You're not dead to me, Fredo: Morales at Dusseldorf

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview at SBI:

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/11/after...ales-hoping-for-usmnt-call-for-nations-league

Morales put in a strong shift in a defensive midfield role against Cologne, helping contain the visitors with his tenacious coverage of the middle of the field. He also contributed to the attack, drawing a penalty kick to set up his team’s opening goal.

“I thought he did well,” Steffen said of Morales. “He battled the entire game, like he always does. He’s really important for us. He brings the physicality, and the intensity, and he doesn’t stop running. I’m happy he’s back, and I know the whole team is happy.”

2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't his best game overall IMO... offensively, he missed several transition passes that could have led to scoring opportunities... but that run to draw the penalty was huge and he showed a piece of skill I didn't know he had. Defensively, he brings a lot to the table as he hustles around the pitch and sticks is nose into challenges. Ideally, he would be a backup CDM for Adams as I see him as a lesser version of Weston. Really hope he stays healthy and GB gives him a roster spot.

Maxvall and ChicagoVT repped this.
  3. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah had an ok game, but he brings a fire to his side that Trapp doesn't.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I suspect Trapp was just a placeholder for Mike, as in "look, Mike is better than Wil, so time to bench the latter and give Mike the starting slot, it's obvious he's the best we got!"

sXeWesley repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't even close... If GB brings Trapp back in over Morales it will be the definition of stubborn. The guy is even campaigning to be part of this Nations League squad. Morales is so much better than Trapp it borders on silly... and Morales is far from perfect. But you are spot on in that Morales has a spirit that GB should be promoting rather than ignoring.

ChicagoVT, taylor, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives also had this to say:

Magikfute, ChicagoVT, taylor and 8 others repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again...the kind if attitude this team needs. Furthermore, one has to think the rumbles about GBs roster choices is in fact widespread among the players.

ChicagoVT, chad, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    88 Bundesliga appearances (8 with Hertha in 11/12, 51 with Ingolstadt in 15/17, 29 so far with Fortuna in 18/20) yet only 14 caps with the USMNT.

It's a bit puzzling.

Magikfute, ChicagoVT, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't puzzling to me when you consider GB is the coach and favors MLS players... even when they consistently demonstrate they don't belong [see Trapp, Zardes and Lovitz]... It is a bit more difficult to understand before GBs reign. Perhaps it was due to Bradley being considered the veteran of the group and he plays the same primary position. But with the media attention that Fredo has drawn in this latest tweet I will be interested to see if GB is still stubborn in this regard. This guy deserves a spot on the squad.

10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morales isn't a ball progressor, he is limited toward goal, and he is not a sit at home defensive midfielder.

We have had more useful 8's. Now with the national team in a transition and him playing well, he should continue to get callups

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, it wasn't just Egg, but the coaches before him who ignored Fredo.

I agree with this. He's mainly a distributor and mobile guy to cover any holes left. We've seldom used the type, and our style requires either a stay-at-home pure DM with two CMs in front to do the distribution, or pulley CMs venturing forward by turns.

I can sort of understand why he has not got more caps with the NT. Still, there have been times (not just now) when he may have been an upgrade, given the chance.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's more of a direct replacement for Adams than anyone else, so he should be on the next roster at least. I'd also keep him around as a backup when (if) Adams comes back. He'd also be a useful sub to help kill games off.

Namdynamo, Flipstar508 and Gacm32 repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him as a McKennie back up. I would like to see Adams as the 6

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also like to see Adams at the 6. For me Morales is a 6 as well. He doesn't offer enough going forward to play as an 8.

KicksNgiggles and Dr.Phil repped this.
  15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    He can play a killer pass when the opportunity presents itself, and he’s actually much better technically and has much better touch than given credit for. I suggest USA fans watch him more carefully.

ChicagoVT, taylor, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many of us have watched him for years in the bundesliga and the national team back when he got caps. We know what he can do. How many career assists does he have?

Dr.Phil and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, he was never given much of a chance because he was behind Jones-Bradley. To break into the midfield he had to be better, not the same as those two. Morales was never tried at the 6. That was Beckerman's house. Morales was a better passer but it was JK's choice to always go with Beckerman.

18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK was also the one that played Morales as a LM in a 442

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  19. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Danny Williams as a RM

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK played him when either Jones wasn't in the roster or to replace him during garbage minutes. Morales did well in the Netherlands and Germany friendlies, won by the US.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Called into the November camp.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It was high time dang it.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No kidding. Guy hasn't seen a USMNT kit since... checks notes... September 2019! What was everyone sleeping on?!

superdave, Dr.Phil and gogorath repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't count friendlies, pal. No one does. Except for novice fans of the game.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "I was wrong" is a much easier post to make. :rolleyes:

superdave, Konut and gogorath repped this.