Youngsters in MLS (1997 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Mario Balotelli, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I do not by that at all. I believe a 16 year old would say that but I would bet any amount of money that this isn't the only reason or even a reason why he was homeschool. Like if you let your 9 year old son make decision like that, it's bizarre. It sounds nice for sure. Could you imagine that conversation "hey mom I know I'm NINE years old, but I want to be homeschooled from now on to focus on my career. I'm pretty sure Atlanta is going to have a pro team eventually that will absorb my academy team and it will be lit. Also make me a little brother and I want ice cream for dinner. I'm going to go back to watching spongebob now. While I do that make it happen for me."

butters59 repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I believe this is the first appearance on a gameday roster for Reggie Cannon!

Also got Mihailovic on the bench for Chicago!

TCS35, bballshawn and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He should be in the 18 every week. How's that Grana signing working out so far?

TCS35 repped this.
  4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got good reviews a few weeks ago. Didn't love him in his very short time with Columbus.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Grana's really struggled from what I've seen.

6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Essentially confirms Zimmerman and Acosta have been called up for qualifiers as well.

7. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    Might they be resting them though since they have a game on Saturday as well?

I'm actually concerned because I was thinking of going to that dallas vs houston game but I'll have to reconsider if my boy Acosta and Zimmerman aren't there. :thumbsdown:

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Hey what do you guys think about Pomykal? I watched the Dallas Cup highlights and he looks like a really interesting player.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm probably in the minority, but I think he's the best '99 in our player pool.

He's a true #10. He has an incredibly hard to describe style of play, but he's incredibly good. He doesn't physically look the part, and sometimes his work rate isn't completely there, but when his team is in possession, he's very good. Pure playmaker, excellent with his deliveries into the box, good goal scoring, improved athleticism the last year, very good ball control and enough ability to beat players off the dribble. So smart, one of the smartest players in the youth player pool.

I think he is the player that people want Hyndman to be.

SUDano, USSoccerNova and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably wrong since McCarty was in the lineup for Chicago, and I expect him to be called up. I'd wait for the weekend games, though (if Jozy and Bradley aren't with Toronto tonight, that's pretty telling).

Starman* repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Grana's been fine.
    Cannon should really be ahead of Harris on the depth chart, though.
    Great guy and teammate, but is a defensive liability.

I think both have contracts that run out after this year..............................

Harris was out of contract after last season, was left exposed in the expansion draft (but pulled back after Loyd was selected), and was signed as a versatile bench option. He should be nothing more than that.

We'll see Cannon at some point this season. I'm not particularly concerned about it. I have faith that when he is ready, Pareja will give him some opportunities.

TCS35 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  13. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's gonna be a bitch getting into that ATL attack

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That Gressel guy isn't as good as advertised, but for the most part, they do have a very good attack.

Martinez is going to go into the lineup when he returns, probably for Gressel with Villalba back to RW. I'm hoping they push Gressel or Almiron to CM, therefore Gressel won't be on the bench.

If so, all he has to do is beat out Peterson (a player he's better than) to make the bench. And even then, maybe both make the bench, you don't need to start two DM's, and have two others on the bench. At that point, if he's playing better than them, they'll eventually put him into the starting lineup. He needs some playing time for that to happen though. Hopefully he gets a runout today.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd have to think with ATL running NYC off the pitch that Carleton gets a 2nd half sub.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Only got a few minutes last week when they had a big lead.

Their assistant coach is coaching today, Martino was suspended. I'm hoping he has a different mindset.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They brought in another defensive midfielder. They are up two goals with 10 minutes left, show some faith in a young player.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Another defensive midfielder. That'll be that. 3 subs used.

Evidently he would've ruined a two goal lead.

JRB92 repped this.
  19. barvsenal

barvsenal Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hard for me to be a fan of this team when we consistently deny a great young player opportunities. It's now evident to me I care so much more about the national team than club. I'm so resentful against Atlanta United even though I'm a season ticket holder. We need to get the kid in.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #2445 ussoccer97531, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    We were told to be patient at the beginning of the season, it'll be nearly 3 months of matches by the next match. He's gotten one five minute runout in a 4-0 game.

After how he performed in preseason, I think anyone would be lying to themselves if they were to say they weren't disappointed that he's played five minutes through three months.

TarHeels17 and JRB92 repped this.
  21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was one of the guys telling you to be patient. But man, today did it for me. Why tf is it necessary to sub in Chris McCann? Or Kenwynne Jones? Just a lack of understanding from their coaches.

I'm pretty f***ing pissed off.

Tom Collingsworth and Anderson11 repped this.
  22. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Disappointing for sure. Almiron was called for Paraguay, so will presumably be unavailable for ATL's next few matches....would've been a great time to give Carleton a run out to get acclimated in a non pressure packed game already being ahead. Leads me to think AC won't even get a run out with Almiron gone. Lame

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ain't even June 1st yet. Long season ahead.

24. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Fast forward a few months

It's not even semptember 1st still got the playoffs to go

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think next week he has a better chance of playing, as long as they are going to make an attacking sub. The way things are going, chances are they won't.

Almiron and Jones are both gone on international duty, and there's a chance that Martinez and Peterson won't be available. Martinez had his first practice since his injury on friday. The local beat reporter labeled his chance of making the bench this week at 10%. Next week, I figure with a full week of practice its more likely than not that he makes the 18, but can you really start a player who hasn't played in more than a month? Peterson has yet to practice. He's also been out for a while. Even if he makes the 18, I don't figure it'll be more than off the bench due to how long he's been out.

So saying all that, I actually think there's a good chance Carleton starts next week. Who else would they start? They need a replacement for Almiron in the lineup. The usual first candidate for that Jones is also on international duty. Brandon Vasquez is another candidate, but I get the sense (and its obvious for anyone to see) that Carleton is more ready for big MLS minutes.

So unless they are going to go extremely defensive with three #6/8's in their starting lineup or completely change the formation to one that has one less attacking player, they either have to start Carleton or players who haven't played in what will be 1.5 months in Martinez case or 1 month in Peterson's case. There's also the chance that neither of those players are ready to even be in the 18.

TLDR, I think Carleton has a really good chance of playing a lot next week.