Rumor: You're all idiots

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Jun 28, 2017.

1. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am not an idiot...How do I get out of this place????

Ch(Elsey) and Draghignazzo repped this.
  2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what an idiot would say.

Ch(Elsey) and west ham sandwich repped this.
  3. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I set the trap and you Sirrr...took the bait. hehe he he

chr1st repped this.
  4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey idiots!!!!

For what it's worth there were actually two decent articles in the Dispatch the past two days actually discussing what is wrong with the team instead of attacking the fans. None of it is next level soccer analysis, but it's better than the propaganda and insults that King and half the Massive Report crew spew at the fans...

Tom Reed had an article on whether we need to use the transfer window to find a replacement for Finlay during the transfer window:

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/2017...ons-to-make-about-ethan-finlay-and-right-wing

Arace had a piece questioning whether it's the system or the players that is the issue here:

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170706/michael-arace-personnel-or-system-crew-must-find-flaw

Ch(Elsey), ZipSix, porchlight and 2 others repped this.
  5. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I doubt those guys have seen the inside of a... oh wait, never mind.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    It's a shame Reed isn't the full time beat writer.

ZipSix, djtrinidad and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The best that the Dispatch had, by far.

And while he was a beat writer he also was talented enough as a writer to convert his opinions through his pieces. Sadly we have clowns like King and some others who are writing for Massive Report who are still learning how to write, and further behind on learning the actual sport. It's hopeless to expect decent content from them.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  8. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, the idea of converting Finlay to a box to box midfielder does not compute (for me).

His worst attributes are his ball control and passing. He needs space to run at (or behind) a defense.

zman31, porchlight, Aaron d and 2 others repped this.
  9. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The "Eintracht has historical problems with its defense (see: 1960 European Cup final)." quote from Arace is absolutely priceless.

10. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Reed. And Reed likes soccer. And I'd like if Reed covered soccer more (though Erickson has done a fine job). But talking about how a 4-2-3-1 doesn't work for Ethan because he'd be better in a 4-4-2 is silly.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, I don't see that happening. At all.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not try to convert Finlay to a right back?

ibrew repped this.
  13. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    If I remember correctly, Warzycha did give Finlay limited minutes at right back in his first season or two.

As for King's tweet that kicked this whole thing off, the ironic thing is that Pulisic is on the Allocation list, and we currently occupy the #1 spot in that order.

It's meaningless, but that's not my point.

So I guess I'd ask King which is more ridiculous: (A.) that a Crew fan can't understand why we haven't gone after Pulisic yet, or (B.) that MLS even bothers to include him in the Allocation List.

Yes, the former is laughable, but you're kidding yourself if you don't see the latter is embarrassing, too. At least (A.) is just a guy on an internet. (B.) is on company letterhead for crying out loud!

Ch(Elsey) and Tobias C repped this.
  14. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just gonna say that. I remember him playing Finlay there once or twice but can't remember how he did.

I imagine he would be serviceable like Jimenez with some games where he shines and others where we hes garbage. I highly doubt he could be the successor to Afful though.

15. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Gregg's system, it's not all that terrible of an idea.

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait... except for when we try to possess it out of the back, then you run into the same problem as converting him to a box to box type midfielder; ball control and passing are his weaknesses.

Draghignazzo and Aaron d repped this.
  17. thenewXB

thenewXB Member

May 23, 2013
    OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know that there is only one thing BigSoccer is truly good for.
    It's not soccer talk, its not in depth analysis, its not bitching about a team or coach, its not even good for spreading stupid rumors about signings.
    It's all about the sheep league, bitches!

18. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

Ch(Elsey), thenewXB and chr1st repped this.
  19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Shout out to Corporate Shill Andrew King for stepping out of his comfort zone, writing on Four Four Two and echoing some of the sentiments of many on this board for the past several months....

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...urce=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t

Gregg Berhalter, who sent Marshall to Seattle as one of his first moves at the helm of Columbus Crew SC, has been on both sides of the allocation-for-star-players discussion, and has been one of MLS’ most willing participants in big-money deals since his 2013 arrival.

His highest-profile move to date was one of the biggest trades in MLS history, when Berhalter sent star striker Kei Kamara to the New England Revolution for a reported $500,000 in General and Targeted Allocation Money in the spring of 2016 after the striker’s high-profile blow-up with Berhalter and teammate Federico Higuain.

Kamara has certainly not justified his price while in New England, but back in Columbus, few of Berhalter’s expensive moves since the trade have panned out, and the club has followed up a bottom-dwelling 2016 season with a mediocre start to 2017.

Ola Kamara has scored plenty of goals, but was on the team well before Kei Kamara was traded. So instead of a striker, Berhalter spent money on his defense, which has not improved at all.

Along with giving raises to stalwarts Wil Trapp and Justin Meram, Columbus used a Designated Player spot on defender Jonathan Mensah, who has been disappointing at best, and paid a transfer fee for midfielder Mohammed Abu, who has not looked like an MLS-quality player.

Likely with some of the remaining funds, Berhalter made his own allocation-money gambit. He paid $225,000 in Targeted Allocation Money and $75,000 in General Allocation Money (along with unsettled midfielder Tony Tchani) for the promising but mercurial Kekuta Manneh, who had just months left on his MLS contract.

Like his other allocation-related maneuvers, the purchase has not fared well for Berhalter thus far, but the Crew SC boss will hope that Manneh has turned a corner. The winger started his Columbus career openly frustrated with a lack of playing time, and had to wait nearly three months for his first goal and assist.

What an idiot....

Ch(Elsey) and Kyle Crew repped this.
  20. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just reading that made me sad. What is Berhalter doing?

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nothing constructive. He's in well over his head.

22. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That depends, on which person you are asking.

23. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $300k for Manneh means he thinks Manneh will stick around in MLS (or come back at some point).

Of the expiring contracts, I'd rather have Manneh's than Tchani's. We'll hold Manneh's rights at the end of this season. Tchani becomes a free agent after this season. But that alone isn't worth $300k (at least, not right now; given USMNT wing depth and Manneh's potential, this could be a great move going forward...there just isn't much to show for it right now).

24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Wait, what? Do you think Manneh is a future US national teamer? How about we let him win a starting job with his team first?