Your favorite Book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by shifft, Nov 28, 2015.

1. shifft

shifft New Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Club:
    Bray Wanderers
    What's your favourite book(s) and why?

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welcome to BigSoccer, and more importantly, welcome to the books forum.

Since you're new here, I'll play along, though if you start a thread like this, you could provide a better lead in if you listed your faves...

So, in no particular order, my non-fiction First Re-Read Shelf contains:

• Watership Down -- Frank Adams. This is a storyteller's book, and in Hazel, we have the best leader in fiction.
    • The Lord of the Rings -- JRR Tolkein. I think I can safely say there will never be a better fantasy epic.
    • Dune -- Frank Herbert. The greatest world ever created.
    • Macbeth -- William Shakespeare. OK, OK, it's the Bard's most accessible play, but still...
    • To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee. Even more impressive after reading the first draft that is Go Set a Watchman.
    • A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens. It's not Christmas for me until Scrooge buys the prize turkey at the Poulterer's.
    • 101 Dalmations -- Dodie Smith. It's the book that I've read the most.
    • It -- Stephen King. I love novels that tell multiple stories at the same time, and King has mastered it here.
    • The Invention of Hugo Cabret -- Brian Selznick. The man has invented a new form of prose.
    • Suds in Your Eye -- Mary Lasswell. Maybe the best bad book ever written.
    • The Forgotten Door -- Alexander Key. He's more famous for Escape to Witch Mountain, but this is better.
    • One Thousand and One Nights -- I've read a couple retellings, my favorite is by Hannan Al-Shaykh.
    • Les Miserables -- Victor Hugo. OK, just kidding. One of my favorites, but it's not a easy re-read.
    • The Moonstone -- Wilkie Collins. The first great mystery.
    • Green Eggs and Ham -- Dr Seuss. Juvenile literature was never the same.
    • Their Eyes were Watching God -- Zora Neale Hurston. More great lines/passages than Les Miserables in 1/5 the text.

3. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Itchycoo Park
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Three there are.

Moby Dick, or The Whale – Herman Melville. “Wonder ye then at the fiery hunt?"

Nostromo, A Tale of the Seaboard – Joseph Conrad. “There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind."

Absalom, Absalom! – William Faulkner. “Maybe nothing ever happens once and is finished”

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Pro-Freedom

Pro-Freedom Member

Apr 3, 2017
  5. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is with some whimsy that I remark that Val lists certain books as non-fiction.

Watership Down is clearly non-fiction, but Les Miserables is fiction. The movie that stars Gerard Depardieu as Jean Valjean is non-fiction, though.