Your preffered and Trap's likely squads

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Bucky-O'Hare, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Well now that we're officially qualified the speculation as to who we bring with us can begin. Realistically there is probably only a few squad places up for grabs as Trap will no doubt be loyal to the boys who got us there. But there are players who many would like to see go to the Euro's who in all likliehood won't be chosen. So I invite you to put up both the squad you would like to see and the squad you think the Italian Stallion will pick.

My preffered squad:

Goalkeepers:
    Given, Westwood, Forde

Defenders:
    Dunne, O'Shea, Coleman, Wilson, Clarke, Ward, St. Ledger, O'Dea

Midfielders:
    Houlihan, Whelan, McGeady, Duff, McCarthy, Hunt, Gibson, Fahey,

Strikers:
    Keane, Long, Walters, Best

The more likely squad:

Goalkeepers:
    Given, Westwood, Forde

Defenders:
    Dunne, O'Shea, St. Ledger, Ward, Kelly, O'Dea, Delaney, Coleman

Midfielders:
    Whelan, Andrews, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey, McCarthy, Treacy

Strikers:
    Keane, Long, Doyle, Cox

2. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No Doyle in your squad??

3. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    On current form I would take Walters instead for his all round game in terms of both mixing it and scoring goals. Doyle can do that to, just not as well as Walters in my opinion.

Again in terms of current form I would take Best because he's finding the net a lot lately. Though if was to lose his place for Newcastle or stop scoring I would take Doyle.

Long is a no brainer. In my opinion the best Irish player currently.

Keane scores goals for Ireland. Simple.

Though Doyle will certainly be on the plane I am still happy as he's a good player.

4. LuckyDay

LuckyDay New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Doyle has to go for his workrate, ability to hold up the ball and his partnership with Keane.

5. davegaasports

davegaasports New Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the strikers trap will bring at Keane Doyle Long and Cox. I would have Keane, Doyle, Long and Walters.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I think Walters will go ahead of Simon Cox. He has been extremely effective in the time he has received and offers something different (a physical presence) up top.

This James McClean should be considered if he keeps playing well for Sunderland.

Shane Duffy should be considered if he keeps getting starts for Everton. 6'4" Centerbacks dont grow on trees.

Stephen Kelly HAS to go. How many fullbacks do we have starting in the Premier League?

Darron Gibson will be in the squad. I believe Trap had alot to do with him moving to Everton to increase his PT.

Ciaran Clark will also go if he keeps playing for Villa.

I'd like to see Anthony Pilkington and Wes Hoolahan called into a friendly as well.

I think its funny that Forward is the toughest position to make. Keane is really the only lock. Doyle, Cox, Walters, Best all have a fight on their hands and thats without even considering Anthony Stokes who never gets a chance despite scoring loads of goals in Scotland.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16555513.stm

This is really f-u-c-k-i-n-g stupid. We should take some good young players so they have top level experience for the future. Guys like McClean and Shane Duffy should 100% be on the squad if they are performing for EPL teams. Why would we bring a bunch of older guys playing in the Championship!?!?!?!?!

8. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Almost certainly, the squad will be 23 of these 24: (Squad for CZE friendly at the end of the month)

Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Aston Villa), Keiren Westwood (Sunderland), David Forde (Millwall).

Defenders: John O'Shea (Sunderland), Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Stephen Ward (Wolves), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Sean St Ledger (Leicester City), Darren O'Dea (Leeds United).

Midfielders: Kevin Foley (Wolves), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), James McCarthy (Wigan Athletic), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Keith Andrews (West Brom), Keith Fahey (Birmingham City), Darron Gibson (Everton), Damien Duff (Fulham), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow), Stephen Hunt (Wolves).

Forwards: Robbie Keane (Aston Villa), Kevin Doyle (Wolves), Shane Long (West Brom), Simon Cox (West Brom), Jon Walters (Stoke City).

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    McClean continues to play well......

10. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Shane Duffy called up to replace Richard Dunne. Will be interesting to see if he gets a half of the game to look at him.

McClean like others is depending on injuries at this stage. Some managers pick their team on form but not Trap. He never has.

11. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    McLean and Paul Green called up, despite no withdrawals due to injury. Shows that they are indeed being considered.

Looks like the likes of Lawrence and McShane will not be on the plane to Poland.

12. essie

essie Member

May 4, 2007
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank god for that