Youngsters in MLS (1997 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Mario Balotelli, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Forgot to mention that Adams cleared the rebound of Saucedo's post shot shot off the line.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    845742228446363648 is not a valid tweet id

845752894230089728 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good game overall for Adams.

He had at least 1 on other nice through ball to put Royer in on goal, and numerous key tackles. He was the usually the deepest lying midfielder but he definitely wasn't invisible.

ussoccer97531 and ShadowMoses2 repped this.
  5. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah very good game from Adams. Lennon was pretty Ok. Bofo probably won't be starting much this season. Lennon should get a lot of starts though.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I like Adams as a #6 way more than as a #8. I think as a #6 he has just the right amount of ability to pick passes, use some skill centrally to find space and open teammates, make runs forward. As a #8, he's kind of lacking in that department, although if you are going really defensive, he'll give you an honest effort defensively. Hopefully he's now a starter.

Sup Bro repped this.
  7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that he's way more of a 6.

I doubt that he is a starter. I think he at best rotates with Davis.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He'll be in the rotation. NYRB had some guys out on national team duty (McCarty, Kljestan, etc.) What we want from our MLS coaches is that they give these kids opportunities to step in when a guy like Dax isn't there. Jesse has shown he's going to be one of those coaches. I'm not worried about it. If Adams is the 1st CM off the bench when McCarty, Felipe, or Davis isn't available (which could be a lot).............then that's a good spot for an 18 year old. Adams himself is going to be gone a lot with national team programs. He's so young he's eligible for the NEXT U20 cycle.

Tyler Adams shines in Red Bulls' draw, aims for more minutes in 2017
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/25/tyler-adams-shines-red-bulls-draw-aims-more-minutes-2017

“I'll say that Tyler is tenacious in there,” said Red Bulls coach Jesse Marsch. “He's aggressive. He's confident on the ball. … The thing that he's still developing is the savviness and sense of how to move around with the game and set plays up in front of him.”

9. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    Dax got traded to Chicago before season started

ussoccer97531, bballshawn and SUDano repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ooops. A senior moment!

So Adams just flat out started over Davis? Was Sean carrying a slight injury?

By the way, what's the deal with MLS clubs not using their 3 subs? NYRB was at home and should have been surging for a win. If you don't have faith to bring on a Metzer or Allen, then what are they doing on the roster?

11. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    Yes started over Davis. Davis came on later in the game.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was squad rotation. But Davis hasn't looked great yet. The spot is open if Adams performs well.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup, that was the point I was making. Davis isn't playing great, a definite chance for Adams to claim that spot.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  14. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Adams might actually benefit long term by missing the U-20 World Cup. If he starts getting more PT for NYRB...missing a month could throw a wrench into him claiming a potential starting gig.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. Palmer-Brown had earned a starting spot with SKC two years ago a few weeks before he left to be the 3rd CB for the U-20's at the U-20 WC, and when he got back, his spot was filled because Ellis had scored a few goals from the CB position while he was gone.

If Adams is only going to be a back up, he should ask out of this tournament. He doesn't want to have the same thing happen to him what happened to Palmer-Brown.

16. KUSA77

KUSA77 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember right he only started because Besler got a red card in the 1st game then he left for the World Cup. Your point stands though...the entire EPB situation is the biggest mistake Sporting has made since the rebrand and they probably aren't going to get a dime for the best youth player we will ever have.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think what happened was that Ellis had a poor game against Chicago, (although it was still a win), so Palmer-Brown took his spot for the next game, and did pretty well. He was then in the announced starting lineup for the next game, but it was postponed due to weather. I think the Besler suspension was earlier in the season. Opara hadn't gotten injured at that point, I don't think.

KUSA77 repped this.
  18. KUSA77

KUSA77 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I was thinking of the Besler red card in the first game, then EPB started week 2. Left for the World Cup much later

19. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...t-deluge-goals-continues-vs-mnufc-more-week-4

1:54 minutes of Tyler Adams highlights from Saturday.

Also this from the article:

"I've spoken with some very smart folks who think he is the best non-Christian Pulisic prospect in the USMNT pipeline. I need to see more of Weston McKennie and Andrew Carleton before I buy a ticket for that particular hype train, but I'm in the process of getting my wallet out just in case. The 18-year-old was outstanding in his first 90-minute MLS performance."

ShadowMoses2 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Adams fan, but I don't think he's up there with our best prospects. I just don't see a very high ceiling.

He could be a very good player, might be off to play for a big club in Europe in the next few years, but I don't think there's a world class ceiling in his game. Aside from his motor, I don't know what he's that good at. He's athletic, but not a dominant athlete. He's an average at best passer. He's not a big offensive player. Ball skills about average. Who is world class with that profile as a #6? Kante? Is Adams going to be Ngolo Kante?

I think he has an incredibly high floor, which has allowed him to play, and play well in MLS at age 17 and play a cycle up with the U-20's and play for the U-17's with mostly older players. I think he'll be a NT player and at least a very good MLS player, probably playing somewhere in Europe one day, but I would definitely not put him in the top 5 non-Pulisic prospects, and maybe not top 10.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    At the moment I see the "floor" with him as Kellyn Acosta 2.0.
    So at worst he's going to be an MLS starter of distinction with USMNT potential. He has the potential to be more than that, but we'll see. Kante might be the best player in the world at that position. So if we're measuring him by N'Golo Kante, we're probably doing Adams a disservice.

We can talk about what his skill set looks right now, but he's only 18. Acosta has improved by leaps and bounds since was 18. What was N'Golo Kante doing at 18 years old? He had just left JS Suresnes (a local club nobody's heard of) for the reserves at US Boulogne in French Ligue 2. I doubt that folks were asking themselves at the time whether Kante was "the next Claude Makelele."

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there are some similarities to Acosta. Same type of versatility, same main positions, played up with YNT's for most of their YNT careers. I think the main difference between the two is that Adams has a better motor, covers more ground, better defensively (more of a #6), Acosta is better going forward, better passer, better dribbler (more of a #8). There's a very good argument he's trending towards Acosta 2.0, minus a few minor details on how they play. This was the season that Acosta started to get significant PT with FCD.

But I'm not sure Acosta 2.0 is necessarily the best non-USMNT prospect, besides Pulisic. Maybe it would've been 5-10 years ago, but I think we are actually starting to produce some players with world class ceilings. Lets see how he develops. Right now though, I don't agree with what Doyle said, although I'm not trying to say Adams is bad. I just don't see a world class ceiling.

23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Totally agree. Any fool looking at the CONCACAF U-20 tournament can name at least one player that rates higher than he does.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  25. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Almiron was subbed off at halftime of the Paraguay game today, anyone seen any news of injury to him?