Your lineup against Germany?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jd6885, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I think Cox is a very good player. Everyone (including myself) has been trying for the right combinations to move Chalupny up. I thought Dowling was the answer and I am inclined to believe only an injury kept her out. I would not have used her as a replacement for Mitts. I would have started her since she is a versatile player. Let's not forget that the WPS exposed allot of these girls to some of the best international talent and some have stood up very well.

2. CrashTheParty

CrashTheParty New Member

May 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-Rod, Cheney and Tobin, along with Nogueira, Morgan and LeRoux will be the leaders of the USWNT in a few years, but not right now. They do, though, need the international experience from these friendlies, but Germany is not the team to do experiments with. Germany is a lethal all-around team, and Silvia Neid doesn't care who's a college player, a WPS rookie, ect. They will be playing to win, especially after the Euro Championship run. A win over our gals in this friendly would assure them the number one ranking in the next FIFA polls. Pia needs to field the best veterans we have. Someone had mentioned Tobin making mistakes from trying fancy moves, well, at least she's a kid. Megan Rapinoe does the EXACT same crap, and that's the garbage Germany's midfielders and defenders will be looking for to make take-aways and spring a certain Fatmire Bajramaj. Ofcourse, Miss Fatmire hasn't played against a goalkeeper Hope Solo's caliber anytime lately, either. Solo, in my humble opinion, will be the lynch pin that will make or break this match for the USWNT. If she has an excellent showing, they will win. If she doesn't...well, I don't want to speculate (see "Rachel Brown"). BUT Angerer will have the same onslaught on the other end with a healthy Wambach (to match Birgit Prinz every step) and O'Reilly's speed up the flanks.

3. tobinheathfan13

tobinheathfan13 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with some of your points.
    1. I think Germany is a great opportunity to play the young players. I think that Tobin and Cheney are most definitely ready and A-Rod is a possibility. They need the experience against GOOD teams. It is not as if they have not seen this high competiton before. If i remember correctly, A-Rod, Cheney, and Tobin all played against Brazil multiple times, a team that is of Germany's caliber (might I add that ARod scored the winning goal in a game vs Brazil before the Olympics.
    2. On the point of Rapinoe/Tobin...Germany is not particularly known for their speed. I think that it'd be nice to combat the Germans on the flanks, instead of playing their pound and grind-it-out style. IMO, Rapinoe's "CRAP" is nonexistent. I think Rapinoe plays the game well, has a great shot, great footwork, and is a future star of the WNT.

Although, I certaintly agree with you that Hope Solo will be one of the make or break players of the game

And on a side note, I want to see how the back line (especially Buehler) handles Prinz. Can we say heigh difference much?

4. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

Prinz 5' 10"
    v. Americans
    mitts 5' 5"
    beuhler 5' 5"
    bock 5' 7"
    chalupa 5' 4"
    whitehill 5' 7"
    lepeilbit 5'7"
    cox 5'6"
    schnur 5'6"

solo 5'9"
    barney 5'10"

wambach 5'11
    v. germans
    bartusiak 5'7"
    fuss 5'6"
    krahn 5'8"
    peter 5'7"
    Schmidt 5'8"
    stegemann 5'7

Angerer 5'9"

Doesnt look too different. In fact I am wondering who plans on marking abby. I am assuming prinz on corners, but otherwise there is no one who can match abby physically.

5. CrashTheParty

CrashTheParty New Member

May 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapinoe's crap is non-existant??? Re-watch the friendlies against Canada when they played in Rochester and Charleston, as well as every Red Stars game (save the 4-0 win over Boston) and the WPS All-Star game. She gave the ball away when she tried to play hero, got pinned up by defenders because she doesn't pass the ball, and makes horrible passes. I'm not convinced of her talent, so she needs to have a good showing against Germany to make me change my mind!! And the game against Germany is not just a friendly to the Germans. They want the top spot in the world back, so don't expect them to just say "Oh, well. It's just a friendly!" They are hoping to be the only three-time World Champion, and do it in their own back yard.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch any of Germany's elimination games in the Euros. They do have speed.

7. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I agree with Smulan. I also think the Germans have the correct perspective on this match.

I may get in trouble for this post, but here goes...

As I’ve said before, this match is just an Uber-friendly. I disagree that we have anything to "prove". If the US worries unduly about the result, it just stifles our coaching creativity. Without doubt, each player on the field should play like this is the most important match in their lives (I’m sure they will.). But the coaching staff should (IMO) weigh the merits of trying to send a message vs. using this opportunity to creatively probe both Germany’s and our own resources. Both approaches have merit.

IMO, comments like some on this thread contribute to US coaching’s historical fear a loss (because of silly fan-driven flag waving over games that don’t mean anything). This game means nothing, and US coaching should use it for whatever they decide is in our best strategic interest going forward. That might be intimidation/confidence building or it might be riskier education/exploration. Whatever our approach, I don’t feel we are in any way assured of a victory over Germany. My point is, we shouldn’t allow fear of a loss turn this into a homage for Greg Ryan-like soccer.

Next, we are not going to cow the German team (who are at least one of the best in the world), whatever this result. Their last two victories in the WC were solid, and the competitive Euro game cycle makes it natural for them to peak for WC events (which they focus on anyway). Looking for a third potential WC win at home? You can bet they are gonna be pumped!

Finally, I don’t have the problems with this quote:
    "The German media were calling it the ""Duel of the Best"" –– which American soccer fans would probably take some major issue with considering last year’’s Olympic gold medal victory for the U.S."
    that others seem to have. This was media for home consumption so I cut them some slack; also, lets not be too revisionist. The US scrabbled out a win in the last Olympics, and we came up big when required, but we had a huge amount of luck (and owe a big debt to some other teams). We played poorly at least as often as we played well. Either Germany or Brazil could have won that Olympics, and I’m open to the idea that either (or both) were the better team(s). The best team doesn’t always win. People can equally argue that Stanford and UND were the "better teams" in the 2008 NCAA ( I can see that case), but it doesn’t matter--UNC found a way to earn the win.

I think we ought to worry about those FIFA polls about as much as UNC worries about being ranked behind Stanford this year (Not too much...). We should use this friendly to its best strategic advantage and keep our focus on what matters– I could care less if the Germans think they are the better team this year, as long as we crush them when it counts in the WC.

To put this back on thread, the discussion we have been having here shows we have a lot to learn about optimizing our roster. Some of these ideas are best tested against quality teams and that always entails some degree of risk.

8. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Well said.

9. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Thanks very much! I thought I might get my head taken off. I may yet? :D

10. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Don't worry, you will. I have been making the same argument for years.... American fans are too worried and wins and losses in these games and it restricts what our coaches and fed does. A win or loss against Germany in October 2009 means nothing. Actually, I think the biggest payoff for this game is just the experience of playing Germany in Germany. I like doing this before the WC. I'd also like to see 2-3 younger players get some quality time to prepare for next Summer.

11. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

in comparison to some other euro teams...maybe but i would not put speed on their list of assets. US fans harp on our team about speed, but I think we are pretty much quicker then just about any of our major rivals except myabe brazil.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, Chicago Red Stars very own Karen Carney said about England's loss to Germany in the European Championships:

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/chicago/news/off_the_field/090929-kaz-talkofsports.aspx

So there you have it. No more arguing from me.

UNC4EVER, I do agree with you and others that this should be a game to evaluate players. As you guys say, I also hope that we see some young ones in to see how they do against a top 3 team in the world. But I've played this game long enough to know that some "friendlies" are not just friendlies, at least often from the players perspective.

13. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

Especially given the last time we played them was 2007.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly

15. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I hear you loud and clear. As a player, I've Never played a "friendly", and I hope I never do-- except for pick-up games, weekends at the park. My greatest respect is reserved for those players with a savage desire to win, every game, every moment they are on the field.

But, that ought not apply to the coaches who are, after all, the generals of this 18 person army. They need (and should be allowed) to take a more strategic view of when to try something risky or novel, and IMO a quality friendly is a great proving ground for bold ideas. As a final note, I can remember a time, not long ago, when most USA "friendlies" were against teams like Mexico and New Zealand. I'm glad we are looking for games against top tier teams-- it speaks well (IMO) for the future of the program.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agree.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    as a euro player herself, i would expect carney to say that the euro champs are the best team in the world. but she may be wrong. the uswnt may be better than germany. i think we are. we just don't know. we don't play often enough. they played brazil at home on april 22 and drew 1:1. i think we are better.

looking forward to the game.

18. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the Euros have taken place and after that the Bundesliga started. There would be far less focus on that friendly here if the WPS season begun, right?

Curious - what makes you that confident? I might add that some of your "Euro slackers" looked pretty fast in a WPS surrounding.

19. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I think germany is clearly the better team, the usa is more of an in your face team with physicality and the speed. i think the germas just have more to their game not too mention the grings factor. her coming out of retirement boosts germany. i do think solo is the best keeper but andeger is extremely good as well. overall the germans have more talent.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Most of the Europeans that played in the WPS were outstanding. As far as speed, and esp. speed with the ball at your feet, I'll put up Karen Carney against anyone.

The only thing that I've heard/read form some of the Euro players is that the WPS is much more physical then they are used to in Europe.

That IMO, is a product of how our kids are coached and brought up in American club team system and on through college. More physical, less technique.

21. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    What is Tobin Heath's status? I read in my local paper she was injured in the game vs. VA Tech.

22. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    anyone else having issue seeing posts on this thread? Its so wierd:confused:

23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    yes.

i could not see sokrandlaw's post #71 even tho the thread listing had it as the last post for quite a while.

i could only see up to mrad's post #70 for the last day or so.

now, just a minute ago, i click on the thread and i finally can see post #71.

24. tobinheathfan13

tobinheathfan13 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She had a strained groin. I think Anson said something about her probably being back the next game though. I don't think this should affect Germany too much.

25. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

We're FREEEEEEEE ;) lol