your 23 for france

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Apr 9, 2019.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I promise I do! But I happen to be an expat in Asia right now (and for the majority of the year), so my clock is different. :coffee:

CoachJon repped this.
  2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admittedly, it had me wondering if there were any gay players on the Courage roster. It's not like Rapinoe, Krieger, Ashlyn Harris are on the team, but I came up with at least one, new GK Stephanie Labbé. But I trust your information that Hinkle's perfectly capable of working together with gays and lesbians in a team setting

Perhaps Hinkle objects to what she sees as an unnecessary politicization of the issue by US Soccer.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually Hinkle ruined her career on the Nats by first refusing a callup for religious reasons and then saying publicly that gays and lesbians, including those she plays with, were all going to hell and she has never publicly apologized for that statement.

It is her right to have those views but it is not her right to condemn so many people publicly. It is basically hate speech which is not even protected by the Bill of Rights.

The most surprising thing is that she is still playing in the NWSL.

Patrick167, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  4. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Her ability to shoot like that is under-appreciated in the development of the USWNT's reputation among hard-core sports (not necessarily soccer) fans as a team worth watching.

5. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you really just say Pugh was better than Henry?

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, he said that Henry is better than Pugh, but he did it in a so convoluted way that most of the people couldn't understand the meaning of the > and < symbols.

MiLLeNNiuM and kolabear repped this.
  7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. So we've gone beyond banning Hinkle from the national team to banning her from professional soccer.

jjmack repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nope. It is just surprising to me that her bigoted attitude is forgiven enough that she can play with and against those that she condemned to go to Hell.

Personally I do not care much what her beliefs are but she has chosen her stance and the repercussions are her's to deal with in the future. I never banned her from anything but she got herself banned (not a real ban just a choice) and I guess the coaches and/or the players feel her presence would be more disruptive than her skill could make up for.

The exact reason for her not being called has never, to my knowledge, been vocalized by the coaches or staff but I believe my guess is pretty close and I very much doubt there are any combination of events that could get her called up again.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  9. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you, and I think what's especially crucial are those bonding moments between the players. Imagine being on the Nat'l team as a lesbian with your partner that's also on the team and having a team member that publicly stated on the 700 club that you're going to hell. It's incredibly uncomfortable, awkward, and quite frankly offensive. I consider it hate speech because it's discriminatory towards the gay community. The girls on the Nat'l team don't all have to be best friends, but there has to be a degree of chemistry that starts with being comfortable and loose around each other. Any kind of underlying tension isn't worth it and I don't feel sorry for Hinkle as she had a choice and she decided to come out publicly and be hateful towards LGBTQIA that happens to represent a good chunk of women's soccer, her preferred career path. I mean, how dumb can you be?

It also pisses me off that she is so against gays that she couldn't even respect pride month, a national celebration of the gay community enough to wear a shirt with rainbow numbers. No, instead, she rather sit in her home and watch the Nat'l team play without her. You know how many girls dream every single day of being in her shoes? Having one shot at the Nat'l team? She was there! Jill Ellis was giving her looks, she could have secured a spot but she voluntarily refused over hatred of the gay community. So do I feel sorry for her? No. She has every right to not like the gay community, but that decision to not wear the shirt comes at a price and it cost her an opportunity on the Nat'l team. That's on her.

FanOfFutbol and blissett repped this.
  10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    When did she say this?

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    On the 700 club after she refused her last callup.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Link, please. I can't find it.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm guessing it's a paraphrase and not an actual quote.

CoachJon repped this.
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A simple search for "hinkle 700 club interview" turns up dozens of links. Read what interests you and listen to the interview if you have any desire.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I see snippets but I would rather not give 700 club any traffic.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is that an exact quote? Did she literally say they were going to hell, or are you just paraphrasing?

jjmack repped this.
  17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm not finding the quote. Truth be told, I'm not finding anything I consider homophobic, bigotry or hateful. Hinkle knows the consequences professionally and financially and chose her faith. I don't agree with her personally but I do respect her commitment. Her teammates seem to stick up for her as well which makes me think it's a bigger deal to a segment of the fanbase than it is for people who work with her.

Namdynamo, CoachJon and AndyMead repped this.
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Undoubtedly.

It's a fanbase issue. There might be a few players for whom it's personal, but I don't see it in any of the LGBTQ people she works with.

19. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! WROOOOOOONG!

You clearly don't understand statistics, specifically...
    - Sample Size
    - Standard Deviation/Variance (Margin of Error)
    - Correlation (relevance)

A small Sample Size (small opportunities) means that the statistics have a larger Variance (Margin of Error) and could be higher **OR LOWER**.

Neither player has played very many minutes for the USWNT to even be comparing their statistics.

Jan 1, 2018 - Present
    Morgan Brian - 739 minutes
    McCall Zerboni - 297 minutes

That's just over 3 games worth of statistics for Zerboni and 8 games for Brian with a huge chunk of those minutes (for both players) coming from blowout wins against Tomato Cans (eg - Jamaica, Panama, Mexico, Chile, Belgium, etc).

CoachJon, Patrick167 and AndyMead repped this.
  20. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Pass Completion is a terrible statistic to use for comparison. It rewards players that pass backwards a high percentage and doesn't tell you anything about the threat created by the passes, quality of the opponent, etc.

CoachJon and kolabear repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    nooooo, I had the arrow pointing at Henry, which means she's the better player. All in all, I got the French winning 2 out of 3 fwds(with the other one a tie) & winning at both CB spots. The US wins both FB's, 2 out of 3 mids, the lone GK spot plus extra points for stronger subs.

22. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She did not say that. She's paraphrasing to make Hinkle look bad.

Namdynamo and CoachJon repped this.
  23. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, Morgan Brian's threat created by her passes is 1st or 2nd on the team. Zerboni and Brian don't pass pass all that much, so it doesn't really have an impact.

24. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pass back*

25. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Zerboni were actually all that good, her variance would be in the higher range, but it's lower.