Your top 10 teams so far:

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Azzurri_in_U.S.A, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    A Ghana win, or indeed a Ghana meltdown, now requires you to beat the Czech Republic, if you want to avoid Brazil in the 2nd round. Also, in that case, a tie is neccesary to advance, or the same if the combined goal differential in a loss to CZE and a win by USA is 5. A win, maybe not neccesary...but if you think the US is the weakest team in the group, I'm not sure you can be happy with a tie.

While I have no respect for Italy, I am forced to root for your victory, because it is the only way the US can realitically advance unless it destroys Ghana, which is highly unlikely.

2. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    If Italy loses, to CZE, they have 4 points. CZE has 6 points. Ghana has 3 points, and USA 1 point before the outcome of their match - at best, Italy is looking at a tie for second, and a USA loss and you are out with your loss.

3. divinocodino1018

Oct 18, 2005
    Boston
    If I remembered correctly, the Americans on ABC continued to say that neither Italy or USA would be guaranteed a spot in the Round of 16 with any result prior to the game. They said if Italy won, "their foot would be in the door." Why don't you do your homework bud?

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    My fellow Italian fans, do you see the nonsense we have to put up with when we fail to put crappy sides like the USA away? It is unbelievable.

5. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA

Well, all we have to do is win the crown this year and they won't have anything on us.

In 1982 we tied ALL THREE games, and only went ahead on goal differential. This US game hasn't done anything to us. We can beat the Czech Republic and we can confidently and comfortably proceed to the next round.

If Italy wins the 2006 World Cup, - WHO CARES what these idiots say? It's a very real possibility, one tie with the USA doesn't change that.

6. speedynuggett

speedynuggett Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Berlin
    Or perhaps it implies that the US team had fewer players on the field than the Italians. :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks for that concession! And was it just a "stupid foul" or something else entirely?

Let me concede a couple things to you. I won't argue that Mastro's tackle was not a red. Sometimes it would've been called a yellow but a red was not unjust - he was over the ball and it was dangerous. Also, Beasley's goal should have been disallowed - McBride completely screened Buffon until the last moment.

But Pope's first yellow was a blatant foul by the Italian and the ref should not have sent him off. And to say that the Americans were diving hacks is just ignoring reality.

American fans may be a little naive, but I would rather naively support a side with tremendous heart than get all pissy when my cynical underachiveing side can't manage to beat them playing a man up.

That being said, forza Italia (for one game).