Your Club wins its league. You're making a season documentary. What's on the soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Auriaprottu, May 23, 2017.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...just what the title says. You have footage, commentator audio, crowd audio, interviews, news broadcasts, everything. What music do you use to complete it? As many tunes/compositions as you think maybe a 90 minute program would require.

Go!

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yakety Sax for sure.

Let me explain. In 2010-11, when RSL came within a goal of winning the CONCACAF Champions League, we had a game against Arabe Unido of Panama, and they were so, so bad at time wasting from about minute 15 on. When we won with a stoppage time goal, this is what the team released:

And I know we didn't with the regional title, but this song is, unexpectedly, on the soundtrack for me for that almost-title run.

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Seattle Sounders fan, but I don't live in the PNW. But I also listen to one of their local radio stations, KEXP.org. That station has shaped most of what I listen to. That, and Spotify. Often, on Spotify's weekly list they give you, I find stuff that just seems like KEXP music.

The thing is, I am really bad at choreography, so while I like certain songs, certain other songs I don't normally like might fit as well. That said, I like music that is emotional to me on some level. Usually not lyrically. More just the voice, as in Joy Division or Trisomie 21. Or the percussion or keyboards or whatever else.

And the thing is, I could come back to this tomorrow, and any subsequent day, and have a wildly different answer. But, we'll go with what's speaking to me today, which includes:

Trisomie 21 - Last Song

Metric - Help I'm Alive

Stars of the Lid - Austin Texas Mental Hospital Part II

and maybe a lot of Seattle indie and jazz music, but I can't think of any right now.

Ismitje and Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add a couple of songs that were played at games then. First:

Gwen Stefani's "Sweet Escape" may not be what you were expecting, but it was the song played after goals, and the whole crowd joining in the "wooo-ooo, wee-oo!" portion that opens the song and then pops up a couple more times was pretty cool. I miss it actually.

Bob Marley's "Iron Lion Zion" was played after wins as fans were filing out. Very cool song regardless, but having it part of the team "ritual" was pretty neat. I miss it definitely.

And then this one from Rancid - 2009's "Last One to Die." While it had nothing directly to do with the team/game day, the then-newish drummer (Brandon Steineckert, who would go on to write the RSL anthem "Believe") is wearing RSL gear throughout the video, which was pretty cool, and it coming out during the season we won the MLS Cup would get it in the documentary.

What about you @Auriaprottu ?

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm trying to find youtubes of some of this stuff I have in mind, in the order I want it, and it's turning out to be more difficult than I thought.