Young Turk Jozy Altidore: it's been Villarreal [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Jozy always looked good with VofH in his Hull time - the back-and-forth on being a winger shows why: he isn't quick enough to play outside, but if played inside as the "big man" in a big/little combo, he doesn't have the target forward skills (yet, hopefully they'll come) to play like a McBride. When played inside but with another big man, he worked very well, because he was not often 1v2, and had a fair number of chances to run at defenders/pick up flick-ons. He has a deceptive upper body strength that helps him roll defenders but not hold them off or beat them for high balls like a Kevin Davies.

2. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Umm. No. He edited his post. Which is fine. At least now it makes sense.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Or facts. :D

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Re: Young Turk Jozy Altidore: from A to Z ?

Took a look at the AZ Alkmaar website and found nothing

5. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    this is right, but Jozy could still develop into a more classic target forward with practice. But he needs to really put in the time in the coming years
    (on the practice pitch).

He doesn't judge balls well in the air (back to goal), nor does he appear 100% comfortable in that position either. I think this could be overcome with practice.

In some skills, you are done by the time you are 16-17 years old or earlier. With high balls, I think you can improve for years in your 20s still.

It would be in Jozy's best interest to make this his major goal with intense, intense training over time. Its up to him. He will never become a real winger no matter how much he practices from here on out, but he could become more like Davies or McBride with practice.

You are right that Jozy works best as the 2nd big guy formation, but if that is all he can be, then he will severely limit his options and effectiveness going forward.

6. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Young Turk Jozy Altidore: from A to Z ?

Per Jozy's agent tweet last week, the move isn't official yet but "should" be completed this week.

7. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    jozy twitter 15 hours ago

"Hate leaving home :'( going to miss mi familia!"
    15 hours ago

8. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the matter that the John Hancocks need to be passed around. Which should happen sometime between today and Wednesday.

9. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hoping Jozy does well. Development is great and all, but I'm looking forward to "The Wizard of AZ" thread title.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, the "Wizard of Oz" was all smoke and mirrors, which Jozy should hope wouldn't be applicable to him.

11. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Verbeek wants Verhoek and Beerens to be added to the squad, both wingers. Looks like he's planning on playing 433.

12. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    that would mean he's getting rid of some others. maartens has been mentioned

they are really going for a young team

13. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    sounds good. Holland is a good place for Jozy to sink-or-swim as a target forward. In a 4-3-3, there is less pressure as target forward than 4-5-1 and more variety (more balls on the ground, more interplay). The center backs won't be as strong or good as the Prem. Just the right temperature.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Beerens from Mike Bradley's time at Heerenveen.

15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Re: Young Turk Jozy Altidore: from A to Z

IMHO Holland is a very good place for most american players; almost all dutch speak english well, the level no is EPL but still pretty good, open offensive soccer, nice society, etc...

16. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Martens is valued at €7m and apparently Standard are after him who will be losing all of Witsel, Defour and Carcela. So safe to say that they have plenty to spend.

Will be great piece of business for AZ money wise, but they will miss their appointed leader since Schaars had also left earlier.

Glasgow Rangers are now said to be also after Verhoek, so to avoid ending up in a bidding war I can see AZ making Beerens a priority buy.

Can definetely see this as their future line-up (should Martens leave and Beerens comes in);

Romero

Marcellis - Moisander - Viergever - Poulsen

Elm - Boymans - Wernbloom

Beerens - Altidore - Gudmundsson​

17. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i prefer verhoek. but there very alike so it wouldn't hurt to get beerens. its exciting to see all these good attacking players in your formation around jozy. but wheres the CDM

Romero

Marcellis - Moisander - Viergever - Poulsen

Elm - Boymans - Wernbloom

Beerens - Altidore - Gudmundsson

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I remember him from Beez's time at PSV.

19. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    were getting closer.

jozy twitter:
    See you later Florida. Next stop Amsterdam. #Blessed
    :cool:

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    is this true? found it on wikipedia

Satellite clubs

On 22 May 2009, Dirk Scheringa announced a cooperation with Bayern Munich;[6] the club has first-option rights for the AZ contracted players.[7]

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Scheringa is long gone ... as is his money.

22. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    verhoek s not going, hagenees only wants to the real top.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The way I understand it, Verhoek is the one AZ really wants. Of course, he is also the one with much more current competition for his signature.

24. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    The way I see it Boymans will play closest to the forwards with Elm being the DM.

25. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    romero might be on his way out. Man City just sold shay given. they were already looking at romero. he was great in Copa America. Too good to be a back up keeper