Youngsters in MLS (1993 or later)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess my post didn't put up about the last thread reaching the end of its shelf life. So here's the fresh new thread.

Matrim55 repped this.
  2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's start the list:

Luis Gil (RSL)
    Omar Salgado (Vancouver)
    Jack McBean (LA Galaxy)
    Jose Villareal (LA Galaxy)
    Jon Kempin (Sporting KC)
    Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head who've played in competitive matches.

Others:

Victor Pineda (Chicago Fire)
    Kellen Gulley (Chicago Fire)
    Charles Renken (Portland Timbers)
    Marky Delgado (Chivas USA)
    Jonathan Top (FC Dallas)
    Shane O'Neill (Colorado)

On the path to citizenship:

Diego Fagundez (New England Revolution)

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Why so young?? So we just ignore guys like JMac/Agudelo/Okugo/Kitchen/MacMath....or potentials like Mwanga/Nagbe? If its only 93's and later this thread is gonna be dead in a matter of days...

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of those guys you mentioned are eligible for youth national teams anymore. If you want to talk about them, head over to the USMNT: N&A forum's "flavor of the week" thread.

There's plenty of interest in the upcoming U-20 and Olympic cycles to keep this going, especially considering the number of these guys who get serious run in the Reserve League.

5. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Who cares?? We talk about Mexico all the time on here....

There has been a combined 2 goals by those players in MLS play this year.....why not have a thread devoted to young players here so we don't have to go to the travesty that is the USMNT boards (let alone that none of them are at that point yet)....otherwise like I said, there is no point in this thread. Outside of a few posts on Salgado/Gil and one goal by Villareal nobody on that list has been talked about for months in real MLS action. And won't be as the season winds down.

Oh wait Top made the bench!! To bad it was when 2 other strikers were injured and he won't be making any real appearances anytime soon. And McBean and Pfeffer played in meaningless Euro friendlies!!!! Let the discussion commence....

6. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather keep the discussion to potential youth national team players even though we're at the youngest stage of the four year cycle. As was mentioned before, MLS Flavors of the Week thread seems like exactly what you're describing and, though I'm not a fan of the USMNT board either, that's where discussion of that sort belongs.

There really doesn't have to be a lot of discussion in this thread. In a year this thread will be much more active. The YNT forum wasn't always as active as it is now and it doesn't have to be as active as others on BS. Threads like these are why I like this board so much because I know that when a new post is made it's usually something meaningful to read, and not some rehashed argument about Jack Mac's future national team potential that's being duplicated in the USMNT forum.

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Villareal came on in garbage time for LA in the away game Chivas USA

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the youth national team sub forum. It's for discussing U23 U20 and U17 teams and eligible players. The recent U23 cycle just ended (I heard someone won it but I forgot who), and a new one began. Players born 1992 or earlier are not particularly relevant to a forum on youth national teams since they are not eligible for any.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so great when Jon Kempin is near the top...

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I know I'm gonna get blasted for this.................but we should include Richard Sanchez of FC Dallas. He's techinally still US eligible. Although he hasn't gotten into a match this season, he's been their backup on quite a number of occasstions. He's muuuuuuuuch more likely to be on Mexico's 2013 U20 team than the US' though. Hell, he could be their starting U20 keeper.

It won't shock me if Kellyn Acosta makes his debut this season for FCD. They're close to being out of the playoffs. Once they are, why not give the kid a sub appearance?

11. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam Najem started for NYRB's reserves today against DCU. Arun Basuljevic was subbed in for him in the 68th minute. Jalen Robinson and Suli Dainkeh started for DC and Ian Harkes came in at half. Dainkeh scored a goal. All are academy players.

Willis Griffith and Ramiro Osorio came on as subs in the Revs reserves 3-1 loss against Montreal. Matt Mozynski made the bench.

triniman25 repped this.
  12. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Of those players, I could see Jalen Robinson possibly becoming a homegrown player after a year at Wake Forest. Ian Harkes has a lot of savvy, but lacks the athleticism - particularly quickness - that you would expect in a pro prospect. However, Michael Bradley also lacked the quickness that you would expect in a pro prospect when he was growing up, so we will just have to wait and see.

13. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I'd take a player described as savvy over 99% of players whose hallmark is "quickness".

SuperChivo repped this.
  14. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    It depends on their motivation to improve. The problem for slow guys is they have to be super motivated, almost obsessive about improving in order to overcome the lack of mobility or they will never get to the ball. Ian Harkes comes from a family, on both his Mom and Dad's sides where there is a good chance that he will have the motivation to overcome his physical limitations. He may end up far ahead of people that are better than him right now. We will have to wait and see, like with Michael Bradley - some people were extremely bothered that Bradley was moved up the ladder so quickly when he was a youth player. He has justified the faith that people had in his committment to improve.

15. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal

soccersubjectively repped this.
  16. triniman25

triniman25 New Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Jalen did not start for DC united today, it was Nigel Robinson a completely different player. Jalen is happily at Wake Forest.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Marky Delgado will make his debut this season.

18. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Jalen has turned down DCU offer on multiple occasions with the excuse he wants to go to college. So why go after one year of college? He can't get GA contract. The kid had european offers that he did not or could not take. Should Jalen be in preseason training with Wake Forest now?

19. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is, it was my mistake. The line-up said Robinson so I assumed it was Jalen when, in fact, it was Nigel.

20. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Victor Pineda started for the Fire's reserves match against Colorado today. The Fire won 3-1 and Pineda picked up the third Chicago goal. Marcus Epps entered the match in the 38th minute while Jeff Farina(55th), Grant Lillard(60th), Briach Warchek(68th), and Kellyn Gulley(77h) made second half sub appearances for the Fire.
    Shane O'Neill started for Colorado and Jamie Gilbert(80th) and Alex Braman (86th) came in off the bench.

Chicago ended the match with 4 academy players and 2 HGs on the field, with them playing a good amount of minutes during the match.

21. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    James Marcelin and Scott Sealy didn't travel with FC Dallas to Vancouver for their match tonight while Brek Shea is with the USMNT. Look for some young FC Dallas guys to get some minutes #crossmyfingers

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he could get some minutes with the first team.

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope so

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is such a thing even possible?

25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Villarreal on the bench again tonight at 7et on NBCSN. Was hoping this would be his 1st start with Landon and Becks gone, but Bruce opted with Magee at FW and Stephens at MF. And if Jose does sub in, hardly anybody will be watching live because the US/Mexico game will have started.