You're not dead to me, Fredo: Morales at Dusseldorf

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    There are threads for breaking down the USMNT player pool over in the USA mens forum...

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I saw about half of his starts and thought he was close to being MoTM in many of them before he was injured. I believe it was a loss against Augsburg and a tie against Hoffenheim where he was particularly outstanding.

Despite what many posters think, he is not a destroyer but rather a box-to-box with a lot of range and a good nose for attacking passes. Like McKennie, he can be a bit loose with some forward passes.

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will assume that most USMNT fans saw Adams debut v Morales with plenty of Yank v Yank violence!

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Know that I try my best to not interject my personal opinion to the player pool, although obviously there is some unavoidable bias. If it’s close, I’ll always try to give the benefit of the doubt to what the coach prefers.

I’ve always personally considered Morales superior to Trapp and I rate him over Bradley. I just couldn’t rate Morales over Trapp when Trapp was wearing the armband.

In the next list, I will probably downgrade Trapp because his stock obviously fell in the Gold Cup.

taylor and DHC1 repped this.
  5. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    and Fredo starts again, friendly match vs Eibar.

9. Maxvall

Maxvall Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Lima
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Winoman and Streaky Bacon repped this.
  10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1512 autobus39, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    In the starting lineup for Fortuna's first round German Cup match away to a fifth tier side. The game starts at 9:30 eastern.

During the 2018/2019 season he played 1,527 minutes in the Bundesliga (23 games, 16 starts). His stat line was 1 goal, 1 assist, and 6 yellow cards. Morales also played 187 minutes in the cup (3 games, 2 starts) picking up 2 yellow cards.

sakibomb523, BostonRed and Maxvall repped this.
  13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went 120 minutes as Fortuna won 3-1 in extra time. Villingen went down a man in the 104th minute with the score 2-1.

14. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KicksNgiggles and MtnGardener repped this.
  15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought Morales started bright winning a couple of balls and playing some decent forward passes. Was not as involved as the half went on. Dusseldorf are sitting deep and very much on the back foot though they lead 1-0 at the half.

UncagedGorilla, Deeneaus and largegarlic repped this.
  18. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I feel like this could be the summary of just about every time I've watched Morales in the Bundesliga. He's a hard player for me to evaluate, since it seems like his teams are usually getting outplayed and not getting on the ball very much.

UncagedGorilla, jnielsen and autobus39 repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think he's done a quite good job today covering holes and acting as support during recover. A very solid job in the second half.

Also, I must note I watched the first half in English, and they basically ignored Morales. Every time he had a solid play, they failed to mention him. Switched to the Spanish transmission at the half and in the second he got mentioned much more often.

20. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he got knocked out cold as a result of a clash of heads during the clearing a corner in stoppage time. He got up and is back on the field.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1521 autobus39, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    3-1 Dusseldorf FT

Morales had a really nice sequence around the 75th minute where flicked on a Steffen goal kick to Hennings a believe. Morales and Hennings play a give and go leading to a Dusseldorf chance. The ball is eventually recycled and finds Morales who hits a one time shot well but off target from the right side of the 18.

He seemed to cover a fair amount of ground today defensively. Looked like he played as more of an 8 moving side to side on defense as well as checking forward when Bremen where holding the ball deep.

On Bremen goal he did well to stop a counter. He then stepped in front of Steffen and played the ball wide to keep it from rolling out for a corner. The clearance went wide to Bremen player and was sent back into the box and finished.

Marius Tresor and Suyuntuy repped this.
  22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alfredo is not dead. I suppose he is hard to gauge because he has always played in bad teams. His game is being a pest in midfield.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    He looked quite useful to me.

DHC1 and Marius Tresor repped this.
  24. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked good out there today. For my money, our third best CM right now behind Adams and McKennie.

25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any followup to the head injury? do we need to change the thread title again?

Maxvall and Suyuntuy repped this.