young american training in Greece and Italy

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Napolifan, May 6, 2003.

1. Napolifan

Napolifan New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    A friend of mine his son, Paul Kolovos, is currently training in Greece with first division team Aris Thessaloniki, he also has plans of training with a youth team in Italy near the end of his trip. I don't know if he has any intentions of signing with a team, but i'm not sure. I think it would be great if we had another young american player playing in europe.

2. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him! Hopefully he can catch on with a team. Was his decision caused by those idiots disbanding FIU's soccer program, or was he likely to have gone overseas anyway?

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he's not another Gus Kartes.

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

where is Gus these days? on the end of an MLS roster? making feta cheese?

5. Napolifan

Napolifan New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    I don't think it's because FIU disbanded, because they got the program back from what I heard, but the father told me that the boy was actually on trial at Bari in Italy when he was 16 and they liked him and he stayed for 3 months but he couldn't handle it at such a young age, so i think the kid has had aspirations to play in europe anyways.

6. Napolifan

Napolifan New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    I heard that the kid is on the verge of signing with Aris Thessaloniki, which would be great because they just qualified for a birth in the uefa cup next season

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to the kid.Tell him to stay away from the ouzo...

8. jlmatthews

jlmatthews New Member

May 18, 2003
    Toledo
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that where Berhalter was linked to before that deal fell apart and he went to Germany?

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Bump. Any update here? I don't think he's at ATFC, but I could be wrong (especially if he's in a youth squad).

10. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it is.

11. Napolifan

Napolifan New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    You are correct, he's not at Aris. I spoke to his father last week, and he told me that Kolovos didn't sign because of the financial crisis and turmoil at the club. He also told me that he is in Poland training because he is getting ready to go on trial with Panathinaikos, and possibly two other first division teams.