Your Biggest Disappoinments as a US Soccer Fan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HartwickFan, Aug 24, 2017.

1. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    I would always watch the World Cup matches, but I haven't been a serious fan for as long as most here so I haven't really seen any major disappointments on the field. I've only really seen the team exceed expectations. Thus, my biggest disappointment has to be seeing Klinsmann fired after nothing but success after major tournaments. The team's just nowhere near as sexy with old man Arena leading them, and it's way less fun to come on BigSoccer and gloat after victories.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The deep divide between the "USA English fans" and the "USA Mexican fans." Can't find two more dissimilar soccer cultures in the world.

We're not going anywhere when the two big blocks of fans have no common ground at all.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your ideas intrigue me, and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Ghosting and russ repped this.
  4. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom

What about the "USA German fans" ?

TOAzer repped this.
  5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fan base is fragmented generationally,ethnically,socioeconomically,and even by gender preference.
    It's a huge issue.I don't know what if anything can be done about it.

My current disappointment is how hard we sucked Friday

chad and HartwickFan repped this.
  6. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Once the mens team earns their own major accomplishments, everyone will naturally fall under one umbrella more or less. Celebration and appreciation have their ways of making divisions disappear.

Until then, frustrations will continue to cause factions that perpetuate divison so to say.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yup. in the moment (that is, during the matches, while it was clear we would lose to Poland, yet not clear that Portugal would lose), the disappointment was huge. likewise - technically moreso, as it would be days before relief came - Portugal's last second equalizer in Brazil was gutting. We were through ... then we weren't.

granted, in hindsight, the disappointment doesn't seem as great, because it all worked out in the end. but in the moment ...

beyond that, I'm going with the Frings no call narrowly losing out to the last USA/Mexico qualifier in Columbus. I'd been to all the 'dos a cero's, and looked forward to this one as much as anything. and to top it all off, it took a couple hours to get out of the parking lot and I had to stand around and watch while my pals kept working on a cooler of very good beers ... but I was driving. :mad:

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing the 1930 semifinal Argentina

HartwickFan, TOAzer and Ismitje repped this.
  9. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if the USA win that game they would have become the first ever team to reach a World Cup final.

HartwickFan, TOAzer and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Most are converted/resigned EPL fans, who now are watching the BuLi because we have only Cameron playing Premiership games. The few bona fide German fans, the type who watch BuLi matches with no Americans involved, are a tiny minority, as per the TV numbers those matches get.

On the other hand, the Premiership is still the second most watched league, even now that we have very little presence there.

11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The biggest disappointment I've had was reading the whining and xenophobia on the "who chooses the venues" thread. That kind of thing iswhy I prefer the club game.

12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In you Napoleon has found his Laplace.

13. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we...er, the team could sure use a guy like Donovan right now. It was inevitable that he would eventually be off the roster, although it might have been too soon for whatever reason (lost his heart, fitness, coach, etc). Its like when you buy a puppy. You know it has a limited shelf life so you enjoy it while you can. Right now, we're seeing the sun set on Dempsey's career.

HartwickFan repped this.
  14. ForceMultiplier1994

Jul 5, 2016
    Filthadelphia
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say,
    1.The entire 2006 World Cup. Yeah the red-cards were ridiculous but that team under-performed.
    2. 2011 Gold Cup Final. To get humiliated by Mexico, in Pasadena, after being up by two, was atrocious. and then Dos Santo took a big 'ol shat on the U.S defense and Tim Howard.
    3. The USMNT fans who b!tched, ached and moaned after Donovan was left off of the 2014 World Cup roster. That was genuinely disappointing to see/read going into the World Cup and after years of USMNT fans building up some type of equity and esprit de corps, thought it was almost totally sh!t away in that moment and they all should have had a big lollipop stuck in their mouth and stuck in a little chair in a corner of the room.

15. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny as it will sound, I walked out of a 2-0 lead against Brazil because my neighbor called in tears after her dog had been hit by a car. Big dog, lots of blood but no life-threatening damage. Applied first aid, stopped the bleeding, got it into her car and on her way to the vet. Came back in, cleaned off the blood, and we were down 3-2 in the Confed Cup finals. Honestly - I've never felt so much like I just didn't deserve what happened that day.

16. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We weren't one home win away from qualifying for the World Cup. We were one home win away from clinching advancement to the CONCACAF finals. Even if we had won that game against Costa Rica (or tied it), will still would have had to win the CONCACAF finals against Canada and Honduras to get to the World Cup.

17. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest disappointment as a US fan:

Knowing that we are stuck with with the USSF, one of the most incompetent organizations in world soccer. Total Amateurs. No wonder why the US has always underachieved.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first Bold statement explains the second.

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Some specifics?

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some random thoughts

1) World Cup 1998: more of infighting within the tea. John Harkes knew what he did and why he was left out. Sampson gave him a face saving scenario for both Wynalda and Harkes. Harkes should have taken it and left quietly.

2) Confederation Cup Final 2009.

3) WC Finals R16 vs Ghana.

4) Kirvoski. He was projected to be the first major American superstars.

5) Meola's left post.... WC Finals, 1994 against Romania.And why Keller was ignored by Bora.

6) WC quarterfinal vs Germany, 2002. That hand ball!!! Oh well, I thought the Germans probably would have won in the end. This did not really stand out.

7) I thought Donovan would have a career liked Henry, Giggs, Bergkamp, Totti, Del Piero, etc. He turned out very good, but.... never mind. I also thought DMB probably would become a career similar to that. I would add Onyewu to the list. No one mentioned Freddy Adu yet. Before that, we hae Gus Kartes. I don't even think anyone here remembers him or why he was even mentioned here.

8) Subotic and Rossi. Rossi would have disappointed because of his injuries. Subotic probbaly would have contribute in the 2010 WC Finals. Hmmmm..... if both played in South Africa, we might have beaten Ghana and then, Uruguay.

21. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of good and bad times being dragged to the surfaced here, I like it!

My biggest disappointment is when we suck ass...

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could go on and on about specific players not turning into what we wanted them to be but... the fact that it's turning 2018 and the USA has still yet to produce one world class outfield player is very disturbing....

HartwickFan repped this.
  23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest disappointment as a fan is knowing that we're not gonna be as great as I'd like us to be, until I'm old or dead.

24. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest disappointment has been the 5-1 loss to Czechoslovakia in our opening game of the 1990 World Cup. I wasn't foolish enough to think we were going to win, but I wasn't expecting us to be humiliated as badly as we were.

25. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uggh, yes Yesterday brought back flashbacks of El Salvador 2009, the third CONCACAF round of 2014 qualifying, and the late summer run of 2001.