Youngsters in MLS (1997 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Mario Balotelli, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Brians grumpy post of the day.

If trolling isn't allowed why Bigsoccer?

2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I don't think you can discount the development at many South American and Italian and Spanish academies. I agree with the OP that a handful of US Academies (not exclusive to MLS) are doing a much better job of late.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not discounting. I'm just comparing obvious high points to obvious low points. We should probably talk more specifically the clubs. After all, Real Madrid chews up players IMO but Villarreal is sublime.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. If your team isn't capable of maintaining possession, then there's no reason of teaching them to do so, which is why so many high school teams love long balls up to the most athletic kid. There's just different tactics for different players, and our players/teams in US/MLS haven't been good enough to utilize higher level tactics.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It goes a little beyond that. There needs to be a national set of tactics working coherently within a system. One country's system will be different from another's. That's basically the whole purpose for the DA. Kids around the country will be taught a national curriculum. Obviously with room to learn other systems but they can all be counted on to know certain things.

My own little guy at 12 already knows how to play 5-3-2 and 4-3-3.

wrench, bsky22 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Giggsy can be a bit abrasive at times, but in this case, his "comment" seems pretty factual.

7. tippco333

tippco333 Member

AC Perugia
    United States
    Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up playing for Perugia. When my family moved back I was shocked that as a young kid I knew more about soccer from a tactics perspective than the senior ODP kids. I always tell people the biggest difference is "Soccer IQ" aka tactics. (In my experience)

8. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Do we even know if it's a he?!?!?!?!? If its been coaching high end U14 girls in a remote upstate Minnesota town for so long. We likely should listen, I mean if I wanted to learn, thats where I would go.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hard to disagree with much of this, although I think you could include Atlanta and NYCFC.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/list-top-5-mls-youth-development-academies?page=0,1

My rankings (excluding Minnesota who doesn't have an academy):

1. FCD
    2. LAG
    3. Atlanta
    4. NYCFC
    5. RSL
    6. Vancouver
    7. NYRB
    8. Toronto
    9. DC
    10. SKC
    11. Montreal
    12. Philly
    13. Chicago
    14. San Jose
    15. Seattle
    16. Columbus
    17. Orlando
    18. Portland
    19. Houston
    20. New England
    21. Colorado

10. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Atlanta hasn't even had an academy for one season. Carleton has played 2 games and Goslin has played 0 games with the Academy. I think it is really hard to rank them in any sort of ranking other than look at all these great players that fell into our lap rankings. Not saying that is a wrong way of looking at it just Atlanta Academy really hasn't developed anybody yet.

Atlanta deserves credit though because the were able to realize that they were walking into what I think will be historical flush cycle for the area and were smart enough to capitalized on it while Minn United doesn't even have an Academy yet. They also did a good job of getting all the top talent in the area to commit to them although most played with the club that absorbed.

I do think they are doing a very good job though and in 3-5 years will deserve a spot in the Top 5 both on quality of prospects to come through the academy and standards of the academy.

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Galaxy too high, and calling Arriola an academy player is a little absurd. Hell, Zardes, McBean, and Jose Villarreal only spent one year in the academy.

No way I'd have the Galaxy ahead of NYRB when it comes to quality if pros produced, and it's not particularly close.

Patrick167 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They have the best '00 and '02 prospects in the country along with tons of YNT players in pretty much all the YNT age groups. You probably know the names better than I do. To me, that vaults them extremely high. Might've fallen into their lap, but these players are still technically part of their academy. NYCFC is kind of similar in that respect with a lot of YNT players right out of the gate, but maybe not as good right now. NYCFC right now only has Reyna as a really high caliber player, Atlanta has Carleton and Bello.

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Georgia United and the clubs that were under their umbrella deserve most of that credit. Atlanta wisely partnered with Georgia United, and I expect to see more talent to continue to come through their ranks.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    On NYRB, I'm not totally convinced. They might've produced a lot of pro's, but I'm not really sure how much a player like Agudelo relates to now. That was like 6 or 7 years ago. Miazga is the player I'd give them credit for, and also Adams, although the early returns on Adams are mixed, IMO. They don't have that many standout players in their academy from what I've seen, meanwhile I think LAG has tons, so there has to be some balance between players produced and current academy talent. I put more of an emphasis on current academy talent, although I wouldn't completely disregard players produced, which is why I have DC top 10, even though they might be five spots lower if we are just going on current academy talent.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say the LAG academy is overrated and the definition of product is being used in an extremely loose manner.

The global standard is three years at an academy between 15-21. I like having one definition so that's what I go with. Zardes doesn't qualify. Emo was with FCD for a single year. Davies was in Edmonton for years and has been with Van for two. Not yet a product. About as crazy as calling Morris a Sea academy product when he was developed largely at Eastside and Stanford.

16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    First, I am far from an expert when it comes to academys but I personally would rate an academy on;
    1. The quality of their program (this is independent of the quality of the players in the program but can be estimated to some degree by the quality of the players that come out of the program)
    2. The quality of the players that they actually develop. (this involves recruiting + development).

To me, a player that is in a program for a year isn't really developed by the program. Unfortunately, due to the age of most development academies few players can be counted as being developed by the academy. (Through no fault of their own, Atlanta is an extreme example)

Just counting the quality of player in the program does not adequately reflect on the academy if they were not developed in the program. It doesn't mean they suck but it does mean we have to wait on them a bit before giving them a grade.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Its hard to count first team players for some MLS teams then ignore them for others. Philly also has had alot of youth national team callups and an integrated soccer specific HS attached to the team. Maybe a list of criterion before a list would help people determine what its based on. Most teams have not had a history of first team play but I really like what Philly, Seattle, and Colubus is doing in terms of youth academy staff hiring, spreading their footprint beyond their local proximity and significant improvement in play and of course Atlanta's academy mecca of 60 million dollars of bountifulness.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Shattuck-St. Mary's DA spot becomes MNUTD's next season. They partnered together, and I'm guessing schooling and some form of residency will be part of MNUTD's academy since Shattuck-St. Mary's is an insanely expensive prep school like IMG Academy.

19. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I don't know how any list could have NYRB outside the top 2 (they are #1 for me). Not only have they produced numerous national teamers, but they also have a bunch of MLS starters and NYRBII players pushing for playing time now.

Starfish & Ice Coffee repped this.
  20. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really don't like the sound of that.

MLS academies shouldn't be exclusive along the same lines as prestigious prep schools.

Have you happened to hear anything on what costs will be for Minnesota academy players?

If turition is free, or covered by Minnesota United then it's not a problem but that's a hefty expense.

21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It probably won't be much of a charge, if any, to Minnesota academy players. The price is more in reference that Shattuck will have great facilities on and off the field for an MLS academy.

chrome_vapors repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. I'd say NYRB is way too low on that list..............................

One could argue if they like that NYRB is #2, with an argument for #1.
    That's if we're talking about first team impact and not hype.

Folks are going to think I'm being a hypocrite for saying this, but academy titles, youth tournament titles, etc. are meaningless. MLS academies are a means to an end. That end is to develop first team players, deliver first team trophies, and to benefit financially by selling players on to Europe. What makes FCD's academy the best isn't a Dallas Cup title. Its that they develop players like Acosta and have won trophies recently with them. The Dallas Cup without the first team success would have no meaning whatsoever.

I'll give an example. Folks are always saying what a poor academy that NE has. But they have two IMPACT first team players from their academy right now (Caldwell and Fagundez), which is more than the Galaxy do. I don't care how good your U16 DA team is. The Chicago Fire have won DA titles. So what? Completely and totally meaningless.

Here's your damn list right here in terms of percentage of minutes given to homegrown players. So put NE low on your list if ya want, but they were essentially tied with FCD last season in terms of percentage of minutes given to their own homegrown players. So if somebody is going to rank MLS academies, New England can't be near the bottom. Can't be. They actually use their academy for the purpose its intended. They've signed only a few players, but those players are high impact.

2016 HG Players, Percentage of Minutes (just teams with 10% or greater)
    https://www.socceramerica.com/article/70461/by-the-numbers-2016-mls-homegrown-players.html
    PCT. TEAM MIN.
    14.3% FC Dallas
    14.2% New England 4206 (2741)
    12.7% NY Red Bulls 3784 (582)
    12.4% Toronto FC 3558 (1811)
    11.3% Seattle 3134
    10.6% Real Salt Lake 3138
    10.4% Montreal 2996 (1275)

The number in parenthesis is the number of minutes given to homegrown players from other MLS academies (like say London Woodberry). Note that if we combine the numbers than NE in 2016 actually gave the most minutes in the league to MLS academy products. So...............

[Injuries impact these numbers for sure.................especially to Hamid and Zardes.]

23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Manchester United's academy director a couple years ago talked about what their academy sees as success. He said it's about how many professional players that his academy develops. He made sure to specify professional players not Manchester United players.

If you look historically at the rankings for youth players some websites have made. The only certainty in the rankings is if the player is college ready. The rankings are pretty useless. Especially as the kids become 18-22. It's not a good measure.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is incredible. No wonder he's so talented. Probably trained as much as the average star from Brazil or Argentina did as a kid. Most American kids get no where near the training that their peers in some other countries get, for the simple reason that an American kid probably has a lot more things to do with their time.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-questions-with-andrew-carleton/PiZ6K9fKR0zBTzb84UgxjI/

Q: What kind of dedication did it take for you to get to this point through your teenage years?

A: It took everything I had. I chose as a 9-, 10-, 11-year old to not go to public school, to stay home-schooled so that I could train in the morning and then go home and do online school, and then train again at night. That kind of day-in, day-out dedication to keep working on my craft, keep working on my skills. It ends up paying off here now. It prepares you to be able to train here in the morning as well. I’m used to waking up and training.

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Wow, this is so rare for a U.S. player. Kudos to Mrs. Carleton for allowing her son to pursue his dream.

Tactical Hipster and ussoccer97531 repped this.