Your Squad Pick for Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hi All,
    So I know we have discussed our squads on different threads, but Euro 2016 is a year away, and I thought we should start a new thread and discuss what our squad picks for the Nazionale to take to France should be. So who would you take with you if you were the coach, and what starting squad do you think is the best? Also state why you want to take those players specifically, and also the formations you would use:

So I'll start by telling mine: I have really thought about this and went back and fourth on this for a lot of the time and closely watched the italian players so far from this season especially in the Serie A and will continue next season. As it stands now my pick for the starting squad would be this:

I think a 4-3-3 against Croatia worked really well for us, especially on the counterattack. We did have some injured key players and some were inexperienced so we lacked finishing qualities and it wasn't our best squad, but I think I would start like this:

-----------Giovinco---Gabbiadini---Berardi-------------
    ----------Marchisio-----Verratti-------De Rossi---------
    ----De Sciglio---Bonucci--------Chiellini---Darmian----
    ---------------------------Buffon--------------------------

Buffon: I am aware he is aging a little but keep in mind he is a goalkeeper so aging doesn't matter AS MUCH. Also after seeing some of the saves he made for Juventus especially in the champions league, and quite a bit of penalties as well, I still think he is still the best possibly in the world, and he makes unbelievable saves even at his age now. Sadly he isn't at his prime anymore, but I am not sure if we will find anyone like prime Buffon anytime soon. Also the other advantage is he is big and tall. Some of you might want to start Sirigu, and he is a player I would definitely take to France, but some of the goals he conceded this season did not impress me especially the goals Bulgaria scored against us, I think Buffon could have saved both of those. Sirigu would be by number 2 goalie.

Chiellini: I think I don't need an explanation, we all know he is one of the world's top defenders, and he performed amazing for Juventus this season. Although he sadly did miss the final through injury.

Bonucci: Bonucci has developed unbelievably this season and has been doing amazing for Juventus and even scoring the goals when he has opportunities. He is a little younger than Chiellini and has pace. I don't think I need to explain any more.

Darmian: Darmian has been the best italian full back in a decade since 2006. He has been impressive for Torino and for the Nazionale as well in qualification games. Also since Man Utd are buying him for next season, that gives another clue that he is amazing. I was very impressed with him.

De Sciglio: Although AC Milan didn't have a good season, I think he played well in his games, and did the best he could. He is a great full back and always has the intention to work hard and get the job done. When he plays for the Azzurri he always does well, and I think he is pretty much forgetting the bad season his club had and growing confidence, at least when he plays for Italy.

Verratti: Verratti has not been completely world class for Italy as he has for PSG but keep in mind he was never in his prime position when he played for us, which says something. Anyway for PSG honestly he has been their most important player. He holds the midfield together very well, and with only 10 men against Chelsea, he was able to keep up with the midfield against a team run by a great manager and never gave up. Although I don't think Verratti was part of the 2 goals PSG scored in the 2nd leg against Chelsea, but he was still the one creating most of the chances. He is a young player and still developing, but I think he will probably be the next Pirlo.

De Rossi: De Rossi is world class and is a great defensive midfielder. I haven't watched him as close for Roma as I have with Italy, but for Italy he definitely has been one of our best players during the qualification campaign especially against Norway and the first game against Croatia. I have heard he hasn't been as impressive for Roma but I know in the start of the season he had injury problems and is still recovering. Also since Roma isn't necessarily a world class team he had to hold the midfield together which he can do, but I think he is better on the sides bossing the midfield rather than holding it together. And since we have Pirlo and Verratti, De Rossi will be able to play his best position.

Marchisio: Now Marchisio also has been one of the most developed players this season. OMG in the champions league, he was everywhere and always working so hard and looking for the opportunities. I have full confidence that he will do amazing for Italy at the euros, and will be a very important key player. I think he is at the beginning of his prime now and will be at full prime by the time the tournament starts.

Berardi: Berardi hasn't made his debut for the NT yet, but he played in the U-21 championship and honestly I think Italy were very unlucky. Berardi especially was creating huge assists and even scoring goals. Also he had an amazing season at his club. One of the top scorers, and top assists at age 20. Do you know how good that is? He really has high potential and is very talented. Honestly when he is at his prime he might be the next Messi or maybe not that good but almost Messi's level. He also has pace which is something we needed for years.

Giovinco: When he started the season with Juventus, he had injury problems and was recovering from an injury and didn't shine too much, although did score good goals. But after he has moved to Toronto he is really fitting in well and is a beast. He is the second top scorer in MLS and one of the top assists as well. OMG he is world class in the games he played. Also I noticed that his best position is either attacking midfield or winger, rather than striker which is why he didn't shine as well for Juventus. Although he would have over time if he stayed. But I think he made the right choice to go to MLS and develop there. Also has a lot of pace which would work well with Berardi on the other wing.

Gabbiadini: In the past years after 2006, I have been a little disappointed with the strikers we produced, but I think Gabbiadini has got it at a young age and is our best option. He has skill and has showed it at Napoli. Even though Higuain scored more goals, most of them were against rubbish teams. Gabbiadini knew how to deal with the teams under pressure and I know he has great skills and tactics. He made his debut in our friendly we lost against Portugal, and when he came on he did great stuff, but unfortunately he didn't get enough playing time to really create much chances that counted leading to goals. Anyway overtime I am sure he will get experience playing for Italy and will adopt to our style and do well. I think he has talent ahead of him as well as high potential.

Other players I would take but not start:

Pirlo: aging but still good and would be a good sub for Verratti if he is tired or suspended, etc.
    Rugani: another young player with talent and high potential.
    Sirigu: second goalie choice.
    Candreva: has experience and is a great winger.

MAYBE: Valdifiori, Insigne, Parolo, and Florenzi. I haven't watched them too closely so I am not sure.

So anyway please state your opinions and what you think of mine?

2. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I came here to make this thread but I see you have done a great job with it! I agree with your formation... my question is can we have Candreva in there as well ? Can Berardi play on the left side? example formation:

---------------------Gabbiadini-----------------
    -----------Berardi-----------------Candreva-------------
    -----------------------Verratti-------------------------
    ----------Marchisio------------De Rossi---------
    ----De Sciglio---Bonucci--------Chiellini---Darmian----
    ---------------------------Buffon--------------------------

Either way, we need Berardi, Gabbiadini and Verratti to come into their won and become world class, maybe not by the Euro, this may be unrealistic with the time frame but they need to be on the trajectory to be world class by WC2018. Conte will really have to be on top of this progress for the NT and on their club teams, hopefully Berardi goes to JUVE asap and blows up on the big stage, including CL.

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Berardi can play left wing. Candreva is okay but I am not sure if I trust him 100%. He is kind of inconsistent. Giovinco is better trusted, and he is a beast for Toronto. Look up Giovinco's performances in MLS, OMG Giovinco is to MLS as Messi is to Barcelona. I trust Giovinco much more and I think his style and finishing is better than Candreva. Giovinco can adapt to different styles but Candreva is only good with one style. Candreva should still be there but maybe start on the bench.

We need a 23-men squad, so that means an A squad, B squad, and a third goalie. So the A squad is what I put above, and here is the B squad I'd take:

------Insigne-----El Sharaawy/Zaza------Candreva--------
    ----------Florenzi---------Pirlo-----Giacherinni/Sturaro----
    ---Maggio-------Rugani---------Barzagli-----De Silvestri---
    ----------------------------Sirigu------------------------------

I'm stuck between either Giacherinni or Sturaro, and El Sharaawy or Zaza. Giacherinni is more experienced and played well in Norway 0-2 Italy and our first friendly with Netherlands so I think he is a safer bet. Although Sturaro has high potential, euro 2016 is a little too soon for him to shine.

El Sharaawy vs Zaza: I am really stuck on that. Both are very inconsistent. I see reasons for both of them and against both of them. Honestly I can't choose, someone please choose which one for me. This is really tricky. I have been impressed with both at sometimes but both have let me down a lot other times. Anyway it shouldn't matter too much because they are our B strikers. Quagliarella would probably be better than the two of them but by Euro 2016 I think he will be kind of aged.

Also for third goalie I'd probably say either Marchetti or Padelli.

4. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Candreva is an odd beast. He is MotM in every Italy match where he plays in his natural position and was one of the 2-3 most important players on a Lazio side that finished third in the league, yet no one seems to like him.

If you want to play Giovinco, I think he would fit best in a 4-3--1-2 as the trequartista, rather than forcing him onto the left flank. That said, his performance in a dreadful league is not a reason to take him.

DSG cannot play on the left. People keep forcing him there and he is dreadful at it. Darmian is much better there.

DDR is past it, I think.

I would like to see

Gabbiadini Berardi (false 9) Candreva
    Verratti Marchisio Soriano
    Darmian Bonucci Rugani Florenzi
    Buffon

Rosay repped this.
  5. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    De Rossi world class? Look, i'm a big DDR fan and i sport his jersey regularly but he's far from world class and well past what he used to be. He's still a great player and worthy of a spot on the team but he's quickly moving from starting 11 to bench status.

calabrese8 repped this.
  6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For Roma he might be passed it a little but not for Italy. Also just remember because Roma don't have a lot of options he is forced to play central midfield which isn't his best position. He is more of a midfield bosser on the left or right. If you see him in that position he will look great. I think DDR is quite underrated and should be recognized more.

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you saying MLS is a dreadful league??? What about this: New York Red Bulls 4-2 Chelsea. I know its a friendly and both B teams but still says something. MLS is a better league than quite a bit of the european ones actually. MLS is comparable with the Portoguese League or Ligue 1. Giovinco is really on fire. Giovinco plays in the left wing there so I think thats his best position. Also when played for Italy in the qualification matches, he assisted goals and was a great assister.

Really DSG can't play on the left? What about switching Darmian and De Sciglio, can he play on the right? What is his prime position even? Also isn't Florenzi a midfielder or winger?

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like Candreva and he deserves to be on the NT, but when we played against Bulgaria and against Azerbaijan and Malta, I didn't see him at all there, meaning he did nothing. Also I question his attitude sometimes, because he can be a bit lazy. Don't get me wrong I like him and he deserves a place but in the starting squad? Hmm I might have to question that. Also Giovinco will fit in well with Berardi on the wings because they are similar types of players. Giovinco just impresses me with great goals and amazing assists, so really we at least must try him and see how he does.

9. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dreadful than most....the Mexican league is better than the MLS

Says nothing

which ones specifically....even many of the eastern european leagues are considered better than the MLS, especially the Russian

MLS doesn't hold a candle to those leagues

In the MLS he is...never on fire really for the Azzurri except for a few notable performances.....never on fire in Serie A except with Parma perhaps

sporadically.....playing in the MLS won't help him get called for the Azzurri and I think he knows full well....he gets paid well over there though

this has been established many times

10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I like the line-ups posted here.

I believe that Giovinco should be given a chance, because he is definitely better than duds like Zaza, Immobile, and Pelle.

At this point, Berardi and Gabbiadini should be tried as starters. Additionally, Sarri has Insigne playing at trequartista, and I feel like he has the skills to do really well there.

If Insigne really lights up this position this season, then he should be played at the tre. Conte also has said that he wanted to try out Insigne at that position, given the lack of quality Italy has at the moment.

However, Insigne, Berardi, and Gabbiadini (with Giovinco and Rossi as back-up), and Italy would have enough quality to do well. The question that remains is that all of them really need to play up to their potential this season -- to really have break-out seasons.

11. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Candreva is quality, Gabbiadini deserves more playing time on Gli Azzurri, and Darmian should be on the left with either MDS or Florenzi on the right side of defence

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I think we all agree on the squad for euro 2016 and formation. The debate is really about who should start.

1. Buffon
    2. Sirigu
    3. Padelli
    4. Chiellini
    5. Bonucci
    6. Barzagli
    7. Rugani
    8. Darmian
    9. De Sciglio
    10. Florenzi
    11. De Silvestri
    12. Verratti
    13. Pirlo
    14. De Rossi
    15. Marchisio
    16. Sturaro
    17. Giacherinni
    18. Berardi
    19. Giovinco
    20. Insigne
    21. Candreva
    22. Gabbiadini
    23. G. Rossi

I think we have concluded this is the right 23-men squad to take to france and use a 4-3-3 formation. All Agree?

13. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Put in Perin for Padelli, Bertolacci for Sturaro, and Montolivo for whoever you want. I guarantee Monty is gona be there

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe for Giacherinni

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Team A:

-Giovinco---Gabbiadini---Berardi---
    ---Marchisio--Verratti--De Rossi----
    -Darmian-------------------De Sciglio-
    --------Bonucci---------Chiellini-------
    ------------------Buffon-----------------

Team B:

----Insigne---G. Rossi---Candreva----
    --Bertolacci-----Pirlo-----Montolivo---
    -De Silvestri-----------------Florenzi----
    ---------Rugani--------Barzagli---------
    ------------------Sirigu-------------------

Third Goalie: Perin.

16. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

17. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Rossi starts if healthy, but he won't be.

18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I loved G. Rossi when he was at his best, but I am afraid to say his injury kind of ruined it a bit but also it made him more in decline a bit. But I still think G. Rossi is a great player and world class and deserves to be on the squad. Maybe start Gabbiadini because we want to develop the young players into the NT.

annoyingracoon01 repped this.
  19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

20. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I can't see the 4-3-3 lasting too long. Don't think I've ever seen an Italian senior team play it well. Ends up with players all isolated and we don't produce those 'total football' Dutch/Spanish style players.

I'd pick something like this:

Insigne/Gabbiadini -- Berardi/Zaza
    Marchisio/Candreva
    Verratti -- DDR -- Montolivo/Bertolacci ​

Darmian and DSG can produce the width while DDR supports the defense to cover for them.

Question is can Marchisio play in the hole. He's really come on the last couple years (technique, vision) and might just be the player to make it all work.

21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well if we play a 4-3-1-2 this would be better:

Gabbiadini-Berardi
    Giovinco
    Marchisio-Verratti-De Rossi
    Darmian-Bonucci-Chiellini-De Sciglio
    Buffon

Marchisio is not the best in AM, and we tried Candreva in that position and he was horrible. Giovinco is really good in AM though. Insigne won't do too well as striker. Zaza? He shouldn't even be at the euros, he is too inconsistent and only proved himself by one goal in the whole euro 2016 qualification so far. Also I think he is kind of a selfish striker as well. With forwards stick to: Berardi, Gabbiadini, Insigne, Giovinco, G. Rossi, and Candreva.

22. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    In the other thread (2018 World Cup Qualification) I kept thinking it was about this ECQ campaign. So the Giovinco-Gabbiadini-Berardi trident would take even more guts on Conte's part. I say Berardi starts seeing minutes for Gli Azzurri in the fall of 2016 for the WCQ. I doubt Conte plays him until then. And Giovinco might not be taken seriously because he's in the MLS. I would love to see that trident as early as next game personally. We've seen enough of the Zaza/Immobile, Pelle/Immobile pairings. Gabbiadini/Immobile could be good though.

23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I totally agree:

Immobile, Zaza, and Pelle don't even deserve to be on the bench. Immobile is rubbish, Zaza doesn't perform in important games. Pelle only shines against rubbish teams.

Giovinco-Gabbiadini-Berardi is something we must try. I am positive it will turn out great.

So I updated the squads and here is what I would pick now:

Team A:

----------Giovinco---Gabbiadini----Berardi----------
    ---------Marchisio------Pirlo--------Verratti----------
    --Darmian------Bonucci----Chiellini-------Maggio--
    -------------------------Buffon-------------------------

Team B: (Bench Team)

-----------Insigne--------ST------Candreva---------
    ----------Florenzi----De Rossi----Montolivo--------
    --De Silvestri----Rugani----Barzagli----De Sciglio--
    -------------------------Sirigu-------------------------

The ST is depending on the circumstances at that time, one of: Di Natale, Gilardino, Quagliarella, G. Rossi, Toni, or Belotti.

Third Goalie: Perin

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Conte loves Giovinco, I am sure he will take him when possible. I also think Berardi has impressed so much, and will go as well.

25. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I've really had enough of these "two No. 9's" parings. It almost never works. Even Prandelli was doing it for some stupid reason. Though Gabiadini is more of a hybrid so in his case it might work out, or else just play Insigne, Giovinco, even the Brazillian kid, with the No.9.

Deleted User x and Rosay repped this.