Youngsters in MLS (1997 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Mario Balotelli, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    There isn't a big enough gap between the top and the bottom of the league to make MLS to MLS loans work. A player that is in the 20-25 on one roster and is thus surplus really needs to be 1-14 on the team they are going to on loan.

How many players are not good enough for one MLS team, but would be a key contributor on another MLS team? In general teams are not going to loan player that can help them to other teams in the same league.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For Carleton, the Atlanta situation seems a little difficult. He's a talented youngster but he's vying for the spot which is the most crucial for his team and consequently has the highest level of competition. The level that Tata is looking for in his AM is really, really high. So high that he preferred to drop Yamil Asad. Its a bit similar to the EPB situation and maybe even a little harsher. Fact is where EPB in Atlanta and Carleton in SKC I have little doubt that both would be playing a lot more minutes.

frankburgers repped this.
  4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Minutes are not counter productive for a 17 yr old top US player to play in the USL who is not playing significant minutes in MLS.
    You can try to force, strain and contort to make that logic true but its not. You can try to make up facts against 14 yr olds but that's irrelevant because no one is mentioning him to play U14 just USL against decent players much older than he is not 3 yrs younger.
    You are advocating our top youth who aren't playing in MLS to sit the bench and play no competitive matches rather than play in USL vs 24-32 yr olds. Makes no sense.

5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    There is a whole world besides MLS. Young Americans have done well on loan to Porto B, Rangers, and Vitesse lately. I wonder if the agents that have their players sign MLS HG contracts, simply don't have the connections to arrange loans to Holland, Denmark, Portugal or Scotland; among others. If Carleton had signed with Cory Gibbs, he'd probably be with Schalke U-19 already.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    No I'm not. I'm simply countering the assertion that minutes are all you need. You need minutes that will challenge you to get better. Arguing with that statement is impossible. If Carleton, or any 17 yr old, has already shown they are an elite USL player, continuing to play there does nothing except maybe keep them aerobically fit. But it will not improve their game and over time it could hurt it.

Sitting the bench is not what I'm advocating, it is what MLS is set up to do with a player that is too good for the USL but can't dislodge the record DP signing. I would say loan him to Denmark or Holland or a 2.BL side. But again, Atlanta is not paying his salary, so he is cheap injury insurance on the bench. If they want him to develop, they could loan him or play him. Atlanta doesn't have much of a track record so we will see if they are SKC or NYRB.

Carleton is just one example. Goslin is another. EPB was before them. All over the league are teenagers that are too good for USL and not good enough for MLS (or are not good enough because of the DPs on the team they were forced to sign with). This happens everywhere, but that is where loans come in. But MLS doesn't loan players.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Who else is paying Carleton's salary but Atlanta? The Bilderberg group? Can Carleton play on loan in Europe without a passport?
    EPB may have done it but I know Hyndman and Miazga were over 18 and already signed with European teams having access to passports. How can you say he is beyond USL when he's never played a full 90 minutes in any of his 4 games almost 2 yrs ago.
    Let him play a half season or a full season at least to make that absolute statement. I agree with you in the sense I want to see Carleton to play more with Atl but I'm not the coach and with those facts that Martino won't play him many minutes he needs to play with Atl2. How about an intraleague loan within MLS. Is there a team or coach that would play Carleton more than Martino?

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    HG players don't count against the salary cap and many, if not all, are paid through a fund from MLS. So, the answer to your question is, not Atlanta, MLS.

deejay repped this.
  9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    HG players don't count against the salary cap is different than Atlanta doesn't pay his salary. Atlanta pays his salary and Atlanta takes in revenue from a number of places including MLS payments to the team. MLS doesn't add up all HG salaries and pay the player nor the team the exact amount of all Homegrowns. I know its semantics but its important to note that Atlanta has almost complete control over how much they pay each player within the limits of all the salary rules. That has nothing to do with how much he is played. His experience, skill, and his play in practice does.

10. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    #5210 Kombucha, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    We don't have any players 18 years of age or under that are signed with MLS that have proven to be so good that they are so far beyond the level of USL that their is literally no benefit from playing there beyond fitness.

Carleton is likely the closest, but even if we accept that U17 WC is a equivalent level to USL, (I think it is a step below USL personally based on careers of former U17 WC players as most are not even USL level 2 years later). Carleton had a good tournament, but it wasn't like he dominated where you were laughing that he was facing players on that level.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good chance that Durkin gets the start in tomorrows preseason game with Canouse being out again.

Moreno has started the last two but Durkin has played good enough to earn a nod.

Winoman, Pl@ymaker and ckajMonet repped this.
  12. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Galaxy loaned Jose Villarreal to a Mexican team and Jack McBean to a league 1 team. Nothing came of either loan.

13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moises Hernandez was loaned to Comunicaciones and then to Deportivo Saprissa

14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think he’s kind of the forgotten CB in our pool. No one ever mentions him as one of our CBs of the future and everyone seems to assume that all the other guys will be better than him. At the very least, I think he gives us CB depth that we really needed this past cycle and if we had it, I think we’d be going to Russia.

bballshawn, USSoccerNova and SUDano repped this.
  15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    A note on BJIV, even though he's barely too old for this thread, is he has suffered another concussion unfortunately.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Glad was basically RSL's MVP when he returned from injury last season. I think this season he moves into talk of among the top CB's in the league.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

18. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Should be #2 sylvestre was trash
    in the one preseason game I watched

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably more total playing time as the #3. Curious to see how Bingham does. If he struggles, Vom Steeg could be the starter by the end of the year. Of course, it seems like all of these guys are keeping the seat warm for Lopez in about 2020 or 2021.

Pl@ymaker and bballshawn repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5220 Clint Eastwood, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Tyler Adams at #58. Pulisic at #2.........................
    We might underestimate the way Adams is viewed. I heard an interview yesterday with somebody mentioning that as a fullback/wingback he has "world class" potential. Maybe less so as a central midfielder.

[Note foreign MLSers Barco at #10 and Herrera at #73]

[Jonathan Gonzalez at #56. :(]

Patrick167 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    McKennie at #30. We have 4 US produced players in the top 100, including the #2 player.

KUSA77, USSoccerNova and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I would love to live in your world where a player getting paid $77,000 would start over a player making $7.7 million. That you could have such orders of magnitude of difference between players' salaries on the first team roster is very unique to MLS, I think. European clubs, at least well run ones, have players on more closely banded salaries which allow coaches freedom to give out minutes on merit, for the most part.

But in no professional sport, anywhere, is playing time solely down to skill or practice performance. Wasn't it Cruyff that said the older player is always better than the younger player; until you play that younger player and they develop. There is probably the opposite situation too, where older players, who are better, are sat or moved to make way for a younger player the club wants to sell.

Players play because they make the most money in every American league. Players play for marketing reasons, for many reasons. And as was said, the younger player will never be better until they are played.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Doyle has made this same type of point twice in less than a week. If he said second, I don't think it would even be wrong.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  24. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    that is just Doyle doing his typical trolling....

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Logic would dictate that a player making $7.7m is a better player than the one making $77K. Salary correlates to talent. I don't think you are trying to say that Carlton is a better option right now than Barco. I agree with you that its probably not exactly even and that a team's big off season signing is always going to be looked at as a better option than their top youth prospect. But due to injury, callups, practice, team form there may come a time this season that Carleton starts over him or someone else. Let time and process take over that decision.