Your Choice ? and who will it be

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Barna Bee, Nov 5, 2002.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Personally, I don't really like any of the names that have been mentionned so far. Joe Kinnear? John Aldridge? How about someone continental? However, Brian Kerr still remains my first choice, big step or no.

2. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Today's Examiner has it that Toshack has already been offered the job and will decide tomorrow on it.
    Apparently he's been offered a contract through to 2008, but he's not keen to tie himself down long term.

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  4. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    Here's a novel one:

Johann Cruyff, as suggested by PJ Cunningham in today's Indo.

BTW, Tochack is supposedly mulling over some Serie B job...

Kinnear says he won't apply, but if he's wanted, people know where he is (although he can hardly say otherwise while holding down a current post).

Frank Stapleton has also expressed interest...

A few left-fielders who can handle Roy:

How about Roddy Collins? If Roy starts acting the bollix, big brother Stephen can come in and settle his hash!

Or how about giving it to Mrs Keane? Like to see him throw a tantrum with her around!

5. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Robson??

Well according to some sources, Bryan Robson's odds have shortened to 11-10.

Pretty damn short. Maybe someone knows something.

6. 3rdSt.Jim

3rdSt.Jim New Member

May 16, 2001
    Higley, AZ
    Cruyff would take one look at the muppets running the FAI, the pitch at Landsdowne, and the 'plan' for 'future' improvments and be on his first flight back to Amsterdam to coach the Dutch Under-7s.

7. Nigel_Sausagepump

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Looks like he's taken it.

I find it surprising that the FAI have until March to appoint a new manager, but according to the Toshack rumour, they approached him a day after McCarthy left.

Actually, on second thoughts, this is the FAI, I don't find it surprising in the least!

8. Nigel_Sausagepump

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Re: Robson??

The "something" is the regard in which Robson is held by Roy Keane. He's one of the few names thus far touted that Keane would have immediate respect for.

His managerial record is less than inspiring however. He spent millions to limited effect, showed poor man management skills in losing the likes of Ravanelli, Emerson & Juninho shortly into their contracts and supposedly oversaw the growth of a drinking culture at Boro.

Perfect qualifications for the Ireland job, eh?

9. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    Re: Re: Robson??

The mere thought of Robson getting the job scares me! Maybe he could have Paul McGrath and Norman Whiteside on the coaching staff. They would have a great time on their weekends 'away' in Dublin.

10. Nigel_Sausagepump

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Reid has officially stated this morning that he would be interested in the job if offered.

That makes it four serious candidates who have overtly declared their interest in it, Aldridge, Kinnear, Robson and Reid. (5 if you count Pat Devlin's touting of Dalglish)

I refuse to treat Plank Stapleton's rumour of interest with anything beyond the scorn it deserves!

11. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Out of these guys, I'd love to have Dalgleish, he has achieved the most. However, there's no way Roy would play for him after snubbing him back in 93.

12. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    If Reid gets it we will have come from bad to worse.

13. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    if that happens, I'm gonna start the "Bring Back Hand" campaign...

14. frankk

frankk New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Dublin/Donegal
    I was listening to newstalk (dublin based radio station) on the way to work this morning. they were discussing the fall-out from the genesis report. 'ghost writer' supreme eamon dunphy was giving his oinion on the whole matter, basically saying how roy has been vindicated and all he ever wanted was the best for the team.....

anyway, eamon has thrown his weight firmly behind kenny dalgleish. he was making quite a bit of sense; kenny has won the league twice with different - high profile - clubs. intellegent manager. confident. good approach to the game. well respected etc, etc.

he also scotched any rumours of any bad feelings between roy and kenny. for anyone who doesn't know the history - roy was going to sign for blackburn but the blackburn office wasn't open early on the day he was due to sign, alex ferguson nipped in and made the best signing of his career. the rest, as they say, is history.

they have met on a number of occasions since and carry no ill will against each other. kenny has accepted that things like this happen in football.

kenny has expressed an interest in the vacant post so all things considered i'm beginning to think he could be the best person for the job. if the odds are still good i might nip down to the bookies at lunchtime and throw on a few quid.

finally, eamon didn't give say if roy would return to the team, although he never said he wouldn't.

15. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    by the way Aldridge has said if he gets the job he'll be attempting to bring Roy back.

I agree re Kenny Dalglish, all the other serious candidates (robson, reid, kinnear) have only managed one relativley small club with no real succees. On the other hand while Dalglish was a successful manager at Liverpool and Blackburn, his more recent record at Newcastle and Celtic is not so inspiring.

16. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Dalglish is my choice too, records aside, what impresses me is his toughness with players. He wont accept crap preformances because he likes the people and he'll be tough and get the team in shape, we need this, espically given the preformances of Holland espically, who seems to think he can just show up, stroll around and come out with the victory.

17. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    Anyone else a little bemused that its unquestionably assumed in the media and in general discussion that the new manager MUST be one Roy Keane will be ready to work with?

Its effectively undermining the new manager before he is even in the hot seat.

After all, if we just need a puppet, Bosco is a damn sight cheaper and RTE needs the money. ;)

18. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Dustin with Kerr as his number two, we can't go wrong!

19. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Well, Soky HAS been showing some tactical astuteness recently...

20. Nigel_Sausagepump

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    The lead sports story in the Guardian this morning has it that Dalglish is top of the FAI's list, and the only name on the infamous 'A-list'.
    However, it says that he never patched up his dispute with Keane (contrary to what Dunphy claims) and as such would be unlikely to tempt the Cork deity back.
    It also says that Keane is very unlikely to come back regardless of who is in charge.
    That didn't stop absolutely hundreds of fans/voyeurs packing outside the Waterstones in London yesterday where he was doing his book signing. I couldn't believe how many of them were there!
    Definitely the closest thing I've seen to a caged gorilla in the zoo glaring at the awestruck punters looking in.

21. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    It would be hard for Roy to justify not coming back, having said he would love to play again but only if Mick was not manager. Should be interesting then to see what his excuses will be if Dalglish does get the job!