******** you, Don Garber!

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Timon19, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2008 MLS SuperDraft! Los Angeles Football Craft!

Those words will cause me to smile and laugh in perpetuity.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  3. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty epic. DG goes to the podium to announce LAFC's first ever pick and as he starts talking, the supporters loudly start chanting Save The Crew.

Flustered DG "With the first pick, the Los Angeles Football Craft select. "

Timon19 repped this.
  4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The seeds of Timon's thread are starting to take form.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    He really is awful thinking on his feet. Man.

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #81 Bill Archer, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    It was worse; he couldn't even get the year right:

“With the first pick in the 2008 MLS Super Draft, The Los Angeles Football Craft…”

The really interesting point is that a lot of us assumed that MLS would prep him for just what happened and that he would be more or less expecting something.

But clearly he was taken by surprise and, while it's an over-used metaphor he really DID look like a deer caught in the headlights.

As staff work, that's pretty bad. As Don Garber fan awareness levels, it's even worse, as he still apparently believes that nobody cares outside of Columbus and, since he was in Philly,he was safe. That's simply not true, it's never been true and he damn well ought to know it.

The fact that clearly he doesn't is just another indicator of how out of touch he is.

What's almost as interesting is that the league had no response ready. Again, inexcusable from a staff POV. So you had Mark Abbott, the President of the league, running over to the SoB and threatening them with expulsion. Then you had Garber apparently - I can't speak to this but it's the talk - telling convention center security NOT to toss people unless they used obscenities.

Again, why was that an on-the-spot call? Who doesn't have this stuff figured out in advance? 90% of the people on little old BigSoccer, who the league thinks are stupid, could have told them that Garber was going to hear some shit.

Instead it was "Oh my gosh, people are chanting at Don! What do we do??"

These people see themselves as NFL caliber operatives, but when push comes to shove they're incompetent. It's just amateur hour.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    He really does appear to be as completely...trying to think of an alternative way to say out-of-touch because it's such a cliche, but alas...out-of-********ing-touch as we all think he is.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question I keep churning over is: would a two-pole(whatever else the supporters create now) be too petty?

9. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Oblivious? Would that work?

Bill Archer repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You mean "Bolivian", right?

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just signed my Markus up for his first soccer team. What an easy process in this day.

So up yours, Garber. You will not be entirely ruining soccer in my household.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad I have an office. I was not prepared for the laughter caused by that.

Thank you.

13. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply not enough rep for this one.

catfish9 repped this.
  14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He had flashbacks to Captain Schelotto. Awesome.

DAFCrew and Bill Archer repped this.
  15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That gif is ********ing amazing. I cannot rep you enough for that. LMFAO

Only thing worse than openly laughing in a library is trying to stifle said laugh in said library... lololololololol

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did the hoi polloi start this narrative? I recall years ago people not liking the Crew BS board; their opinions ranged from "immaturity to jerks" (or both) when it came to here. I do not remember this place ever earning the title of the "worst place on Earth" or whatever some journalist tweeted on Twitter. I know I am behind, but who is that guy? "Who are ya? Who are ya?"

Please forgive me as I go a bit off topic from the "shove off, Garber." The second part of my post will reflect Garber-centered talk.

My eyes has been wandering over to the date I joined Bigsoccer (which as I have posted many times thank you, Timon, for the push). 2003. May. Nearly fifteen years ago. What seems like a distant lifetime ago.

I have not been what I considered a "regular" these past handful of years. So I took a few minutes to see just how many posts I have typed out since Wahl's Tweet (October 16, 2017). In the ballpark of 400 posts. Before that date, I posted an average of 125 posts a year for the past so many years (I did not bother to trace back beyond 2013 because I had the numbers I sought.) In short, professionally I had floundered, and personally I have a lot of responsibility. Crew were simply not my priority and that is reflected in the frequency of my posts.

With sincere honesty, I am glad to be back posting on here. Though I am a bit behind on the hip new things like reddit and Crew podcasts (what the hell is Aces? I mean I now know, but seriously?). I did not know a Crew reddit existed. I am not fond of the reddit format of posting so I will not be jumping ship (you guys are sort of stuck with me). Is it the hip new Matchnight? As the kids say, "asking for a friend."

So quick backstory - my household has been sick for what seems like months (Northeast Ohio winter + two small children + parents who work a lot). My husband fell asleep around 6 on Friday so I forgot to ramble on about Garber's glorious flub.

Fast-forward to last night when I wanted to share this animated gif with him. Well I first showed him the Flub Video which caused so much laughter. This animated gif had us belly laughing in bed.

Again, thank you, KHT. Also, I noticed we both joined BS in 2003. What can I say besides I love numbers (but not in the weird way Pythagoras loved numbers).

17. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm? o_O;):thumbsup::whistling:

18. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Whoever is talking about Big Soccer being the "worst place on Earth" does not have much depth of knowledge on Internet discussion groups. As someone who cut his teeth on Usenet back in 1993, I can assure them that there are discussion groups out there that make Big Soccer look like a box of polite, hyper-intelligent, fluffy kittens/puppies. Criticizing an Internet discussion group for being full of immature jerks is like criticizing water for being wet. My participation on Big Soccer only dates back to 2010, but it seems to me that this all started for the Crew board when the monocled gentlemen on MRPod decided that they were all smarter and cooler than us.

19. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I have been inspired this week for some reason...
    [​IMG]

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only understood the reference due to a conversation with Geeg around Thanksgiving last year.

Me: Can you tell me about the Crew podcast and Aces and who is this Morgan chick?
    Geeg: [Visibily annoyed I do not know this information.] There are two podcasts. [He proceeded to give me an explanation of both podcasts.]
    Me: Who are on these podcasts? [I proceeded to either recognize names and not recognize names.] Do you listen to them? (We both listen to lots of podcasts, and from time to time Geeg shares a couple worthwhile picks with me.)
    Geeg: Not really. Sometimes the one. (I forget which one he mentioned.)
    Me: Would I enjoy them?
    Geeg: Probably not.

You are a gem among stones.

zman31 repped this.
  21. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn why can't this game be here? The TIFO possibilities and references would be endless. But how sweat would it be if their supporters took the opportunity to show support to us and tickle Garbles testies with something themselves?

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Eww, dude.

chr1st repped this.
  23. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    [​IMG]

Robbo Crewfan, TKyle, odave and 2 others repped this.
  24. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one can resist my Schweddy balls.