You know your candidate is losing when...

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Finnegan, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    he utters the dreaded phrase "the only poll that matters is the one on election day".

The Note had a piece on this several weeks back basically asking who would be the first candidate to say this?

Well it is Bush. This morning on his campaign plane when he unexpectedly went back to talk the press corps after avoiding them for months.

"You know, the pundits and the spinners — they'll all have their opinion but there's only one opinion that matters and that's the opinion of the American people on Nov. 2," said Bush, wearing a blue shirt and no tie.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash...s-6/1097778561235400.xml&storylist=orelection

2. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Does this normally come before evoking "Dewey Defeats Truman"?

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    ...or Bush v. Gore.

4. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    Polls really dont mean anything. It is almost impossible to eliminate bias. Plus the polls about who won the debate is not who they are necessary voting for.

Well I wish who ever wins the best of luck.

5. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    What an idiot you are...

You and your fellow Bush loathing leftist vitriols are all over W when he misquotes, but you can't even see your own...

He didn't say "polls" he said "pundits and spinners."

But then again, you're so desperate to see Kerry win, you'll grasp at every straw you can possibly glom onto...

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A decent point, except that the quote in question has what in literature we can an ellypsis: it skips over an element of his point.
    In the context of elections, this quote is indeed ominous, despite refering directly to pundits, as you point out. But indirectly, it points out to opinion polls (slightly indirecly to "who won the debates" and more indirectly, "who will you vote for).

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I sort of agree with Karl here. The debates really helped Kerry get back in the game, but it's still a toss-up.

8. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    You got a point there....

Reference what happened in the UK in the early 90's when Neil Kinnock (Labour) was up against John Major (Tory). All the polls leading up the election indicated that Labour would win with a "healthy" majority - result went surprisingly to Major.

Gallup etc then investigated to try and understand where the discrepancies had arisen - end result was that people had been too embarassed to admit they were going to vote Tory.

I don't know why I thought of this in relation to this election.... ;)

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The phrase has one meaning when you're 15 points behind and quite another when it's a statistical dead heat. In this case the man is right.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know Kerry/Edwards are losing when they resort to insulting the children of their opponent and peddling filth and slander.

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The video of Bush and McCain talking to reporters on the plane is hysterical. McCain looks like he wants to grab a parachute out of sheer embarassment.

12. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the only polls that are really going to matter, are the exit polls on November 2nd. To see if this nation experiences an even greater level of voter fraud and thrown away votes than in 2000.

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're assuming he knows the difference.

14. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that video too. Is McCain really shorter than Bush? I'd never seen the two of them standing next to each other and was surprised to see how much shorter McCain is. But it also looked like McCain was trying to wriggle across the photo op to get to the side of the picture so I was sure if he was just scrunching down or not.

Murf

15. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well....yeah.

You should be taking that as a compliment.

16. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Doth though protest too much methinks...

Lighten up Karl. It was a humourous observation of something The Note said to look out for in the coming months.

17. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I've ever seen a presidential campaign where the incumbent was almost exclusively focused on exposing the supposed shortcomings of his opponent. It's almost as if Bush/Cheney are conceding that the last 3.5 years of their administration have been a total disaster on all fronts, that they have nothing to show in a positive light in their own defense. Throw in all this faux outrage about Mary Cheney, and it's increasingly clear that Karl Rove has run out of ammo.

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    ... you're campaigning with Julie Foudy. Or is that "you know your candidate is doomed to lose when ..." Sorry, couldn't resist.