Your Post-Confederations Cup Squad

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Canadian Azzurri, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know, I know, the tournament isn't over, we can still go through, etc. That doesn't change the fact that this squad needs a fair amount of turnover, as many of our 06 champions are showing signs of serious decline (and then there are some that simply aren't good enough).

So if you were selecting a 23 man squad for our next qualifier, say, who would it include? Keep in mind, a fair number of the U-21 setup will have 'graduated' and will be 'free' for selection.

Goalkeepers

Buffon
    Marchetti
    Amelia

-Amelia had that bad game, yeah, but I think he's still worthy of a call...maybe Abbiati instead. Curci, Consigli, etc.

Defenders

Cannavaro
    Chiellini
    Gamberini
    ????

-Honestly, no idea where the centrebacks are at. Cannavaro is old of course, but he can still play a bit. That and the fact that no one has really stepped up means he's still in the squad.
    -Options for that 4th spot are really all over the place. Bring Barzagli back? One of the U21 guys Andreolli/Bocchetti? Santacroce? Ferrari? I don't know. Impossible to call Legrottaglie and therefore 3 Juve CBs, he won't be playing regularly.

Fullbacks

Motta
    Santon
    Criscito
    Zambrotta/Grosso

-What Italy lacks in wingers, they make up for in attacking fullbacks. When those players can't run, sprint and bust a lung for 90 minutes providing width, the attack suffers (as does recovery when the ball is lost). I believe Zambrotta has lost more, but either way I'd like to see those three youngins in the squad.
    -Dossena lol

Midfield

De Rossi
    Pirlo
    D'Agostino/Cigarini
    Palombo/Brighi/Marchisio/Gattuso (?)
    Aquilani/Montolivo
    Foggia

-Tons of options here. De Rossi and Pirlo are locks, and I'd take Foggia for sure as well, as we don't really have any other wingers (maybe Maggio, but I don't know if I like him in a non 3-5-2 yet). Camoranesi I don't trust anymore, I think he's done. Pepe I think can be useful, but not at the expense of someone like Foggia.
    -Either D'Agostino or Cigarini for a Pirlo backup. D'Agostino had a great year last season and is surely the frontrunner, but Cigarini is having a great U21 and has much potential as well.
    -The other two debates are over ballwinners and the technical CMs/AMs. Gattuso is a question mark with his fitness. He had a great start to the season last year, but another year, a big injury...who knows. I like the other three, but I especially like Brighi, as he can play in a few roles.
    -Montolivo has looked better the last two games, and I think Aquilani can contribute a lot if he ever gets healthy (a big if). So for the time being, Montolivo.
    -I'd take 7 in midfield , so maybe another Palombo/Marchisio, both Aquilani/Montolivo, etc.

Strikers

Cassano
    Rossi
    Pazzini
    Gilardino
    Iaquinta

-Honestly.....not much here. Cassano won't be chosen, I know, but this is my team, dammit. Giovinco is a possibility here as well, depending on his playing time for Juventus this season.
    -Toni...meh.
    -Quagliarella is okay....I still have no freaking clue what position he is though. He'd probably do better as a #9 in a side that isn't always whipping crosses into the box, and playing on the floor (something we could do with some creative attackers).
    -Maybe Borriello or someone like Floccari has a nice season and can shake up the #9s. Heck, even Acquafresca, 14 goals last season, good movement, etc.
    -Then, there's the ultimate wildcard: Balotelli. This guy...all you need to know about him is in that Sweden game. Fantastic goal, linked up well, physically above most, and then a stupid , stupid play. I realize it wasn't worthy of a sending off, but the fact that he even gave the referee that option is frustrating. If he gets his goddam head on straight he would bring some dynamicism to the #9 spot.

Thoughts, comments, etc., I'm going to ice my cramped wrists for the time being. This has been therapeutic though.

2. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Keepers:

Buffon
    Amelia
    Curci

Defenders:

Cannavaro
    Gamberini
    Andreolli
    Motta
    Grosso
    Santon
    Chiellini
    Zambrotta

Midfield:

Brighi
    De Rossi
    Montolivo
    Pirlo
    Palombo
    Foggia

Strikers:

Cassano
    Rossi
    Pazzini
    Gilardino
    Quagliarella
    Acquafresca

I know, I'm being somewhat ambitious by throwing in so many young names here, but I honestly don't care. Right now we have such a talented crop of players in their early-mid 20's that need to be given the opporunity to show what they can do at the senior level. Our backline in particular is absolutely loaded with so many talented youngsters that not even Lippi was able to overlook guys like Bochetti, Motta, and Santon in the friendly against Northern Ireland a few weeks ago. Guys like Di Silvestri, Criscito, and Santacroce will also only continue to make their mark as we go into next season.

3. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'd like your list a lot, but I would add Balotelli to it. After this U-21 tournament we might as well start integrating him into the squad. He doesn't have to play often but start bringing him into the fold.

I would also being to phase out Canavarro and Zambrotta. I'm curious to see how they hold their own tonight, before making my final judgement. However in my opinion they are both past their prime and should consider stepping aside to someone that might be a little hungrier at the next World Cup.

I would also remove one of Brighi and Palombo to make room for D'Agostino, who in my opinion could do big things in the coming season.

4. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Take out Gilardino and put in Balotelli. What's better than having a little Africa on our side when playing there? :D

5. Aranycsapat

Aranycsapat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Padova, Italy
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know if Abbiati would accept a call up, I remember he stated that if he has to sit on the stands (so be the 3rd keeper) he would prefer stay home and train in Milanello for his club.

6. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Cassano, G. Rossi, Foggia, Balotelli, Giovinco, Aquafresca need to be there. All of them are better than Gilardino, Toni, Iaquinta, Pepe, the present version of Camoranesi ----- no matter how you look at it.

Man -- Italy can have such a good team.

7. secretariat89

secretariat89 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portsmouth, NH
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where's Aquilani on that list??

Trust me that Pepe is gonna get called because he is the best right winger with a blood of Italian. Foggia might too, to play the opposite side at the wing.

Someone explain to me why aren't we through to the quarterfinals but US is? We have the same amount of point (3), GD (-2), most importantly we won against them.

8. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Goals for.

9. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Aquilani needs to show that he can at least stay HEALTHY long enough to merit a spot on this squad. This season was absolutely damaging to his chances at getting back into the senior side, and he's really gonna have to have a career year next season with Roma if he hopes to get back into the mix as a regular.

Secondly, if Pepe is the "best right winger" that we have then we truly are in trouble. I'd much rather go with Foggia on the right side or even try out Maggio instead of having to see that lump of crap that can't even crack the starting 11 with Udine.

10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Balotelli has the talent to make it, but as we all know that attitude of his will only make the senior a dream that is well out of reach as long as Lippi is at the helm. If Lippi is weary of taking someone like Cassano out of fear that he might affect the serenity of the group, then we can only imagine how he feels about a younger loose cannon like Balotelli.

I personally think that Cannavaro and Zambrotta can still be of use to this squad, but mainly in a substitute role where they'd see limited playing time, provide some great depth, and add some much needed experience and leadership. Also keep in mind that Zambrotta can play on both sides of the backline equally as well, plus he could be placed in an advanced role on the wings in the midfield if need be.

Finally, I wanted both Brighi and Palombo there to provide some balance and stability to the midfield in terms of the defensive aspects. Both players are absolute work-horses and are defensively solid, yet they can both provide and added touch of skill if needed. Besides, we already got some great attacking skill in the form of Foggia, Pirlo, Montolivo, and to an extend De Rossi coming from the midfield. Also, there's still always hope that Giovinco and Aquilani can squeek themselves into the equation as well. I personally don't mind D'Agostino, but at the same time I'm still not completely sold on him either.

11. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Buffon
    Motta - CB - Chielinni - Grosso
    Pirlo -De Rossi - Aquilani
    Rossi
    Balotelli - Cassano​

12. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ---------------------BUFFON-------------------------
    ---MOTTA---NEW CB---CHIELLINI---SANTON----
    ------------DEF MID----------PIRLO------------
    ----ROSSI----------DE ROSSI-----CASSANO-----------
    --------------------STRIKER--------------------

New CB Options:
    1. Nicola Legrottaglie/Alessandro Gamberini - they both seem equal to me in terms of capability, but neither have had many appearances in the Azzurri shirt to give them a strong representation. I'd really rather not have either as a starter, but both are capable back-ups.
    2. Fabio Cannavaro - If it were up to me, his time on the Azzurri would be done. His is past it, and we have all seen it from his last two seasons at Madrid but only few of us can admit it...
    3. Salvatore Bocchetti/Marco Andreolli - To me, I would come with a new look Azzurri and start one of these kids, most likely Bocchetti.
    4. Andrea Barzagli - I know this guy has not gained too many fans in Italy but he played every single minute of every single game in Wolfsburg's championship season. This is surely a fact which should call Lippi's attention to him for possible consideration (at least as a substitute).

Defensive Midfielder Options:
    1. Gennaro Gattuso - Like Cannavaro, I think Gattuso might be past it. Only if he had an outstanding 2009/2010 season should be our starting defensive midfielder.
    2. Angelo Palombo/Antonio Nocerino - Like Legro and Gamberini, Palombo and Nocerino haven't shown me enough at the senior level to prove he either are starting quality. Though they seem to be capable back-up options in my eyes.
    3. Claudio Marchisio - A mainstay in the U21 and a starter for Juventus, Marchisio seems to be able to take over Gattuso's spot by the time WC 2010 comes along or at least be the substitute in the DM position.

Striker Options:
    1. Alberto Gilardino/Vincenzo Iaquinta/Fabio Quagliarella - These are very solid forwards but to me, they should be substitutes as they are not strong enough to lead the Azzurri attack.
    2. Luca Toni/Antonio Di Natale - Both players should no longer be considered for the Azzurri, even as a substitute IMO.
    3. Mario Balotelli/Robert Acquafresca - Time will only tell if they can fulfill their potential but these guys should definitely be considered. Boy, does Italy have problems in the forward department. After Baggio dazzled us, Vieri gave us excitement. Soon after it was Toni. Who will emerge as the next best Italian striker?

13. TFC17

TFC17 Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Toldo
    Zambrotta - Cannavaro - Materazzi - Grosso
    Gattuso - Pirlo - Ambrosini
    Inzaghi - Del Piero
    Toni

Just kidding..

I wanna see some youth in the sqaud

Buffon
    Motta - Canna? - Chiellini - Grosso
    Brighi - Pirlo - De Rossi
    Cassano
    Balotelli - Rossi​

14. 1989

1989 New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano

that'd be decent, id switch grosso with santon and aquilani with giovinco and BOOM WC2010 is in our hands

15. interglory

interglory Red Card

Mar 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    buffon
    motta barzagli chiellini santon
    montolivo pirlo de rossii
    rossi
    aqua/quagr cassano

16. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrLm2kqxIXI"]YouTube - Antonio Cassano - Interiors - Esoesgallo[/ame]

and possible gio

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-V5xuEjSmY"]YouTube - Giovinco Summer-Fall 2008 - Festa Mesta - Esoesgallo[/ame]

17. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think that midfield would end up getting over run like last nights. If we are going to play Pirlo in a 3 man midfield we need to put him in the middle. He goes there anyway and always bumps into De Rossi on his way there. Then flank him with two fighters that will defend a lot. Basically

De Rossi - Pirlo - Brighi/Palombo/Aquilani/ or who ever.

I kind of think Pirlo is a hinderance to our midfield right now

18. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The De Rossi Dilemma:

Let me first preface this post with a disclaimer: I absolutely love Daniele De Rossi; he is probably one of my favorite Azzurri members and should be a starter on this team. Future captain of the Azzurri IMO.

Now, when I was thinking of a new formation for Italia to play (I came up with the one posted above but I'm still not enamored with it), I noticed a glaring dilemma in our midfield. However, let's not forget that I know our defense is problematic as well as our forwards unit. However, this post is taking aim at our midfield.

When I think of making up Italy's current midfield selection, I immediately place De Rossi in the lineup before anyone else. The problem with this is that De Rossi is not a trequarista, not a winger and, IMO, not a true defensive midfielder. Yes, he shares some qualities of a DM, but to me, De Rossi can offer much, much more. During the 2nd half of the US-Italy game, De Rossi came to life when he pushed up the field and assumed the role of a box-to-box midfielder. When he is confined to protecting our two CBs, I feel we are wasting half his talents. Also, it seems having De Rossi as the lone DM does not seem to be sufficient IMO in terms of disrupting the opposition and controlling the midfield.

Now, with De Rossi, a central midfielder, added to the lineup, we have not added a DM, a trequarista or regista nor a winger yet. That leaves us with requiring a true destroyer type (i.e., former Gattuso) and a trequarista or regista (i.e., Pirlo or Cassano). With those three players alone, we have formed a three-man midfield which either requires the DM and De Rossi to go out wide at times (which stretches them and fatigues them, which is exactly what happaned in this tournament) or we play with a compact midfield which lacks width because we have no wingers.

There are two solutions I see to this:
    (1) Play with those three and a five-man midfield (4-5-1) with those three CMs above and a RWM and LWM. The only problem is Italy has a dearth of wingers. The only players I can think of are Camoranesi (who looks to be done soon), Foggia and maybe Brighi. With this formation, however, a second striker like Cassano or Rossi would be left out of the starting lineup. I think playing either of them as a RWM or LWM is wasteful.
    (2) We can scrap playing Pirlo (at least as a starter), play De Rossi and the DM as the CMs. Then play Foggia and another wide midfielder as the RMs and LMs. Then we can play Rossi/Cassano with a strong central forward. To me, this would be closely resembling the 06 lineup where we played Camo, Gattuso, Pirlo and Perrotta with Totti and Toni above them.

Option #1:
    ---------------------BUFFON-------------------------
    ------------DEF MID----------PIRLO------------
    ----ROSSI----------DE ROSSI-----CASSANO-----------

Option #2:
    ---------------------BUFFON-------------------
    --RIGHT MID--DEF MID--DE ROSSI---FOGGIA-----
    ----------------CASSANO/ROSSI----------------

To me, either option is much, much better than the 4-3-3. Either option provides much more balance as well as creativity.

19. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Davey we think alike except I call it the Pirlo dilemma :D

Buffon
    Motta - CB - ?Chiellini? - Santon/Grosso
    DM - De Rossi
    Camo/Peppe -------------------- Foggia
    Rossi
    Balotelli​

I wouldn't mind going into a couple of qualifiers like this.

20. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Haha good call Mike. To me, the 4-4-1-1 (4-4-2) is a very balanced formation which can help bring back some stability, as well as creativity, to our side. Lippi should look into this formation ASAP.

21. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    yeah i've said before the best performance I've seen from the azzurri in recent years in a competitive fixture was the scotland qualifier in bari when it was:

----De Rossi--Gatusso

Toni actually scored twice in that game can you believe it.

22. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    System:
    4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 (yes the Ancelotti Xmas tree...)

The 22 (hopefully someone new will come out and make this list better)

Goalkeepers (3):
    Buffon and 2 more (does it matter who? Sadly, it doesn't as they are all average)

Defenders (7):
    Chiellini, Gamberini, Santon, Motta, Grosso, Zambrotta?, New CB.

Midfielders (7):
    Pirlo, DeRossi, Aquilani, Montolivo, Camoranesi, Gattuso?, D'Agostino

Forwards (5):
    Rossi, Gilardino, Pazzini, Balotelli, Acquafresca.

Con il 4-4-2
    ------------------------BUFFON--------------------

SANTON----CHIELLINI----NEW CB----GROSSO

DE ROSSI----AQUILANI---PIRLO---MONTOLIVO

---------PAZZINI--------ROSSI-------------------

Problems are evident... width and crosses would come only (mainly) from the backs (Santon/Grosso), on the other end we cannot afford wingers (or the 4-3-3) because we don't have any defensive midfielder in our system. We should probably all pray that Gattuso can regain form for 2010.
    I was probably too hard on our Defense in previous post as quite frankly our midfield was like butter.

Con il 4-3-2-1

-------------------BUFFON--------------------

SANTON-----CHIELLINI----NEW CB-----GROSSO

-----DE ROSSI---- PIRLO -----MONTOLIVO

-------AQUILANI----------ROSSI-----------

--------------- GILARDINO--------------------

Ideally this would work with an healthy and in form Perrotta and Gattuso (for Aquilani and Montolivo). We would be protected and revert to what we know bette... keep a shut-out, score one goal one way or another and find the second one on the counter attack.

23. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Cassano?? i m sorry but cassano is a must if we want to win

24. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree.
    But I think there are zero chances that Lippi will call him.

25. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And let's not forget Vincenzo Macheda. :)