Your favorite thing to do at a World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by tudobem62014, Oct 27, 2017.

1. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What is your favorite thing to do at the World Cup including things outside the games?

My top 3 are:

Learning the chants of my adopted team at a neutral game and joining in on the fun to and from the game on public transport and the walk up to the stadium.

Going into a restaurant where there's a number of fans from the team that wins and joining in and drinking and singing and eating.

Just passing the ball with randoms from around the world and getting pictures with people from different countries.

Nick Kharchenko and ziada repped this.
  2. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This time I’m looking forward to seeing the Winter Palace in St Petersburg. Every tournament I go to I try to see local icon places of a Host City. Keeps me out of pubs during the day and after awhile drinking booze every day just gets messy

tudobem62014 and Simon Overall repped this.
  3. Simon Overall

Simon Overall Member

Sydney FC
    Australia
    May 7, 2014
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You sound a lot like me haha

4. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is the winter palace the same as the Hermitage?

6. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Part of the Winter Palace contains part of the Hermitage museum. There are four other buildings that are part of the Hermitage and open to the public (Small Hermitage, Old Hermitage, New Hermitage, Hermitage Theater).

rafael_mia and Stuckin1au repped this.
  7. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    What are the fan zones like? Or is it better to drink at a bar or do something else? My group games at the moment are all the last of the day so there will be alot of time to watch atleast one of the earlier matches of the day (on two occasions there are three beforehand for example unless my timezones are wrong).

8. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Fan zones got a lot of beer and usually a big crowd depending on the teams playing. There was a lot of food at St. Pete's fanzone as well as a trophy room of Russia's hardware, a mini pitch with people playing 3v3.

2014 fan zones:

Rio's fan zone was loaded with people and entertainers on stage as well as a souvenir area. Was awesome on the beach. Was so hot in Fortaleza's during the day no one was there, but at night it got pretty loaded. Brasilia, Salvador's looked alright but I didn't go in.

9. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Are you from Russia? I thought Barcelona was a cool bar in St. Petersburg behind the fan zone. Beer and cocktails; cool bartenders.

10. Gareth_M

Gareth_M New Member

Newcastle United
    England
    Oct 30, 2017
    I was looking at fan zones last week and I was quite disappointed to find out the the fan zone in St Petersburg for the world cup hasn't been changed from the confederation cup.

It's the second smallest fan zone available which seems odd considering SPB is the second biggest cities and also that Palace Square is about 10 minutes walk away and absolutely huge in comparison.

Dont get me wrong, I visited the fan zone last year and it was good but I think it's going to be too small for the world cup.

There are tons of bars around the area, it's basically slap bang in the city centre but I'm not sure about "Barcelona", I've never been there.

It's not a bar but there is a very quirky museum very close by, the "soviet Union arcade machine museum" - will worth checking out if you have any geek in you!!!

Fan zone info for all host cities: http://m.welcome2018.com/en/journal/materials/fifa_announced_fan_fest_venues_for_2018_world_cup

BMfutbol16 repped this.
  11. digiosmosis

digiosmosis Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Oct 18, 2017
    Mumbai
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well supporting a team with the best deserved players and listening to the FIFA Anthem releasing every tournament.

12. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Meet fans from all over the world for a beer. Including you guys from BigSoccer Forum. :thumbsup:

rafael_mia and tudobem62014 repped this.
  13. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Definitely keen man! At the moment the plan is to be in Kaliningrad for a week for matches #26, #36, and #45 (and for #8 if it is a decent match or depending on work or a few other things). So very keen for a beer or two.

Nick Kharchenko repped this.
  14. Michael Davies

Everton FC
    Wales
    Nov 5, 2017
    Went to the fan zones in Capetown South Africa and Rio,both great atmosphere especially Rio,get to the bars afterwards.
    Have you got the group games in St Petersburg? Hope Iceland play in St Petersburg just so I can join in with the chant

themanlarry and Nick Kharchenko repped this.