Your Favorite Top 3 WC 2006 Qualifiers Matches

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Caturro, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It's a long recess from now until March, so I didn't find anything more interesting than to go over the best games that we've had so far in the last 11 rounds of CONMEBOL qualifiers. My top 3 games (from best to 3rd best) are:

1. Brazil 3 vs 3 Uruguay - By far the best game of these qualifiers. Brazil was gradually warming and getting to their highest level and at the same time it was Uruguay's peak with infamous Carrasco. It might be unclear to some, but to me, Uruguay clearly played better than Brazil. Forlan was still in Manchester U. and was one of the best forwards at that moment. Of course, he was only the trident of what was a fearsome offensive. I think, in many ways, this game marked a precedent in these qualifiers that Brazil is weaker than most would like to think. Very vibrant, entertaining, and well played game.

2. Uruguay 0 vs 3 Venezuela - If before I was pointing out Carrasco's best game with the Uruguay, now I highlight one of la celeste's saddest moments in its soccer history. At the same time, Venezuela would achieve a victory that would once again set a precedent: Venezuela is here to stay, and best of all, is not a guaranteed victory for anybody. Although forming with its extremely offensive formation, Uruguay began to show how fragile a very unbalanced team can be. With constant attacks on both sides of the field, this was also one of the most enetertaining games to watch.

3. Peru 2 vs 1 Chile - I had to put Chile in here somewhere, even if it wasn't a good game for us. Was it a game filled with talent, skills, and fair play? Probably not. But it was fun to watch, and I'd be lying if I stated otherwise. What made this game memorable was obviously the historic rivalry between both sides, which added a whole lot of emotion. To me, the game's brightest point was Farfan's ability to make Peru a dangerous team.

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    before reading your post:

3 come to mind, Uruguay's come back to tie brazil 3-3 in south Brazil
    2nd, argentina 2-2 chile in argentina (was that 2004?)
    3rd, colombia only great moment in 2004: FIVE to ZERO over Uruguay

3. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Uruguay 3-0 Venezuela: Uruguay's 4th loss in El Centenario and biggest whoping ever. BTW, Brazil & Argentina have never beaten Uruguay there for WCQ or Copa America games.

Quote from Carrasco before the game:
    - "We'll have 18 clear chances of goal". They had about 6 shots on goal.
    Quote from Carrasco after the game:
    - "This is the 1st time in my life that I wanted the game to be over"
    - "Venezuela could have scored 2 or 3 more goals"

Venezuela 2-1 Bolivia: Bolivia scored in minute 60-70. With the game almost over, 35000 venezuelan fans were ready to leave dissapointed.
    Jose Manuel Rey scored in minute 90 and the stadium exploted.
    Juan Arango scored in minuto 92.5 and the stadium blew up.

Quoting a friend that was at the game:
    - "I couldn't believe it, it was so amazing that I started crying. I felt like a little girl crying until I looked around and I saw several people crying of excitement. The whole city celebrated that amazing victory"

Argentina 3-2 Venezuela: An early own goal (a foul that the referee didn't call) helped Argentina beat Venezuela to get 3 points at home that a few years ago their "B" team would have got without breaking a sweat.

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    my favorite 3

Peru 4 Paraguay 1
    gamarra opened the scoring, the stadium went quiet.
    then came the peruvian reaction
    nobby solano made it 1-1
    mendoza put us ahead
    then farfan(came in as a sub) and soto gave us the final score

Uruguay 1 Peru 3
    second time we have beaten uruguay in a qualifier in montevideo
    solano opened the scoring trough a free kick, pizarro made it two with his first goal in the qualifiers. And la foquita farfan made it 3

Peru 2 Chile 1
    the game in which farfan overtook solano and pizarro as our most dangerous player, he scored the first and paolo guerrero made it 2, the chilean played their hearts out and scored their consolation goal near the end of the second half

having said all that the best overall game is the uruguay vs brazil 3-3

5. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    This is easy!
    1. Ecuador 1 Brasil 0 :D
    This is the most important win in this tournament, and Brasil suffers it's first lost to Ecuador! This didn't make the other sides too happy, but that is why this game was so important. Que golazo de Edison Mendez!

2. Ecuador 2 Colombia 1
    Again, another historic win, as it was the first time Ecuador beat Colombia in 30 plus years. Tin came back in a big way, scoring in the 3 minute, and assisting Salas, who confirmed in this game he is going to be one of the biggest stars in South America!

3. Ecuador 2 Chile 0
    This was a great win for Ecuador, Chile looked so bad. This was the return of Ivan Kaviedes and he didn't disappoint. Excellent individual goal confirmed he is still one of the best strikers in the world!

Paraguay is next!

6. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    LoL its cool to see all these opinions even though we all choose our country victories as top 3 WC2006 Qualifying Matches, here are my BIASED favorite games since i only follow argentina and ecuador...

1. Ecuador 1-0 Brazil-->nuff said

2. Ecuador 2-1 Colombia--> love beating colombia so i wont forget this one

3. Argentina 4-2 Uruguay--> 6 goals and great rivalry between the two, nice to see zanetti score one

7. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    bias....noooooo

all ecuas vote for the great brazil- ecuador in quito! I see why.
    the venexolano, for his team efforts, 3 times?

condor, eferna, and the first post have uru vs braxil 3-3, any one from ecuador saw this match, it was well played and full of garra or emotions.

8. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    didn't see that match between uruguay and brasil, just saw the highlights and that own goal! haha