Your Crystal Ball: Now - 2011

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by CoachJon, Nov 1, 2009.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My crystal ball is surrounded by the spirits of the players who have played in the World Cup, but have not won it.

Rampone retires from the Nats (motherhood, age, accomplishments)
    Mitts retires from the Nats (marriage, accomplishments, age, future in TV, etc)
    Markgraf retires from the Nats (see Rampone)
    Whitehill is phased out of the Nats (doesn’t fit Pia’s needs)
    Wagner is phased out of the Nats (age, injuries, speed)
    Cox and Kai stay with the Nats, but don’t make it to the WC
    Nogueira makes the Nats, but doesn’t make it to the WC
    Weimer gets one camp, one game and doesn’t fit the plan.
    Solo and Chalupny stay where they are (no need for the crystal ball)
    Beuhler and LePeilbet become the center backs
    Right back is cloudy, but it looks like Dowling
    Boxx is d-mid (her spirit force is strong)
    HAO stays on the right (speed on field, maturity, experience)
    Rapinoe floats between left mid and forward
    Heath floats between left mid and forward
    Abby becomes the attacking mid (Pia: “but now Abby is back, and the tricky part is where she will play and what will her role be? She will get some goals in the World Cup as well. I am absolutely sure about that.”)
    Tarpley moves up top – benefits from HAO at r mid; Cheney and White are the other forwards.
    World Cup Backups are Barnhart, Lloyd and three new kids on the block.

What is in your Crystal Ball?

2. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Coachjon some of your predictions may ring true and some certainly need to be done. Two years is a long time and the current crop is not getting any younger. Abby as a attacking mid could work and it brings back memories of Akers. Abby should be about 30 or 31 by then and moving back may be a good idea. It all depends on how talented our forwards are at that point in time. I hope you have a set of crystal balls since I know you are going to take flak over some of your predictions.

3. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    IIRC, Abby played the A-Mid/Withdrawn forward for Florida whan they won the NCAAs. I think it's a very logical wrinkle. My crystal ball shows Abby playing some as a central defender in the march up to 2015.

4. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Pia could run a diamond shape midfield with Abby sitting up top, to two (TBD) fast, skilled, forwards. With 3 good Midfielders, it could transition into almost a 4-3-3 on attack.
    This actually makes sense. Abby's ball distribution was at its best before she broke her leg (I think she had over 10 assists) She can go forward on set pieces and be around for balls in the box, while helping on the midfield.

The question is, we are having issues finding 1 person to pair her up with, how are we going to find 2???

5. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Yeah, i like this Idae. I've also thought of Cheney playing this role as well as she can hold the ball in traffic and has become much more of a passer. UCLA has been playing her a few games at Amid.... and I think for a specifi reason.

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dianamo-ss: "The question is, we are having issues finding 1 person to pair her up with, how are we going to find 2??? "

Perhaps taking Abby out of the forward equation allows for more alternatives and more pairings to be considered..........

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Well folks, if we look on the bright side we have nothing to lose by trying it. I don't think our passing, runs, and efficiency could get a whole lot worse in the final third. I think it's worth a shot.

-----Boxx-----
    --Chupa---Heath/Rapinoe--
    ------Abby--------
    ----?------?------

Cheney, Kai, Tarp, Hao, Arod, Ohara, Morgan, Leroux...?

I'd like to see some new blood up there...