cunningham, John Thorrington and Joey DiGiamarino... Also, didn't Dema Kovalenko play there, or at least get a trial?

I may have some other, older, names as well.

10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think Dema played at St. Pauli.

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    and i hope this remains true. the horrible truth about getting into the pro ranks early is that it can be cruel to the ones who don't make it big. and that's the majority.

this country is big enough to keep two pathways for players - the college pathway, and the pro pathway. those players and their parents who prefer the college pathway will take it, knowing all along the way that it limits their chances of ever making it big because they are not concentrating on soccer all day, all night like their pro counterparts. but that's okay if that's their choice.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cunningham just had a trial, didn't he? It was part of the Landon deal, that BL could pick an MLSer. And McBride's complementary abilities are/were so great, that he made Cunny look good enough for Leverkusen. Then they saw him up close, and it was all over.

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wow look like Bayer Leverkusen is very popular by american players. looks like many american players started their career in our club. Kevin Durr also played with us. Unfortunately I have never seen him in Leverkusen. Hm...Maybe Rudi Völler should buy some new talents for Leverkusen again!. I would love it.
    I could care of them:)

14. GaetjensGhost

GaetjensGhost New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    In the USA

Is that true?